EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil pressure at idle? 1986 1340

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:21 PM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Deaners1969
Thanks for all the replies!. Sorry i did not get to them sooner. Im still trying to find on here where you set an email alert for a reply on a post or thread you are watching.

Look at the top of the thread for ( thread tools ) and click it then subscribe to it then the next option click ( instant email ) see pics.

The following users liked this post:
Deaners1969 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 03:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Thanks for all the replies!. Sorry i did not get to them sooner. Im still trying to find on here where you set an email alert for a reply on a post or thread you are watching.
My favourite indy reckons that oil pressure gauges should be banned on Harleys - they cause more trouble that they are worth! As long as your oil pressure warning light stays off you're fine.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:39 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I have a custom chopper with a evo 1350 drivetrain and old school dash.
Are you trying to say your bike doesn't have an oil light?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:21 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
My favourite indy reckons that oil pressure gauges should be banned on Harleys - they cause more trouble that they are worth! As long as your oil pressure warning light stays off you're fine.
Would be My Favorite Indy Also...

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Are you trying to say your bike doesn't have an oil light?
If this is so.... simple... Get One!
And Remember the Sender applies a ground to Light the light... ie Good oil pressure = No Ground therefore, no light..

Old 04-17-2018, 04:52 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Deaners,if you want a gauge then use one,don't be discouraged not to as it's a matter of preference. I like them just because. Before I rebuilt my engine I had 30# cold and maybe 7# hot idle...average. Now for reasons still unknown I get 55# cold and 30# hot idle. Same gauge,same oil pump,same weight oil. Not a quality liquid filled gauge but last weekend I just replaced it with a quality Martin's liquid filled gauge and it reads the same thing.
If I just had an idiot light I would not know this,still trying to find the reason...possibly the cam cover gasket. Anyway...do what you want.
Welcome from Connecticut..GW

bentparts (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 05:10 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Once you understand that Harleys are about flow, not pressure, there is no harm in having a gauge. You just don't take what it reads literally.
Ride on.

Deaners1969 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Deaners1969
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WindowMan
Look at the top of the thread for ( thread tools ) and click it then subscribe to it then the next option click ( instant email ) see pics.
Thank you...much appreciated.

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Deaners,if you want a gauge then use one,don't be discouraged not to as it's a matter of preference. I like them just because. Before I rebuilt my engine I had 30# cold and maybe 7# hot idle...average. Now for reasons still unknown I get 55# cold and 30# hot idle. Same gauge,same oil pump,same weight oil. Not a quality liquid filled gauge but last weekend I just replaced it with a quality Martin's liquid filled gauge and it reads the same thing.
If I just had an idiot light I would not know this,still trying to find the reason...possibly the cam cover gasket. Anyway...do what you want.
Welcome from Connecticut..GW
Lol....Man i have no idea if i even need a gauge.
Quick story, that i maybe should have also put in my first post.
-im 48 and a NEWBIE rider. I have One year with a 900 Triumph Scrambler and 2 half summers on the chopper. I inherited the bike.
-Bike was hand built by my father...including the frame (with the help of a pro and a well designed jig)

-Drivetrain is 1340 Evo from a 1986 FXRS
-There is an idiot oil light that illuminates when turned on. I have NO idea if its even hooked up or capable of being hooked to my motor. Dash is new.
-There is also an oil gauge

I had just done my first oil change on this and just wanted to make sure by asking questions, rather than waiting "to see" if its was good. I will include some pics of these parts and a pic of pops before he got sick.

i have also heard different people using normal 20w50 for this motor and others full synthetic. What are y'all using in your Evo's?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-20-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Evos use a high oil flow, but low oil pressure. Simply open the oil cap and you can watch the flow back into the tank, while the engine is running. Do that on a relatively cold day and you may well see a higher oil pressure than when the bike or weather is hot.

Deaners1969 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:07 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Lol....Man i have no idea if i even need a gauge.
Quick story, that i maybe should have also put in my first post.
-im 48 and a NEWBIE rider. I have One year with a 900 Triumph Scrambler and 2 half summers on the chopper. I inherited the bike.
-Bike was hand built by my father...including the frame (with the help of a pro and a well designed jig)

-Drivetrain is 1340 Evo from a 1986 FXRS
-There is an idiot oil light that illuminates when turned on. I have NO idea if its even hooked up or capable of being hooked to my motor. Dash is new.
-There is also an oil gauge

I had just done my first oil change on this and just wanted to make sure by asking questions, rather than waiting "to see" if its was good. I will include some pics of these parts and a pic of pops before he got sick.
If the oil light is on with the switch on but the motor off and the light turns off when the motor is running then it is working correctly.

If your light goes out when the motor is running then you have oil flow and it's all good.

i have also heard different people using normal 20w50 for this motor and others full synthetic. What are y'all using in your Evo's?
You will get almost as many different answers to this question as there are member here.

I like Valvoline VR1 20w-50.
If you don't run an oil cooler the syn will be about 10° cooler than the dino.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-20-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Deaners1969
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
You will get almost as many different answers to this question as there are member here.

I like Valvoline VR1 20w-50.
If you don't run an oil cooler the syn will be about 10° cooler than the dino.
i have "post/rail"? coolers on the front frame rails.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure at idle? 1986 1340