EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Electrical Issue???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:27 AM
sB43
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Electrical Issue???

Went for a ride this morning, got about 6 miles from the house, and I look down, and the tach is dancing wildly. Made it to the gas station, filled up, went to start the bike, DEAD, nothing. Got someone to give me a jump, and tach is still dancing and she didn't sound right, and yes I made sure the battery connections were tight! I got her back home, and she died in the yard. Again, no power, lights, nothin. I suspect the stator has died. (Luckily I have a brand new stator in the garage. I bought it a while back because of this "what if situation" ever happens. Well it did.
Will the bike not charging make the tach go crazy? I also have a new coil in reserve....... I knew there might be some issues when I bought her last year, she's 31 yrs old. She runs great otherwise, just a bump in the road. After all, it's a HD. Any thoughts?

Last edited by sB43; 08-05-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:25 PM
tomfiii
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First check battery and connections.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:09 PM
sB43
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tomfiii
First check battery and connections.
I did that. The battery won't even charge now.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Do you have a volt ohm meter?
This may help

Rev. 03-29-17

Some electrical 101 and a little more..

Remember, the best made brand new battery that has been on a maintenance charger for 3 days that has a loose or bad connection is no better then a boat anchor with a loose rope. The connection can get loose after one ride if the battery is not anchored and the wires are short and get tugged in a direction that can unscrew the bolts.

After a good 24+ hour maintenance low amperage (never over 2 amp) charge, with the charge light in the solid green and the battery has set about 24 hours off charge, voltage should be about 12.8 volts.

You can speed up this process by turning on the ignition key (headlight comes on) for ~3 seconds and then switch it back off. This is enough of a load to bleed off the excess residual charge from the charger and then you can measure the battery voltage.

12.8 = fully charged

12.6 = 75% charged

12.3 = 50% charged (Lot of new modern cars with system protection will not even click at this point but will have good headlight beams showing)

12.0 =25% charged

Always check both the terminals at the battery lead and also at the terminal on the wire. That helps to verify connection. With a DC volt meter (one that has a feature to lock high and low reading is best) hooked across the battery terminals and reading 12.8 or so, crank motor and while its cranking it should not drop below about 9.6 volts and as soon as it starts and throttled up to 2000 rpm, voltage should read around 14.8 volts. The 2000 rpm is the bench mark standard. Ignore idle output. Ignore output above 2000rpm unless it exceeds 14.9 volts. That is a sure indication that regulator is bad.

The crank check shows a rough check of the reserve amperage capacity of the battery while cranking with a 150-200 amp load on it. The 14.8 shows a good alternator and if you leave it on a while as the regulatory will drop the voltage a little showing itself working. However, with the lights and stuff always on, it will never drop back much. If you have a lot of options, most modern bikes will not show 14.8 charging volts at idle but stock newer bikes will be close. Older bikes with lower amperage output not so much. However, 2000 rpm is the bench mark for the standard 14.8 volts.

If the voltage is only about 13 volt DC at 2000 RPM, the AC volts stator may be shorted or bad. Unlike the regulator, this is an easy check with an AC meter. Check that the two or three legs do not go to frame ground and that the ohm resistance across all combinations of checks are within an ohm of what is called out in the service manual. Also check the AC volts coming from them at 2000 rpm.

Be cautious here since you can kill yourself with this much AC volts. You need a service manual or look you spec up on line for your unique bike. I have seen about 3 verations over the last 20 years of Harleys due to ever increasing output.

If you think battery is good and something is draining it sitting, now would be a good time to check for drain problems. Go to Harbor Freight and get you a AC/DC meter for under $25 or so. http://www.harborfreight.com/ac-dc-d...ter-37772.html Make sure it has DC amps draw, DC voltage, resistance and AC voltage. Key off. Remove the negative cable off the battery. Set meter on DC amps. Hook the meter lead to cable and the other to battery. !!Key off.do not turn on!! Ignore that first draw as the alarm trims back and stuff charges for 1 minute. Now, how many milliamps (mA) is it drawing? It should be no more then 6 mA which is the ECM (1), speedometer (1), tac, TSSM (1), HFSM (1) and voltage regulator (1)

When a battery wears out, a good charge will show fairly good voltage, but the battery can still have very low amperage capacity which will show in the crude crank test above, but it really should be checked after a good charge by removing it from bike and getting a free check at a place like AutoZone that has a fancy load meter check that gives you a print out of the battery health. Battery MUST BE CHARGED to check it. Be sure they set their meter to correct cold cranking amperage stated on the battery. Never charge the AGM absorbed glass mat battery with a regular car battery charger unless it is a newer one that says safe with this type of battery. Also, by taking battery out you now know you have good connections. Vibration tends to loosen the connections or a little corrosion will prevent charging or cause starting problems. Be forwarned, these checks quite often are incorrect due to the low amperage of these small batteries and junk checking equipment. If bike is charging, no load on battery when key is off and you are still having problems…REPLACE THE BATTERY. If battery is more then 3-4 years old.. REPLACE THE BATTERY.

Using the maintenance charger can get more years from a battery but be careful here. You do not want the last start 5 miles from home. If it still grunts when you first hit starter or kicks back with a bang, replace it. After a few years, charge and pull battery and have it checked for cold cranking amperage ever spring. Even then, if it grunts most ever start, I would replace it. Most battery checkers at AutoZone and places like that do not do really well on the low amperage setting on small batteries. Not sure why but they tend to say they are OK when they are weak. If they have one that fits your bike, Wal-Mart's AGM absorbed glass mat battery is just as good as any for one third to half the money of a Harley Battery. My last 4 years befor it started grunting. And out it came. Do not put an old fashion one with vent tubes on a modern TC Harley. Do not jump, push start or run bike with a half dead battery except in a real emergency. If a bike battery is down and you jump it, throwing all that amps to it from a big car battery especially one that is running can wreck a bike regulator or charging system. Charging a worn out battery can kill alternator stator or the voltage regulator or both. Probably ending in a big dollar repair in parts alone.

It is also a good idea to always check your battery at 2000 RPM with your meter set to AC. If by chance, the regulator goes bad, sometimes it will let AC come thru. That is a sure sign of a bad regulator.Older 2 wire stators have a single-phase output while the newer stators with 3 wires have a 3 phase output. The 3 phase system provides a more consistent and higher current output to the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator takes the AC from the alternator, rectifies it to DC and limits the voltage level to the battery depending on the voltage reading it gets back from the battery.

Also remember, when starting a Harley, hit the starter and hold it in till it is firing on both cylinders and running before letting up. If you let up before it’s running, quiet often, it actually take an FI motor longer to start. There is a fraction of a second more for a long stroke Harley then a multi-cylinder car for it to get going. If you do not do this, it will kick back with a bang, sneeze thru the intake or crank a lot longer the second time or shame on you the third time. Also, if you have a habit of doing this, the starter solenoid switch contact will only have half the life it could. You cannot hurt the starter. The starter gear has a sprag clutch. There are drive pins in it that as the gas motor catches and run, it outruns the starter motor drive and disengages it from the electric motor. If you hold it in a little too long and listen carefully, you will hear the sprag clutch run up the ramps and slip. Makes a sizzle hum. This will show you your starter sprag clutch is OK.

My batteries:

11-05-03 Originial Harley 3 years

08-07-06 Harley 6.5 years (nursed way too long and was grunting and banging often)

04-29-13 Walmart Ever Start 4 years (grunting)

03-25-17 AutoZone Duralast Gold

The following users liked this post:
sB43 (08-09-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 01:53 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by sB43
Went for a ride this morning, got about 6 miles from the house, and I look down, and the tach is dancing wildly. Made it to the gas station, filled up, went to start the bike, DEAD, nothing. Got someone to give me a jump, and tach is still dancing and she didn't sound right, and yes I made sure the battery connections were tight! I got her back home, and she died in the yard. Again, no power, lights, nothin. I suspect the stator has died. (Luckily I have a brand new stator in the garage. I bought it a while back because of this "what if situation" ever happens. Well it did.
Will the bike not charging make the tach go crazy? I also have a new coil in reserve....... I knew there might be some issues when I bought her last year, she's 31 yrs old. She runs great otherwise, just a bump in the road. After all, it's a HD. Any thoughts?
Before you just start throwing parts at your bike you might want to find out what is bad first.
Pull you battery and put it on a charger for an hour or two then put it on a trickle charger over night to finish off.
After that let the battery sit for a day and check voltage.
If it drops significantly then replace the battery.
If it doesn't put it back into the bike and run the check list of Dr Hess's sticky above.

Let us know what you find.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:08 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i had the tach jump like that on my 85. i found the regulator had the hard epoxy stuff that seals the regulator on the bottom side was cracked. i changed it and that fixed it. that's just my experience .

Old 08-06-2018, 05:03 PM
toryhardin92
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Do you have a volt ohm meter?
This may help

Rev. 03-29-17

Some electrical 101 and a little more..

Remember, the best made brand new battery that has been on a maintenance charger for 3 days that has a loose or bad connection is no better then a boat anchor with a loose rope. The connection can get loose after one ride if the battery is not anchored and the wires are short and get tugged in a direction that can unscrew the bolts.

After a good 24+ hour maintenance low amperage (never over 2 amp) charge, with the charge light in the solid green and the battery has set about 24 hours off charge, voltage should be about 12.8 volts.

You can speed up this process by turning on the ignition key (headlight comes on) for ~3 seconds and then switch it back off. This is enough of a load to bleed off the excess residual charge from the charger and then you can measure the battery voltage.

12.8 = fully charged

12.6 = 75% charged

12.3 = 50% charged (Lot of new modern cars with system protection will not even click at this point but will have good headlight beams showing)

12.0 =25% charged

Always check both the terminals at the battery lead and also at the terminal on the wire. That helps to verify connection. With a DC volt meter (one that has a feature to lock high and low reading is best) hooked across the battery terminals and reading 12.8 or so, crank motor and while its cranking it should not drop below about 9.6 volts and as soon as it starts and throttled up to 2000 rpm, voltage should read around 14.8 volts. The 2000 rpm is the bench mark standard. Ignore idle output. Ignore output above 2000rpm unless it exceeds 14.9 volts. That is a sure indication that regulator is bad.

The crank check shows a rough check of the reserve amperage capacity of the battery while cranking with a 150-200 amp load on it. The 14.8 shows a good alternator and if you leave it on a while as the regulatory will drop the voltage a little showing itself working. However, with the lights and stuff always on, it will never drop back much. If you have a lot of options, most modern bikes will not show 14.8 charging volts at idle but stock newer bikes will be close. Older bikes with lower amperage output not so much. However, 2000 rpm is the bench mark for the standard 14.8 volts.

If the voltage is only about 13 volt DC at 2000 RPM, the AC volts stator may be shorted or bad. Unlike the regulator, this is an easy check with an AC meter. Check that the two or three legs do not go to frame ground and that the ohm resistance across all combinations of checks are within an ohm of what is called out in the service manual. Also check the AC volts coming from them at 2000 rpm.

Be cautious here since you can kill yourself with this much AC volts. You need a service manual or look you spec up on line for your unique bike. I have seen about 3 verations over the last 20 years of Harleys due to ever increasing output.

If you think battery is good and something is draining it sitting, now would be a good time to check for drain problems. Go to Harbor Freight and get you a AC/DC meter for under $25 or so. http://www.harborfreight.com/ac-dc-d...ter-37772.html Make sure it has DC amps draw, DC voltage, resistance and AC voltage. Key off. Remove the negative cable off the battery. Set meter on DC amps. Hook the meter lead to cable and the other to battery. !!Key off.do not turn on!! Ignore that first draw as the alarm trims back and stuff charges for 1 minute. Now, how many milliamps (mA) is it drawing? It should be no more then 6 mA which is the ECM (1), speedometer (1), tac, TSSM (1), HFSM (1) and voltage regulator (1)

When a battery wears out, a good charge will show fairly good voltage, but the battery can still have very low amperage capacity which will show in the crude crank test above, but it really should be checked after a good charge by removing it from bike and getting a free check at a place like AutoZone that has a fancy load meter check that gives you a print out of the battery health. Battery MUST BE CHARGED to check it. Be sure they set their meter to correct cold cranking amperage stated on the battery. Never charge the AGM absorbed glass mat battery with a regular car battery charger unless it is a newer one that says safe with this type of battery. Also, by taking battery out you now know you have good connections. Vibration tends to loosen the connections or a little corrosion will prevent charging or cause starting problems. Be forwarned, these checks quite often are incorrect due to the low amperage of these small batteries and junk checking equipment. If bike is charging, no load on battery when key is off and you are still having problems…REPLACE THE BATTERY. If battery is more then 3-4 years old.. REPLACE THE BATTERY.

Using the maintenance charger can get more years from a battery but be careful here. You do not want the last start 5 miles from home. If it still grunts when you first hit starter or kicks back with a bang, replace it. After a few years, charge and pull battery and have it checked for cold cranking amperage ever spring. Even then, if it grunts most ever start, I would replace it. Most battery checkers at AutoZone and places like that do not do really well on the low amperage setting on small batteries. Not sure why but they tend to say they are OK when they are weak. If they have one that fits your bike, Wal-Mart's AGM absorbed glass mat battery is just as good as any for one third to half the money of a Harley Battery. My last 4 years befor it started grunting. And out it came. Do not put an old fashion one with vent tubes on a modern TC Harley. Do not jump, push start or run bike with a half dead battery except in a real emergency. If a bike battery is down and you jump it, throwing all that amps to it from a big car battery especially one that is running can wreck a bike regulator or charging system. Charging a worn out battery can kill alternator stator or the voltage regulator or both. Probably ending in a big dollar repair in parts alone.

It is also a good idea to always check your battery at 2000 RPM with your meter set to AC. If by chance, the regulator goes bad, sometimes it will let AC come thru. That is a sure sign of a bad regulator.Older 2 wire stators have a single-phase output while the newer stators with 3 wires have a 3 phase output. The 3 phase system provides a more consistent and higher current output to the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator takes the AC from the alternator, rectifies it to DC and limits the voltage level to the battery depending on the voltage reading it gets back from the battery.

Also remember, when starting a Harley, hit the starter and hold it in till it is firing on both cylinders and running before letting up. If you let up before it’s running, quiet often, it actually take an FI motor longer to start. There is a fraction of a second more for a long stroke Harley then a multi-cylinder car for it to get going. If you do not do this, it will kick back with a bang, sneeze thru the intake or crank a lot longer the second time or shame on you the third time. Also, if you have a habit of doing this, the starter solenoid switch contact will only have half the life it could. You cannot hurt the starter. The starter gear has a sprag clutch. There are drive pins in it that as the gas motor catches and run, it outruns the starter motor drive and disengages it from the electric motor. If you hold it in a little too long and listen carefully, you will hear the sprag clutch run up the ramps and slip. Makes a sizzle hum. This will show you your starter sprag clutch is OK.

My batteries:

11-05-03 Originial Harley 3 years

08-07-06 Harley 6.5 years (nursed way too long and was grunting and banging often)

04-29-13 Walmart Ever Start 4 years (grunting)

03-25-17 AutoZone Duralast Gold

whats up man!!

So thanks to your test I was able to show that my REGULATOR was bad because I was pulling 30.2 volts(AC) through my battery at idle and 2,000 rpm.

So my test for my stator shows:

Ground test was a pass.

AC output at idle and 2000 RPM passed!!!!

NOW MY CONCERN!!! I checked resistance between all 3 wires to stator and I was reading a .6 on all wires. Started high but once I got the leads in a good spot they all read .6 on ohm 200 setting. Is this okay???

Old 08-06-2018, 05:46 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Since I am talking recient for years and you are talking antique, I assume yours is a 1987. You need to add a signature line similar to mine on your bike. I do not see a 3 phrase stator on a bike that old. Only two wire. .6 is 120 ohm I think. They are all the same is a good sign. Does any of the 3 go to frame ground with your meter? I know my 2004 shows .1-.3 for the 3 phase. Yours is showing 2 times that. Could be a non OEM higher amp upgrade. Being they are all the same and if not grounded, a new regulator should fix you up. What is the AC output of them at 2000 rpm. If that is Ok, you are cool. 32-40 AC. Be careful here. Low voltage AC is dangerous. It will stop your heart faster then 120

Old 08-06-2018, 06:01 PM
toryhardin92
Advanced

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Since I am talking recient for years and you are talking antique, I assume yours is a 1987. You need to add a signature line similar to mine on your bike. I do not see a 3 phrase stator on a bike that old. Only two wire. .6 is 120 ohm I think. They are all the same is a good sign. Does any of the 3 go to frame ground with your meter? I know my 2004 shows .1-.3 for the 3 phase. Yours is showing 2 times that. Could be a non OEM higher amp upgrade. Being they are all the same and if not grounded, a new regulator should fix you up. What is the AC output of them at 2000 rpm. If that is Ok, you are cool. 32-40 AC. Be careful here. Low voltage AC is dangerous. It will stop your heart faster then 120

bike is a 2016 street bob! 3 phase! Between 32-40 on 2,000 rpm. No ground which is good. Resistance .6 on all the 3. Thought it was a bit high. Seeing as if I know the regulator is bad I wanted to double check the stator.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:05 PM
toryhardin92
Advanced

Originally Posted by toryhardin92

bike is a 2016 street bob! 3 phase! Between 32-40 on 2,000 rpm. No ground which is good. Resistance .6 on all the 3. Thought it was a bit high. Seeing as if I know the regulator is bad I wanted to double check the stator.

further more, I believe the regulator would be at fault for vinerr code and hard cold start. Thought about getting a better battery as well. I do have an aftermarket Plex Audio system on the bike.

Quick Reply: Electrical Issue???