Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Am I wrong to consider buying a 1993 Dyna Low Rider over a newer one? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1228654-am-i-wrong-to-consider-buying-a-1993-dyna-low-rider-over-a-newer-one.html)

WilllyD 04-16-2018 10:18 PM

Am I wrong to consider buying a 1993 Dyna Low Rider over a newer one?

I found a beautiful 1993 Dyna Low Rider in the color red. It has 22,500 miles, and he's asking $5,400. I'm not a mechanic, but I know an indy who works on Harleys. Are most parts available at a Harley dealer? Thank you.

Prot 04-16-2018 10:22 PM

You are in Canada, so things might be different but stateside, parts are readily available, both OEM and aftermarket, especially in the Internet age.

Mattbastard 04-17-2018 12:09 AM

Yea, I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, Ronnie's mail order parts can fill what your dealer can't.

BTW, I would do exactly what you're thinking. Last fall I was waffling between a broken down 1994 Electra Glide for $2000 with a cracked case, or a left over 2017 Road Glide. I bought the 94, primarily because I could make it faster than an M8, and I like working on bikes.

saltlick 04-17-2018 12:19 AM

I got a 10 year old bike on purpose. They don’t make them like they use to, I would never buy one of the new ones, those to me aren’t Harley’s.

grbrown 04-17-2018 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by WilllyD (Post 17281777)
I found a beautiful 1993 Dyna Low Rider in the color red. It has 22,500 miles, and he's asking $5,400. I'm not a mechanic, but I know an indy who works on Harleys. Are most parts available at a Harley dealer? Thank you.

I live in the UK and have owned Harleys since the 1970s. The internet is a great thing and has opened up the market for really useful Harley stuff - and you're only a short drive away from the USA! I have to import through the post, but it still works, when there is stuff I can't get locally over here. Go for it!

Yankee Dog 04-17-2018 03:42 AM

Get it!

guido4198 04-17-2018 05:10 AM

WillyD....
You asked specifically about Dealers, so I'll answer that way. You'll most likely find most dealers will not have much for a 1993 bike. You also might have a problem finding a dealer who will work on it.
At some point...and I don't know what that point is...our older bikes pass into "obsolescence" as far as dealers are concerned. The good news however, as previously noted is that there's a LOT of aftermarket support, and the internet opens the world for shopping.
That's a great bike. I don't know if that's a good price for one or not, I'm not in the marketplace...but the bike is a good choice at the right price. Oh yea...and at 22,500 mi. it's just getting broke in good.
Unless the tires are pretty new...plan to replace both.

Hey Man 04-17-2018 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by guido4198 (Post 17282046)
WillyD....
You asked specifically about Dealers, so I'll answer that way. You'll most likely find most dealers will not have much for a 1993 bike. You also might have a problem finding a dealer who will work on it.

Yup and it's no different with cars. Try finding a new rear end housing for a '71 Chevelle SS at a dealership. Fuggedabodit.

Mattbastard 04-17-2018 10:37 AM

That's also true. Plan on doing a lot of the wrenching yourself. If you want plug-n-play, but something that's current or recently made.

cacomly 04-17-2018 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by guido4198 (Post 17282046)
WillyD....
At some point...and I don't know what that point is...our older bikes pass into "obsolescence" as far as dealers are concerned. The good news however, as previously noted is that there's a LOT of aftermarket support, and the internet opens the world for shopping.
That's a great bike. I don't know if that's a good price for one or not, I'm not in the marketplace...but the bike is a good choice at the right price. Oh yea...and at 22,500 mi. it's just getting broke in good.
Unless the tires are pretty new...plan to replace both.

I can vouch for this. A friend of mine had a 95 Ultra and while in NY had a rear wheel bearing go bad. His first hint at a problem was when he was having trouble keeping up with another rider. When he pulled over the heat had melted the axle so it fused to the swing arm and destroyed the wheel. Dealer would not touch it and swingarm and some of the other parts were not available

With that said, I have a 96 FLSTN with around 50,000 miles and ride it regularly and will not hesitate to take it on a 1,000 mile ride.