One pipe rich

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Shem77
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default One pipe rich

97 Road King with joined exhaust:
I have the right side too rich, it smells and Im getting a light smoke. Left is fine. Any ideas?

Old 06-22-2018, 02:57 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Leaking intake

Old 06-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Shem77
Cruiser

ok, I was also told that the reason my rear plug is fouling early was that reason. Do you agree? How big of a deal is this intake? Is that just the gasket on the carb to air cleaner?

Old 06-22-2018, 03:16 PM
Prot
Club Member

It is leaking between the head and the intake manifold which is why one cylinder has a different air fuel ratio than the other.

do yourself a favor and buy a factory service manual. It is worth every penny.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:25 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Shem this is another easy repair but as with the clutch cable you have to be comfortable with using tools.
You might even have to buy a couple if you're planning on doing your own work (I have a drawer dedicated to special tools for my bikes).

That said some people don't have the mechanical ability to operate a hammer.

I don't know you man nor do I know anything about your situation but I will do anything I can to help you.
The first thing you need to do is decide if you are gonna be the one fixing your bike or if (in your opinion) you should let an indy do it.

As I said before these bikes are amazingly simple to work on they just seem intimidating at first.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:40 PM
Shem77
Cruiser

I really appreciate that advice guys. I am mechanically able to do things like change oil and tranny/ clutch fluids (which i did on this bike) It was weird to find out ther was three places to drain! haha, im used to metric cruisers. I can do this stuff, I just have to buy the tools.
Thanks for the offer of help

Old 06-22-2018, 03:49 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

spray either at the suspected leak.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:22 PM
fxrs89
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just changed my intake seals on my 98 road king a couple of weeks ago. Found rear cylinder intake leak by spraying WD-40(with long flex hose) when motor was idling at 1k rpm when warmed up, rpm increased to 1200 rpm. Couldn't get front cylinder to raise rpm with wd40.
Intake had a lot less movement up/down from carb with new seals. Idles much better now & can adjust pilot air/fuel mixture a lot better also. I didn't notice light smoke before changing seals.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:12 PM
Shem77
Cruiser

ok i went home after work and got out the carb spray and sprayed around the intake but didnt get any idle change. Im assuming then the richness out of the right pipe may be electrical? Ignition module screamin eagle and i just changed my pipes from straight through slash cut to vance and hines monster ovals. Im wondering if this change could have disrupted the dyno run from the other pipes?

Old 06-23-2018, 01:31 PM
Prot
Club Member

You need to look at what is different between the two cylinders.

On a dual fire ignition system which is what it comes with Stock, a spark is sent to both cylinders at the same time.

The air fuel ratio is not affected by the ignition.

Pull the air cleaner. Then pull the carburetor. You will then see a Y shaped pipe which is the intake manifold. The outboard portion of the manifold is what the carburetor attached to and the other two parts attach to each cylinder head which is where the leak is. The leak is allowing additional air in one of the cylinders therefore causing that one to be too lean which can ultimately cause damage. Remove the intake manifold and this will start to make more sense to you.

You will see how gaskets and seals fit and why things are made like they are as well as understand how they should go together.

These are are reliable durable bikes that use straightforward DIY friendly simple technology and assembly methods instead of complex close tolerance computerized bullshit.

They were built in a time when things were repaired and adjusted instead of thrown away the way today's smart phones are.

Last edited by Prot; 06-23-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: One pipe rich