EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Simplified wiring for my Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Superduper
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Simplified wiring for my Dyna

I'm currently in the process of simplifying my wiring harness on my 1993 Wide Glide. So I'm using the diagram added in this post, and everything seems to be pretty straight forward, but I do have some questions though.

1. I'm using the stock circuit breakers instead of fuses. There's a copper stud and a silver stud on each. Which stud should I connect green wires to?

2. I'm using a ignition-switch from my old Shovelhead chopper. But I couldn't for the life of me remember what terminal is what. 3 terminals - B, ST and G. B should be power in from the battery, but what what about the others?

3. Shouldn't there be a fuse between battery and ignition switch (red wire)? I was thinking about running the red wire from battery to circuit breaker (main switch, where the black wire hooks up) and then rout it to the ignition switch from there. Would this work?

Last edited by Superduper; 08-08-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:00 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Take a look at the wiring diagrams here and I think you will have the answers to your questions?

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....%3D1993+wiring

Old 08-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Superduper
I'm currently in the process of simplifying my wiring harness on my 1993 Wide Glide. So I'm using the diagram added in this post, and everything seems to be pretty straight forward, but I do have some questions though.

1. I'm using the stock circuit breakers instead of fuses. There's a copper stud and a silver stud on each. Which stud should I connect green wires to?

2. I'm using a ignition-switch from my old Shovelhead chopper. But I couldn't for the life of me remember what terminal is what. 3 terminals - B, ST and G. B should be power in from the battery, but what what about the others?

3. Shouldn't there be a fuse between battery and ignition switch (red wire)? I was thinking about running the red wire from battery to circuit breaker (main switch, where the black wire hooks up) and then rout it to the ignition switch from there. Would this work?

Doesn't matter, current flows thru it regardless.

I got a switch like that on my bike, just find which one's common and make sure that's one of the ones you use. Go buy a multi-meter, you'll use it.

Yes. Mine's got the 50A main breaker. The branch circuits are fuses.

Also, you can't feed the starter relay like you have it wired unless you want the bike to constantly be cranking when the key is on. Either wire up a start button, or put one of them big plunger things directly on the starter solenoid.

Otherwise I like it, nice and simple, elegant. You can also clean it up even more with an Ultima 53-644 ignition module in the nose cone. No remote module, straight wiring to the coil.

Last edited by Mattbastard; 08-08-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

I vote for one of them big plunger things.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

If it's not too late, there are some modern modular wiring systems available, which simplify bike wiring and may help. The one I like the look of is by Motogadget, but there are others, even for sale on Ebay. The central module provides flashers etc, all integrated into a single device, including fusing - no need for circuit breakers!

The following 2 users liked this post by grbrown:
Daedalus (08-11-2018), GREENOHAWK69 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 11:07 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Older wiring diagrams have the Line (+ Batt) connected to the copper stud and the Load connected to the silver stud. So in your case the green wires would be connected to the copper studs.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
If it's not too late, there are some modern modular wiring systems available, which simplify bike wiring and may help. The one I like the look of is by Motogadget, but there are others, even for sale on Ebay. The central module provides flashers etc, all integrated into a single device, including fusing - no need for circuit breakers!

As much trouble as I have had with spring loaded terminals like that on machines with no vibration...no way I would put that on a motorcycle

The following users liked this post:
bentparts (08-11-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
As much trouble as I have had with spring loaded terminals like that on machines with no vibration...no way I would put that on a motorcycle
That's the very application that it's designed for! A pal of mine has had one on his Evo Glide for several years now, having completely rewired it.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:24 PM
Daedalus
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown

2nd time I see this popup. I like these! My wiring is like a tornado went through it, a couple of times. Maybe this is a nice alternative.

Last edited by Daedalus; 08-11-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:19 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Daedalus
2nd time I see this popup. I like these! My wiring is like a tornado went through it, a couple of times. Maybe this is a nice alternative.
Sorry about that - I've posted it a couple of times recently in unrelated threads! A pal of mine rewired his Evo Glide for the same reason you mention, using one.

Quick Reply: Simplified wiring for my Dyna