EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1985 FXST evo 4 speed, You know [THE LEAK]

Old 10-15-2018, 07:16 PM
squidly
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1985 FXST evo 4 speed, You know [THE LEAK]

Ok so i have {THE LEAK}
Did for a long time. just a drip here and there, but now the drip is a pour. Pulled the primary and looking on line for seals and gaskets. Thought I would change the race that's pressed on the main shaft to the up grade bearing with the race in it, since I need to pull the race to get to the seal at the drive gear. I don't know why but the price for the bearing and the seal for the inner primary very quite a bit. From $10 to $50. Whats the difference, quality? Even on amazon the Baker bearing with the same part number you can find 2 different prices and the seller is Baker. So I guess what I would like to know is, has any one else shopped around for this bearing and seal upgrade and what did you go with? Just trying not to do the job twist.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:48 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by squidly
Ok so i have {THE LEAK}
Did for a long time. just a drip here and there, but now the drip is a pour. Pulled the primary and looking on line for seals and gaskets. Thought I would change the race that's pressed on the main shaft to the up grade bearing with the race in it, since I need to pull the race to get to the seal at the drive gear. I don't know why but the price for the bearing and the seal for the inner primary very quite a bit. From $10 to $50. Whats the difference, quality? Even on amazon the Baker bearing with the same part number you can find 2 different prices and the seller is Baker. So I guess what I would like to know is, has any one else shopped around for this bearing and seal upgrade and what did you go with? Just trying not to do the job twist.
I went with the Baker.
No problems so far.

The following users liked this post:
squidly (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:00 PM
squidly
Novice

Yeah I guess the Baker is the way to go. I just can't believe the price differences in this bearing. Thanks

Old 10-15-2018, 09:32 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Yeah I guess the Baker is the way to go. I just can't believe the price differences in this bearing. Thanks
The price difference is about $5 and while the bearing is made by Baker the ones on Amazon are sold by someone else.
One seller is Purely Power Sports and the other is Zagmoto.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:28 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,164 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Ok so i have {THE LEAK}

Might as well pull the trans and get it on the bench...the true source of the leak is the main gear bushing...never stop the leak for long till you replace that.

I fought mine for years ...finally gave up and bought a baker 6 in a 4 speed case...no more leak...but the trans is worth as much as the bike...

http://www.caimag.com/wordpress/2010...real-solution/

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 10-16-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:53 PM
squidly
Novice

100 0537
Its not leaking at the drive gear bushing. The drive gear feels solid yet.Its leaking between the spacer and the drive gear. I would love to put in a 6 in 4 trans but that's too much $$$ right now. I already ordered one of Ray's special spacers. I'm going to but this thing back together and hope for the best. If it leaks and depending how bad ill pull the trans and do a rebuild with a new drive gear bushing. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by squidly; 10-16-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:57 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 498 Posts

nice looking scooter.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:57 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,791 Likes on 3,302 Posts

100 0537
[/QOUTE]squidly..... Its not leaking at the drive gear bushing. The drive gear feels solid yet.Its leaking between the spacer and the drive gear. I would love to put in a 6 in 4 trans but that's too much $$$ right now. I already ordered one of Ray's special spacers. I'm going to but this thing back together and hope for the best. If it leaks and depending how bad ill pull the trans and do a rebuild with a new drive gear bushing. Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

This is the most common leak on these 4 speeds. Tom84FXST is correct. Very easy to do while the primary is off. Mine did it as well sept I had a guy machine one for me before I knew of other choices... Time to listen up here..... Nice bike though......

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 10-17-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:30 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

two things some hi gear bushings with the hi end yadda yadda gear oil actually wear out the steel on the mainshaft under the bushing -

tom is correct BTW --- and many others have ignored the bushing and bought rays seal slinger as its easyer to do -

cant tell you how many guys have called us in the spring about just what your doing

The following users liked this post:
squidly (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 07:33 PM
squidly
Novice

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. Now I'm thinking I should pull the trans and get to that drive gear. As least then I could feel confident after its all back together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 FXST evo 4 speed, You know [THE LEAK]