EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Another VOES question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 05:59 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,809 Likes on 3,314 Posts

Ignition advance does relate to AFR's. The more advance the hotter and leaner the motor runs. If you decrease the timing (retard) it will richen the AFR's, requiring the you to lean it out a tad... Let us know how that works for you....

Old 09-24-2018, 05:46 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Ignition advance does relate to AFR's. The more advance the hotter and leaner the motor runs. If you decrease the timing (retard) it will richen the AFR's, requiring the you to lean it out a tad... Let us know how that works for you....
Yes sir, especially loaded in the throttle roll on detonation range, AFR's first, timing second. Pulling timing is loss of power

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:58 PM
bentparts
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
I’m not sure I’d call the vacuum operated petcock “problematic”... but KG is correct in that if it goes out on the road, a tie wrap, tape or bailing wire won’t get you home... but I don’t know of it being a regular occurrence. Something like a points ignition or those crappy inline fuel filters are problematic in that you can lay odds you will be dealing with them on some kind of regular basis.

The issue with a on/off petcock is you better turn it off everytime you stop or you run the risk of having a siphon condition happen and gas starts running out of the carb. I was with a guy once that drained his gas tank while we were 20 miles from anything lol. Lucky it didn’t ignite.

I can always spot an old timers bike in a parking lot... even when it’s a vacuum operated unit, the petcock is always turned off. Years of procedural muscle memory or neurological plasticity!!
" Oldtimers" yeah that's us.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:37 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by bentparts
" Oldtimers" yeah that's us.
Remembering to put the kick stand down is starting to become "Oldtimers"

Old 09-26-2018, 10:45 AM
1993FXSTS
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

It concerns me that it ran good with a split hose to the VOES. I wonder if the carb hadn't been adjusted "rich" to accommodate the vacuum leak that would have been present with the split hose. That may be why it ran bad after "plugging the leak."

Old 10-11-2018, 04:54 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 961 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993FXSTS
It concerns me that it ran good with a split hose to the VOES. I wonder if the carb hadn't been adjusted "rich" to accommodate the vacuum leak that would have been present with the split hose. That may be why it ran bad after "plugging the leak."
Well, I wouldn't say it ran 'good', but ran decently enough. Apparently though it wasn't running as well as I was sure it should, or I'd not have looked into all this stuff, heh. Plus, seeing the split/cracked hose line just made me want to replace everything anyway.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:00 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 961 Likes on 458 Posts

Okay, *FINALLY* my VOES came in. Just put it on and took the bike for a test ride around the backroad I use. It still wasn't right, ran like it did without the VOES connected.

Decided I'd better check something, so I broke out the service manual and found the electrical layout page with the VOES wires on it, and sure enough...I have the two wires crossed. The V/W wire should be plugged into the *TOP* wire of the VOES (the 'top wire' being the wire at the top vertically of the two wires coming out of it with the vacuum nipple on the VOES sticking straight up toward the tank, at least on the '97 and '98 FXD's). Figures I'd screw it up with a 50/50 chance! Good thing I don't ever play the lotto!

I'll swap the wire connections in the morning before I go 30+ miles to get my prescription refilled and let everyone know if it's finally the way it should be.

As an addendum, with the VOES not working, my bike runs a bit hot, and was the reason I asked about needing to make it richer to compensate until I got the new VOES back on the bike.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:27 PM
RDHIGH
Tourer
Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Im pretty sure it doesnt matter which wire is connected to the ignition. The voes is just a switch that is either open- or closed. It doesnt carry any voltage or current. All it does is show your ignition module a ground signal or not.
one wire IS longer than the other- i need the long wire to make the distance to my ignition connection.
BTW- if you are running without a voes- you are supposed to ground the wire that connects to the voes from the ignition.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:03 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,809 Likes on 3,314 Posts

No you should not ground the wire if you are not using the voes because that will always put the ignition timing at full advance...

Old 10-11-2018, 06:35 PM
RDHIGH
Tourer
Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

98 htrd- i just reviewed my manuals for my ignition- and you are correct- it says to tape it up - not ground it.

Quick Reply: Another VOES question...