EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ignition Upgrade

Old 04-15-2018, 10:00 PM
cskarns
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Ignition Upgrade

Thinking about upgrading the ignition system on my 88 FLHTC. I know the heads have been ported and polished, a cam installed (not sure what cam. previous owner), Wimmer air cleaner kit and V&H slip on's. The ignition system is all stock. Any recommendations on a brand and/or model for my set up?

Old 04-15-2018, 10:25 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,049 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Change, is Not always an Upgrade.
What do you expect from a new Ignition system??
Lower Maintenance? Better Performance? Fuel Economy?
What is in it works pretty darn well.. Till it Fails... but, They all do that eventually!

Old 04-16-2018, 05:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

There is a jolly good reason to replace a stock ignition module, especially for the Evos of around that era. They have advance curves compromised by being set up to meet EPA regulations. So an aftermarket module will come with better curves and give smoother improved performance. Even the ignition pick-up in the cam cone is unreliable, so a replacement for that is worth doing.

I would go so far as to say that any stage 1 mods to an evo should include a replacement ignition module. I replaced mine many years ago for a Crane, don't recall what model, but it came with various optional features and adjustments. The subject gets regular airings in here and hopefully one of our experts will be along soon.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:30 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Personally I really like the Dynatek 2000p because it makes starting the bike way easier than either the stock or screaming eagle module.

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 06:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Personally I really like the Dynatek 2000p because it makes starting the bike way easier than either the stock or screaming eagle module.
Thanks THC, that's what I was thinking of but couldn't recall the brand!

Old 04-16-2018, 07:36 AM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 858 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by cskarns
Thinking about upgrading the ignition system on my 88 FLHTC. I know the heads have been ported and polished, a cam installed (not sure what cam. previous owner), Wimmer air cleaner kit and V&H slip on's. The ignition system is all stock. Any recommendations on a brand and/or model for my set up?
I've got the single fire Crane in my 86,no problems for 10 +yrs,some guys here like the ultima which can be bought thru amazon for like 160,sounds like a no brainer to me.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:51 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,784 Likes on 3,300 Posts

More and more are going with the Ultima, based on price but are surprised on the reliability. I know Johnjz uses and recommends them... Curve 2 on both the Ultima and Dyna 2ki emulate the stock ignition curve... And just so you know the Evo Screaming Eagle ignitions were made by Dynatek... I use an SE in my 77 Shovel and the 2ki in my Evo... No issues with either.....

Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,049 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
More and more are going with the Ultima, based on price but are surprised on the reliability. I know Johnjz uses and recommends them... Curve 2 on both the Ultima and Dyna 2ki emulate the stock ignition curve... And just so you know the Evo Screaming Eagle ignitions were made by Dynatek... I use an SE in my 77 Shovel and the 2ki in my Evo... No issues with either.....
Stock Curve???
I thought we wanted advantages... Longevity??
Most O.E. ignitions are still going strong... My '82 Did Fail... 20 Years Into it's Life!!
Lets Do This... prove that singlefire or any Aftermarket Ignition Outperforms O.E.
in Any Way..
Like This

Bone Stock 1977 Sportster... Including the Ignition... In this Case Points..

BTW I won alot of Money and Beer, Kick starting that XLCH... One Kick Starter.... Still

Last edited by Racepres; 04-16-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:14 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,802 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
Stock Curve???
Most O.E. ignitions are still going strong... My '82 Did Fail... 20 Years Into it's Life!!
Lets Do This... prove that singlefire or any Aftermarket Ignition Outperforms O.E.
in Any Way..
Like This

Rev Limiter

Old 04-16-2018, 08:36 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,784 Likes on 3,300 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
Stock Curve???
Yes, I said Curve 2 "emulates" stock and Dynatek says "Similar" Page 2 here
http://www.powercommander.com/downlo...ls/D2Ki-1P.pdf

Advantages are that you can change the curve based on your steerable ride... Not a race track bike....

No body said they weren't..... However if it does go the above stated are the choices.. My 98 ignition failed in 2006.. K? Some last some Don't.....

in Any Way..
Like This
Don't know of anyone that has dyno runs comparing the two and my butt can't tell the difference either and I have run both... Maybe you should (at your next competition make runs down the track with the single and dual fire.... Then we'll be able to make a non contradictory evaluation... But then the question is does it really matter on the street... Keep the street build on the street and the track build at the track... I think the largest advantage it the REV limiter...

BTW I won alot of Money and Beer, Kick starting that XLCH... One Kick Starter.... Still
Just my Experience.......

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-16-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition Upgrade