EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Quick question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 01:22 PM
BB.No8
Tourer

Received 193 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
No one near me who I know of that does this stuff, so I'm on my own pretty much, heh. It's the one bad thing about where I live. Hell, *I'm* the one people come to to help fix their bikes...wait, *came* to...I sold the twin cam 2 years ago, so I also sold off all those tools for it, lol. I'm on my own now as all the people I know that ride, ride new. I'm the only one with an old bike on the road.

No indie's anywhere in these parts that I trust. Went to the one and only I found, just to have a new tire put on the front. They snapped one of the bolts holding the fork holder on the bottom of the right fork. Luckily I was standing there and they were able to fix it. The only other closest I know of is over 85 miles away, and the only vehicle I can borrow gets me 15 mpg...I can't afford that.

Steel breather gear is $90 for a Made in America (I try as hard as possible to never use/buy anything else) S&S. We'll see after I pay off the bills first thing at the beginning of the month if I can afford one.

Appreciate the hints and encouragement folks!!
Here's a thought, Why not contact someone like Hillside tell them what you need and mail the parts to them (Old cam & gear + New cam & gear) I'm sure they could do the work for you and ship it back.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:55 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

PM sent.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (10-27-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 957 Likes on 457 Posts

Well, crap...something somewhere the other day made me start to wonder if the lifters I got are the correct ones or will work.

The place I got them, had that they were compatible for my FXD. Several other places on eBay and Amazon have the same or similar, stating that they're compatible with my FXD (and lots of other dyna's and softails of similar years).

So, I wrote to S&S to ask them and got an idiot who didn't ask a tech or mechanic, just looked in the dealer book and gave me the link to see that the stock number for the lifters I have says for '91-'99 XL's (it's S&S part number 330-0288 which is not on their website, but only here https://view.publitas.com/ss-cycle/2...1/page/350-351 ).

Does anyone here know if the lifters for '91-99 XL's are compatible for my '98 FXD?

Here's one place showing they are... https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-S-Cycle-3...1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

And another... https://smile.amazon.com/Cycle-Lifte...words=330-0288

Man I sure hope I didn't screw up big time and waste a hundred bucks!

Old 11-03-2018, 10:42 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
Well, crap...
Man I sure hope I didn't screw up big time and waste a hundred bucks!
LOL
Not laughing At you.... Laughing With you... $100.00 is a Very Cheap education indeed!!! I been stuck Much... Much, Harder
Hopefully this is Not the case... but... Walk it Off!!!!!

Old 11-04-2018, 07:35 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Sucks to be sure but a word of advice on big ebay vendors, never trust the picture to be what you get. All those bulk vendors use a generic picture for multiple similar items, Learned that one in the early days dealing with Egay which I do not use anymore.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:44 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Sucks to be sure but a word of advice on big ebay vendors, never trust the picture to be what you get. All those bulk vendors use a generic picture for multiple similar items, Learned that one in the early days dealing with Egay which I do not use anymore.
Learn the Buzzwords... Places like [but not confined to] e-bay know to put the buzzwords in whether it is true or not...
Look up FXR Parts, for instance and be astounded how many parts interchange to 4 speeds/ Sporsters/ Softails.... Up to the Buyer to apply due dilligence to ensure you get what you "Think" yer getting....
Hell some even sell the Packaging.... Damn part ain't in it!!!! Let that sink in!!!!

Old 11-09-2018, 07:50 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Good grief...I finally, *finally* get all the parts I want and need for this, and what happens...it gets below freezing for the next week. I'd suffer way too much trying to get this done in that kind of cold. So now I get to chomp at the bit and wait for a nice day above 55 degrees.

I did have at least one good thing happen so far through all this mess...my brother got me an early kisstmuhass/birthday present of a S&S Super E complete setup. Took me a while to get that put on and sorta tuned, but it runs far better than the stock CV carb was. Only thing I can figure is that the stock intake manifold or the stock carb itself somewhere had some kind of air leak to keep running so badly.

I slapped on the Super E and it fired right up. It's got just a brunette c-hair of hesitation when initially opening the throttle, and the very slightest bit of surging during steady speeds, but it still is out-doing the CV carb by a lot, getting me to the mph's I want a little faster.

Bummed the money for a steel breather gear, so I can feel a little better about that too when I (hopefully soon) get a chance to get the cam and lifters and pushrods in (oh, bummed the money for the lifters too - the correct ones this time, LOL).

Last edited by tar_snake; 11-09-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Set the mixture screw a 1/8 turn more to the fat side see if that helps.

tar_snake (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah, was thinking the same because I had to go a smaller intermediate jet as startup was giving a puff of black smoke (too rich according to the tuning stuff). So now I'll turn the idle mix out just a little as you say and see if that does it. Their instructions for setting it 'halfway between' lean and stumbling and rich and stumbling had an awful lot of play there, heh. Still, it sure is a lot easier to tune than the CV (it's easier to get the bowl off the CV though. I'm going to get the extended screws for the carb to make it easier though... https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/lowbr...ws-chrome.html ).

Last edited by tar_snake; 11-09-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:59 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

E on a stock evo likes .0295 on the intermediate jet and 68 or 70 for the main, with warmed up motor the mixture screw should be just at 1-1/2 turns out with a hair either way if a 1/2 turn away from that go up or down a jet accordingly , make sure at an idle the accelerator pump port isn't dribbling gas, adjust if needed had a few I've had to file the rod down a bit for this.

tar_snake (11-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Quick question...