EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Back on the road!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 05:04 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Default Back on the road!

Well, a few months ago I posted that I thought I'd blown up my bike. I ripped out my motor and sent it off to Hillside Cycles for a rebuild (it had a broken piston). Got everything buttoned back up and went for my first ride this morning. What a difference! Nice and tight, sounds better too. Sure feels good to be riding again.

carl

Old 10-06-2018, 06:02 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Congratulations on a successful rebuild. Bravo!

Old 10-06-2018, 06:49 PM
yellowstone kelly
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts

Hell yeah!

Nice to hear it all worked out and you're back in the breeze!

Old 10-06-2018, 07:39 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Had wondered about how this worked out. Good to hear

WP

Old 10-06-2018, 08:30 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

Pictures!

Old 10-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Good to hear Carl!

Old 10-06-2018, 09:51 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Well, a few months ago I posted that I thought I'd blown up my bike. I ripped out my motor and sent it off to Hillside Cycles for a rebuild (it had a broken piston). Got everything buttoned back up and went for my first ride this morning. What a difference! Nice and tight, sounds better too. Sure feels good to be riding again.

carl
Very cool. What all went into your rebuild?

Old 10-07-2018, 06:47 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Hillside tore the engine down and even split the cases. Since there was metal in the oil they split the crankcase and inspected it. One of the crank bearings was bad so they replaced it. They also put an S&S oil pump in it. New Wiseco forged pistons, freshened up the cylinders and a valve job. New pushrods, tappets, etc. Basically, the engine I got is now better than new. I think the cam was scored as well so a new cam and inner cam bearing. I even got a shiny new chrome oil filter.

While they were working on my motor I pulled the oil pan and checked for metal particles. I also replaced all the oil lines. The clutch plates were worn to within .007" of needing to be replaced so I put in a new Barnett clutch pack. I replaced the lower front motor mount; it looked pretty worn out. The transmission had been leaking oil so I replaced the shifter shaft seal, mainshaft seal, quad seal, and that bushing that's pressed on to the shaft (it had moved out). Just about all the inner primary seals were replaced too. Everything was nasty and covered in grease, grime, dirt, and oil so I cleaned all parts. All the bolts were cleaned as well so the loctite would hold. Some had rust on them or were covered in white sticky crud (probably OEM thread locker). It took quite a while just to clean the threads. The cam position sensor was melted so I put in a new one. While I had the tank off I also cleaned it and put in a new filter and fuel pump. There was a lot of rubbery crap clogging up the crossover tube that I pulled out. I should get more miles to the tank now. Lastly, I replaced all of the exhaust clamps. HD recommends they be replaced every time they are changed. I'm not sure if that's necessary but I did it.

I had to buy several specialty tools to rebuild the primary. Cost me about $300, roughly. I also bought a hoist to get the engine in and out of the frame (it was very handy) and to lift the crate I build for shipping the engine. I think the total cost was maybe $4,000. If I had to do it all over again I think the only thing I would do differently is not torque the starter jackshaft screw too tight and break it.

carl

Old 10-07-2018, 07:36 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,629 Likes on 843 Posts

Happy for you, nothing better than a fresh motor done right. Don't know how much you miss riding until you can't and yes, keep everyone updated.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:01 PM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 860 Likes on 514 Posts

Good to hear ur back on the road.It's always fun to have another "new" experience with your ride.Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Back on the road!