EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ignition Upgrade

Old 04-16-2018, 08:37 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex
Rev Limiter
Excellent... The rev limiter has a use... Most folks use it as a "failsafe" others don't worry about the Damage caused by Overrevving, especially those more accustomed to "other Brands" that naturally rev much higher anyway... Those folks are used to hearing those RPM's..

The Ability to Control the Rev Limiter... Definitely a Plus...
Tho the O.E. Rev Limiter seems in a "safe" , tho conservative, spot.

Point Taken

Old 04-16-2018, 08:48 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Don't know of anyone that has dyno runs comparing the two and my butt can't tell the difference either and I have run both... Maybe you should (at your next competition make runs down the track with the single and dual fire.... Then we'll be able to make a non contradictory evaluation... But then the question is does it really matter on the street... Keep the street build on the street and the track build at the track... I think the largest advantage it the REV limiter...
BTDT
Don't get me Wrong... not saying the Aftermarket systems are no Good... Just don't see the Advantage of throwing away Working O.E. System
Especially since there is No Advantage on a Street Bike..
On Single Fire
There is absolutely No Difference on a single Plug application... Proved on the Track.. Dyno??? IDK Our tracks don't seem to Recognise Dyno Numbers...
Now... Dual Plugs... There is Not as Much advantage to Dual Plugs without Single Fire... That is What it was invented for!!
I will Always... Always use SingleFire with Dual Plugs...
Otherwise... just another "Buzzword" IMO

Finally... The talk is always about Performance... Unless the DragStrip comes up???

Yea, I know, Like you do, Performance is Not necessarily about the Numbers...
And the term I use "Manners" is Not very Fun... Nor Marketable...

But... That is why I don't Run a S&S "D" on my street bike...

Long winded way to say I'll Give you a Point for all that!!!

Edit;
this
"But then the question is does it really matter on the street... Keep the street build on the street and the
track build at the track"
The reason I used a Street bike ... a bone Stock Street bike in My Example..
Not this

Last edited by Racepres; 04-16-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
Lets Do This... prove that singlefire or any Aftermarket Ignition Outperforms O.E.
in Any Way..
While I can't prove it but I did test it that the Dynatek 2000p made starting much easier than the Screaming Eagle ignition module.
I swapped them back and forth a couple of times to be sure and every time the bike was harder to start with the Screaming Eagle than the Dynatek.

Yeah I know Dynatek developed the Screaming Eagle module but they haven't made them for Harley for many years now (info from a Dynatek tech) and they don't know who makes it now.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
While I can't prove it but I did test it that the Dynatek 2000p made starting much easier than the Screaming Eagle ignition module.
I swapped them back and forth a couple of times to be sure and every time the bike was harder to start with the Screaming Eagle than the Dynatek.

Yeah I know Dynatek developed the Screaming Eagle module but they haven't made them for Harley for many years now (info from a Dynatek tech) and they don't know who makes it now.
Very Interesting!!!
And the Highly Touted [Cheaper] Ultima??? Same Test??

I do Recall that setup and Things like Dead Revs is involved... But... You know that.

There is Not a Good Way to "document" such things... But... I'll chalk it up to Better manners..

Old 04-16-2018, 08:58 AM
KozmoSoftail98
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

There seems to be a lot of comments not related to the OP's question. By all means upgrade, I installed a S & S HI4N. Love it.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:58 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
Very Interesting!!!
And the Highly Touted [Cheaper] Ultima??? Same Test??

I do Recall that setup and Things like Dead Revs is involved... But... You know that.

There is Not a Good Way to "document" such things... But... I'll chalk it up to Better manners..
No, I only did the test with the Dynatek 2000p as that's all I had.
I stayed with the Dynatek because they developed it and it's not a Chinese knock off.
Yeah it costs a bit more but I don't mind supporting American companies where I can.

FWIW all I'm saying is the bike starts easier I'm not saying it runs any better or anything like that because my *** just can't tell the difference.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
No, I only did the test with the Dynatek 2000p as that's all I had.
I stayed with the Dynatek because they developed it and it's not a Chinese knock off.
Yeah it costs a bit more but I don't mind supporting American companies where I can.

FWIW all I'm saying is the bike starts easier I'm not saying it runs any better or anything like that because my *** just can't tell the difference.
Fair enough... In all regards

Originally Posted by KozmoSoftail98
There seems to be a lot of comments not related to the OP's question. By all means upgrade, I installed a S & S HI4N. Love it.
And the Perceived advantage?? is??
Upgrades should show a Clear Advantage!!

Last edited by Racepres; 04-16-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:06 PM
55 Pan
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ive been running the ultima systems in my bikes now for about 4-5 years...every single bike I build for someone comes with an ultima ignition, or if someone askes for a recommendation for one...for 160.00 bucks shipped you get the ignition, the coil and the plug wires...very simple to set up..you have multiple options to use with curves and limiter setting and voes...in probably now about 20 systems I did have ( one of the first sets that I tried had a coil go bad), when I talked with them, they recognized that the particular coil manufacturer they were using had issues, all the coils they use now and have been for the last 3+ years are all an American company made..for the cost, they cant be beat. if I weren't going to use a fully electronic it would be the Dyna S magnetic triggerd systems..they have been around forever.. I say to each his own...the stock systems do what they are supposed to do..fire and make things go bang** dual fire,, single fire... I cant tell the difference though it has always seemed to me, I can dial in a carb better, and play a couple degrees of advance one way or the other better with single/// no dynos, no seat of the pants, just get the warm fuzzy feeling...as if I have actually done something... the Ultima is the same as the much more expensive Dyna 2000 systems...

S&S bought out Dynatek..they are literally the same systems unless S&S has had some new proprietary igniton curve of their own set into it//

also the dead revs..to be honest?? if you can kick a bike you can kick it more than one revolution..my light weight *** kicks em over,and I don't reprogram for the dead revs or eliminate them...

Last edited by 55 Pan; 04-16-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:07 PM
KozmoSoftail98
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like "If it ain't broke don't fix it". My philosophy is, make it better. With my new ignition it runs way better. I have done away with the VOES. It is gone. I bought a new petcock that doesn't use vacuum and the carb voes fitting is plugged. To each their own.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:32 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Thanks THC, that's what I was thinking of but couldn't recall the brand!
+1 - worked great for me years ago on my carb'd Evo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition Upgrade