EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Stiff clutch, more lubing for tranny push rod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 02:56 PM
multibagger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff clutch, more lubing for tranny push rod?

1985 5-speed. Is there any trick to get more oiling to the long push rod going through transmission? This year model (and some later ones) doesn't have oli slinger on right side, but I doubt that alone would fix extremely stiff clutch.

I think many would appreciate ideas on this particular problem, not on how to lube clutch cable or such basics, or buy more unnecessary replacement parts. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:56 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

If you believe the push rod is the issue I would start by making sure it is not bent.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,693 Likes on 1,341 Posts

It is very unlikely that your stiff clutch is from a lack of oil to the push rod through the transmission. In my experience, it is related to both a clutch plate spring adjusted too tight and the cable itself. Adjust the clutch pack spring per the shop manual to start with. Lubing the cable may or may not help. A new cable with plenty of lube will. After several different cables, I finally found a New Old Stock HD cable at a dealer and after I put that on, it is like butter.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:25 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

If you replace the cable look into a Barnett or similar. I have an H-D Diamondback which is similar and is remarkably smooth. I dumped my clutch-ease device because the cable is so good.

The following users liked this post:
aces&8s (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 04:55 PM
multibagger
6th Gear

Thanks for the quick tips. Push rod is not bent, it's like new. I've had the clutch problem for years, and to my knowledge, so have many others. Replacing cables, diaphragm spring (and its settings), clutch release components and such doesn't help in many cases. One thing not tried/discussed is to get the push rod more slippery. The clutch used to get stiffer periodically, nowadays constantly and expecially when driving long distances as if some component isn't getting lubrication.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:03 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by multibagger
Thanks for the quick tips. Push rod is not bent, it's like new. I've had the clutch problem for years, and to my knowledge, so have many others. Replacing cables, diaphragm spring (and its settings), clutch release components and such doesn't help in many cases. One thing not tried/discussed is to get the push rod more slippery. The clutch used to get stiffer periodically, nowadays constantly and expecially when driving long distances as if some component isn't getting lubrication.
Just out of curiosity did you ever try a Barnett EZ-pull clutch cable?

Old 01-26-2018, 07:14 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by multibagger
I've had the clutch problem for years, and to my knowledge, so have many others. Replacing cables, diaphragm spring (and its settings), clutch release components and such doesn't help in many cases.

The 80-85 5 speed clutch release is problematic at best...while similar in design to a 4 speed, it never worked as well. They did away with it in 86. Acquiring the components, and changing it to the ball and ramp design will do more to give you an easy clutch than anything else.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:27 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,693 Likes on 1,341 Posts

87 they changed it. Making a 86-back use the 87-up "sportster style" ramps is not a small job either, from what I've read.

Really, though, it isn't that bad. Now that I have my clutch adjusted properly and a good clutch cable, it is really pretty easy. And I haven't broken a clutch finger in a long time. Knock on wood.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Make sure that little Teflon sleeve bearing looks good in the lever. And that the lever it self is not so worn that it is rubbing on the side of the case it is capatured in. Aluminum rubbing against aluminum it's rough and under load adds a lot of drag. I had never ever lubricated my cable after over 40k since it's Teflon lined but old age and arthritis had finially made me try lubrication. That seemed to me to make it worst.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-26-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:10 PM
multibagger
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Make sure that little Teflon sleeve bearing looks good in the lever. And that the lever it self is not so worn that it is rubbing on the side of the case it is capatured in. Aluminum rubbing against aluminum it's rough and under load adds a lot of drag. I had never ever lubricated my cable after over 40k since it's Teflon lined but old age and arthritis had finially made me try lubrication. That seemed to me to make it worst.
Good point on that teflon sleeve! It's the one thing I forgot to take care of couple of years ago when I didn't find any replacement easily in online stores. I imagine it would be quite simple update if I can locate one.

Quick Reply: Stiff clutch, more lubing for tranny push rod?