EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Purging the old oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 04:35 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Purging the old oil

I've always done my own oil changes, and believe it or not just heard about purging the old oil afterward. Is it necessary? I pulled up some videos and it's just a matter of pulling off the return tube to the oil tank, and running bike until new oil appears? Any guidance or opinions would be great. I'm upset that I never heard about this. And hopefully haven't shortened the engine's life span.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:53 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,160 Likes on 3,518 Posts

It really isn't necessary to purge. Most have never done it and the new oil dilutes the old oil to a point that it doesn't have a negative impact.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

The world will not end if you don't do it, nor will your engine be any worse for wear.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:50 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
I've always done my own oil changes, and believe it or not just heard about purging the old oil afterward. Is it necessary? I pulled up some videos and it's just a matter of pulling off the return tube to the oil tank, and running bike until new oil appears? Any guidance or opinions would be great. I'm upset that I never heard about this. And hopefully haven't shortened the engine's life span.
There are a **** load of harleys on the road with better than 100k that have never purged their oil. It is not necessary at all and is only good for the OCD among us.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I started doing it. I made a scavenger and I just like the fact that when I'm finished I've changed pretty much all the oil in the bike not just most of it.
I didn't always do it but I did think about the dirty oil that was left in the motor as I'd start up the bike and watch all that filthy black crud get pumped
back into the tank. Man I hated that. I'm just sayin'.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:39 PM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

111k. Top end rebuild at 92k. Cases have never been split and still ruining strong. Use Conventional Oil and have NEVER purged oil. Not bashing anyone who wants to do it as I am sure I do lots of stuff that others think is nonsense but if you change your oil when your suppose to you will never have an oil related problem.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhousebadboy
111k. Top end rebuild at 92k. Cases have never been split and still ruining strong. Use Conventional Oil and have NEVER purged oil. Not bashing anyone who wants to do it as I am sure I do lots of stuff that others think is nonsense but if you change your oil when your suppose to you will never have an oil related problem.
Idk about OCD, but I am **** about my Evo.

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (08-02-2023)
Old 05-04-2018, 08:03 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I built my own scavenger tool also and do it most of the time
I also run a reusable oil filter and plan on doing an oil relocation mod with the kit sold by d&k here on the foums

Old 05-04-2018, 08:08 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I've done it a couple of times. Once on my Electra Glide and once on the FXR. Both have the oil filter up underneath by the swingarm, so it's easy to do without making a mess.

It's a total waste of time and oil, completely unnecessary, but what else you gonna do on a rainy afternoon?

Old 05-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
I built my own scavenger tool also and do it most of the time
I also run a reusable oil filter and plan on doing an oil relocation mod with the kit sold by d&k here on the foums
Been looking at that D&K kit but $300 tax inc. is a bit pricey. I may figure out a way to do it cheaper.

Quick Reply: Purging the old oil