Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Looking for advise on traveling to the NW (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1240598-looking-for-advise-on-traveling-to-the-nw.html)

HGM 06-26-2018 08:01 PM

Looking for advise on traveling to the NW

I'm getting ready for my annual trip and thought I'd see what you guys had to say. I'm on a quest to cover the 50 states before I turn 50.. anyhow, I've got 38 so far and plan to complete the lower 48 over the last couple of weeks in July.. Having most of my route planned out, I was curious if what I might expect with the roads and weather in the NW as much as anything else.. I'm finding maps and the weather channel don't always tell the whole story.. plan is to head to Fargo from Atlanta, then do the "going to be sun" road on the way to Blaine, WA.. the route back will take me through Yellowstone and Sturgis.. the map seems to not want me to travel the "going to the sun" or "grand loop" at Yellowstone lake for some reason.. Im figuring some of you guys have been on these roads and can give a 2 wheel perspective.. Any advice or suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Kingglide549 06-26-2018 10:54 PM

The ONE MUST-
You have to do Cascade Hiway ( hiway 20)

from Sedro wooly to Winthrop or versa visa
Beer and Pizza and more at 3 finger jacks Winthrop.
It is one of the most beautiful runs you will ever do, I promise.
For a slower putt putt do Chuck a nut drive in Bellingham wa.
Beer at Bow wa

HGM 06-27-2018 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kingglide549 (Post 17466384)
The ONE MUST-
You have to do Cascade Hiway ( hiway 20)

from Sedro wooly to Winthrop or versa visa
Beer and Pizza and more at 3 finger jacks Winthrop.
It is one of the most beautiful runs you will ever do, I promise.
For a slower putt putt do Chuck a nut drive in Bellingham wa.
Beer at Bow wa

Awesome! I had planned to come in on Hwy 2, but I'll modify that through Winthrop... doing the "4th corner" in Blaine too,probably hop over to Vancouver as well.. so, Chuckanut will probably happen too.. Thanks for the tips!!:icon_beerchug:

rockhousebadboy 06-27-2018 08:08 AM

Some of those roads are closed in the winter and the route planners or at least the one I use (tyre) has a hard time dealing with that. Ran into that when I went to Yellowstone a couple years ago.

Beaverjocky 06-27-2018 09:38 AM

Be aware, the NW is liberal heaven and by their nature the don’t spend money on roads.

HGM 06-27-2018 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by rockhousebadboy (Post 17467003)
Some of those roads are closed in the winter and the route planners or at least the one I use (tyre) has a hard time dealing with that. Ran into that when I went to Yellowstone a couple years ago.

Being summer, I'm hoping it's not an issue. However, 70 was up in the snow last year when I did Colorado. I'd hate to have plan and have to backtrack..

HGM 06-27-2018 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Beaverjocky (Post 17467248)
Be aware, the NW is liberal heaven and by their nature the don’t spend money on roads.

haha, another reason I'm asking what to expect...Atlanta roads are getting pretty bad too, with all the special inrerestes to divert tax moneyto..

Kingglide549 06-27-2018 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Beaverjocky (Post 17467248)

True but Cascade (20) is in great shape as they close it for winter.

thunderfootblue 06-29-2018 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by HGM (Post 17467257)
Being summer, I'm hoping it's not an issue. However, 70 was up in the snow last year when I did Colorado. I'd hate to have plan and have to backtrack..

The highway is open now.

thunderfootblue 07-14-2018 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by thunderfootblue (Post 17473913)
The highway is open now.

And it was beautiful today.