EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New Electra Glide Project!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Subscribed. I'd like to see the transformation you have in mind.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Cybertech
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has 45,000 miles on it. My father bought it from a guy years back it was running and driving then. He started to try to fix it up some and never got to far with it. And I asked him for it and boom free project bike lol. I do automotive restoration for a living and we take cars all the way down so this bike will be an absolute walk in the park compared to some of the stuff I deal with. There is some frame rust to repair also haven't really looking into it yet. When we were unloading it it was in gear and the engine did roll over but I will oil the cylinders and get it going good by hand and rebuild the carb before attempting to fire. I have included a picture of a set of wheels and was wondering if anyone knows how hard it would be to make them work. Also anyone have any ideas if the 96+ inner fairing will attach to the 87 outer no problem or do I need to purchase both the inner and outer?

Old 10-03-2018, 08:47 PM
Cybertech
4th Gear

also would converting to this style handle bar controls be easy?

Old 10-03-2018, 09:06 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Can't tell from the pic on the wheels. Are they set up for tapered bearings? If so, you're probably good. If not, some massage is required.

The switches should work, but the connectors won't. You'll have to cut them off and re-connect the wires.

The fairing is a tough deal, at least as to mounting a 96+ inner to your 87 outer. You'll need the whole setup, and it will require some mounting fabrication to be made to fit.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:08 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybertech
It has 45,000 miles on it. My father bought it from a guy years back it was running and driving then. He started to try to fix it up some and never got to far with it. And I asked him for it and boom free project bike lol. I do automotive restoration for a living and we take cars all the way down so this bike will be an absolute walk in the park compared to some of the stuff I deal with. There is some frame rust to repair also haven't really looking into it yet. When we were unloading it it was in gear and the engine did roll over but I will oil the cylinders and get it going good by hand and rebuild the carb before attempting to fire. I have included a picture of a set of wheels and was wondering if anyone knows how hard it would be to make them work. Also anyone have any ideas if the 96+ inner fairing will attach to the 87 outer no problem or do I need to purchase both the inner and outer?

The front wheel can be fitted relatively easily. That Air Strike rear wheel has a "cush drive" hub and would require extensive mods to make it work. If you like that style wheel look for a '06-07 Air Strike wheel, maybe '08 but I'm not sure. These early Air Strike wheels do not have the cush drive hub and should be able to mount a pulley or sprocket on them. The rear wheel mod is on my winter project list this year.

Search for "Aggressor on an EVO 3/4" axle " for a thread I did a few years back fitting a late model wheel on an EVO. It will be helpful in planning the upgrade.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:50 PM
Cybertech
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 0maha
Can't tell from the pic on the wheels. Are they set up for tapered bearings? If so, you're probably good. If not, some massage is required.

The switches should work, but the connectors won't. You'll have to cut them off and re-connect the wires.

The fairing is a tough deal, at least as to mounting a 96+ inner to your 87 outer. You'll need the whole setup, and it will require some mounting fabrication to be made to fit.
Having to switch up the plugs will be no biggie. If I got the whole thing inner and outer fairing do you think it would fit easy?

Old 10-03-2018, 10:51 PM
Cybertech
4th Gear

Also I definitely want to thank everyone for replying to my thread this is awesome!

Old 10-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Cybertech
4th Gear

A couple more things does anyone know what saddle bag extensions will work I only see them for 94+ models and also when it comes to an oil cooler do I have to get an adapter for the filter or can I splice into an oil line somewhere? Thanks

Old 10-04-2018, 05:21 AM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 515 Posts

I would try and restore the fairing and clean up the dash ,unless it's too far gone.The newer bags won't fit due to the battery and oil tank.You may get lucky on e-bay.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Some of us have tackled SG wheels as well as later bags and there are various ways of doing both, so no single solutions. To fit my 18" SG front I also changed to later sliders, so I could also use later Brembo calipers - it was actually cheaper to do that than buy caliper adapters! I also upgraded my forks suspension as well, but that's a different story. Your current bike has 3/4" ID tapered roller bearings, whereas the SG wheel has 25mm ball races, however 3/4" ball races are available as replacements. Those new brake rotors are larger in OD than will work with your current calipers, but can be machined down to work. Other options are available!

The rear wheel is not going to work without major surgery, for various reasons: the hub is wider than your current swingarm and the tyre is wider than will fit inside your current fender. There is a thread showing how a member made both work in an early Touring frame, but he also has the skills and a well-equipped workshop. He modified the frame, cut and rebuilt the swingarm, also IIRC used a later wide rear fender.

For later bags the battery has to be relocated under the seat, or could be put inside the 'new' bag I suppose, but once again there are options. They don't bolt on, but can be made to work.

Anything is possible however, and we will be looking over your shoulder with interest......

Last edited by grbrown; 10-04-2018 at 05:49 AM.

Quick Reply: New Electra Glide Project!