EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Why I don't use the Harley dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 08:16 PM
GLW05custom
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why I don't use the Harley dealer

Other then being way over priced as we all know, if I can't repair something on my bikes, I take it to an Indy I trust. So.........finally picked up our 96 Electra Glide with 20000 miles. Garage kept, always serviced at dealer, owned by now deceased brother-in-law. Developed cracks in the sidewall of the rear tire, ordered new ones and started taking wheels off. DId front wheel first. when I go to take the axle nut off, it's not even finger tight. Has a lock washer installed, but just looks like they forgot it! WTH! And people who don't own a bike wonder why we are so picky on who touches it.
Done venting...feel much better now lol

Old 06-05-2018, 08:23 PM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,746 Posts

No worries about any dealer working on your bike, it is to old for them. I know because they wouldn't put a clutch in my 96 FLSTN and I bought it there. They don't work on bikes 10 years old or older. Enjoy your new ride.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by J F GO
No worries about any dealer working on your bike, it is to old for them. I know because they wouldn't put a clutch in my 96 FLSTN and I bought it there. They don't work on bikes 10 years old or older. Enjoy your new ride.
That's not true. Mine happily changed my FXR's weeping rocker box gaskets and installed a cam while they were in there. That, tires, springs and emulators in the forks and a few other items all done perfectly. As they've always done on all my other bikes. Maybe more then average dealers are questionable, and maybe I'm lucky, but Empire HD in New Rochelle NY is excellent. In fact their two best techs both have Evo's themselves.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:11 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

Enjoy the new to you bike, We like pictures! Post up some pics of that '96.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,277 Posts

The age of the bike thing is a dealer choice, most dealers around here work on anything. The problem is the new graduate from MMI don’t know $hit about old bikes...I would rather have an indy work on my older bike if 8 can’t do it myself.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:10 AM
GOGOBECK
Road Master
Received 711 Likes on 380 Posts

A good friend of mine had the lical dealer put a tire on his softail... standing in the parking lot he notices one of the heat shields has a dent in it. He calls it to the service managers attention: service managers response was “all our technicians are highly skilled and factory trained, we didn't dent your heat shield”...

his response: “your factory trained, highly skilled technician dented my heat shield while he was installing the tire backwards”

haha yep, rotation arrow pointing the wrong way!

They run a pretty good shop and have good mechanics, but stupid stuff happens anywhere, I think.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Friend of mine with a twinkie has his own tire machine, but was pressed for time and had a dealer put his front tire on before a road trip. He's riding the bike down the road to his house and one of his calipers falls off. The bolts were just in hand tight. He went back to the dealer a bit hot, demanding to see the mechanic so he could beat the crap out of him for trying to kill my friend and his OL. Dealer somehow managed to calm him down and fired that mechanic, who was known for doing work really fast, but shoddy. This was at a really large "megacorp" style dealer.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:59 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

^^^^^^^holy chit!

Old 06-06-2018, 10:51 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

The last time I used a dealer to install a tire I asked them to check endplay when I dropped off the wheel and tire,
When I picked it up I forgot to ask what the endplay was until I got home.
When I called I was told the endplay was 8 thousandths....I asked them why they sent a wheel out that was out of spec then hung up.
Ordered a dial caliper and now I do it myself.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 850 Posts

Few things come to mind, Flat Rate repairs, Promotions are schemes to do a 21 point inspection on you bike with estimates of repairs before you leave, did I mention Flat Rate repairs?

Tried the promotion of free dyno pull at a high dollar yuppie HD dealer, handed me a estimate for $800 to put base gaskets on the engine I just rebuilt, never put it on the dyno because they said the base gaskets will leak worse after a pull. Ba$tards just Ba$atards

Made it clear the engine has compression releases and bad things can happen if not pushed, when the guy handed me the $800 estimate said they had a heck of a time getting the engine started until they saw the compression releases. Ready to pop a artery.

Quick Reply: Why I don't use the Harley dealer