EVO All Evo Model Discussion

91 flhs ignition toggle

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:46 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

This is why we need to carry... I support the NRA.......

Sorry to hear man...

Old 08-16-2018, 12:43 AM
Cowboy812
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old shadow and my nephew
So my switch will turn the bike on, but now it will also only run with the choke pulled entirely out. Which I am thinking tells me the jets are clogged up. My fuel line was dry-rotted, and after replacing, I still noticed the issue. With the choke out it would almost ‘bypass’ the carb, correct?

already changed plug wires, new ignition system and battery, approaching another oil change, and this issue. So I ordered a rebuild kit, and also a new air filter as mine is chewed up/full of holes and missing pieces. Also adding an in-line fuel filter.

other things I am considering:
-stage 2 at least (I bought the bike with straight shots on it, so I don’t know if it was ever jetted for that) jets for the carb
-going back to a 2 into 1 because that would cause more back pressure, no?
-replace petcock and clean tank (I once had a Vulcan with a lot of issues, eventually cleaned the tank and resolved the issue.

what other things would you all recommend to make sure everything is correct and operational?

NOTE: Before performing any mods, I do plan on adding in a key to the ignition so that I don’t invest more money into a bike that someone will steal again lol

Old 08-20-2018, 09:30 PM
husky390
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If your bike wont run with the choke off, chances are you need to clean up your jets. Soak them in straight, authentic Pine-Sol overnight, it works wonders on them. If you soak the carb, soak it in a mixture of 50/50 water.

Your tank has a fuel filter in it but I wouldn't bother with it unless it starts acting like you're running out of gas while under load. Mine clogged when I decided to run some seafoam through the tank. Don't lose your gas cap, they're made of unobtanium.
https://www.dodgecityharleydavidson....91)//FUEL_TANK

Check your belt for proper tension if you haven't done so already.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Cowboy812
Advanced

“Unobtanium” haha I like that. Most of this bike seems to be made of that!!

got all my parts today. Hopefully by tomorrow everything will be back up and running!!

Old 08-21-2018, 11:09 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy812
So my switch will turn the bike on, but now it will also only run with the choke pulled entirely out. Which I am thinking tells me the jets are clogged up. My fuel line was dry-rotted, and after replacing, I still noticed the issue. With the choke out it would almost ‘bypass’ the carb, correct?

already changed plug wires, new ignition system and battery, approaching another oil change, and this issue. So I ordered a rebuild kit, and also a new air filter as mine is chewed up/full of holes and missing pieces. Also adding an in-line fuel filter.

other things I am considering:
-stage 2 at least (I bought the bike with straight shots on it, so I don’t know if it was ever jetted for that) jets for the carb
-going back to a 2 into 1 because that would cause more back pressure, no?
-replace petcock and clean tank (I once had a Vulcan with a lot of issues, eventually cleaned the tank and resolved the issue.

what other things would you all recommend to make sure everything is correct and operational?

NOTE: Before performing any mods, I do plan on adding in a key to the ignition so that I don’t invest more money into a bike that someone will steal again lol
If the bike only runs with the choke out that tell me you have a vacuum leak.
Check your vac hoses to the petcock and voes also check the seals of carb to intake and intake to head.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:49 AM
Cowboy812
Advanced

So whoever had this bike before me apparently changed the petcock and now the vacuum hose is just plugged up.

Been tearing the carb down and it’s a mess, the whole bottom of the bowl is orange, the jets are corroded and the accelerator plunger is trash. That’s my guess on why it wouldn’t run without choke, the accelerator had a hole in it, which means compressing it wouldn’t do anything, right?

Old 08-24-2018, 07:48 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy812
So whoever had this bike before me apparently changed the petcock and now the vacuum hose is just plugged up.

Been tearing the carb down and it’s a mess, the whole bottom of the bowl is orange, the jets are corroded and the accelerator plunger is trash. That’s my guess on why it wouldn’t run without choke, the accelerator had a hole in it, which means compressing it wouldn’t do anything, right?
In that case I'd run a new vacuum hose from the intake to the VOES.
That would eliminate the T junction and plug as possible points of failure.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:02 PM
Cowboy812
Advanced

Alright, it runs! (For a second, the battery was dead from sitting so long and our jumper box kinda blew up lol)

However, when we start it, oil starts pouring out at the bottom of the air filter. What causes this? I know oil goes through that area, but this is a lot of oil pumping through.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:23 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,693 Likes on 1,341 Posts

They All Do That, Sir. At least all the bottom breathers, which you have.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:23 PM
RDHIGH
Tourer
Received 136 Likes on 102 Posts

I own a 92- if the bike has been sitting for a length of time- oil will bleed past the check ball at the oil pump- and down into the crankcase. So if you put MORE oil into the tank- it will have way too much oil in her- and therefore its gonna blow out the breathers in the head. The 91 should actually be vented at the oil pump itself (bottom breather) so someone has updated the motor or just the heads to head venting (top breather). Check to see if you have a short hose at the oil pump thats plugged.- if it has been converted- drain some oil out and try again(its still gonna make a mess- have towels ready). When its run for a bit- she'll be just fine!

Quick Reply: 91 flhs ignition toggle