EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Quick question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 04:59 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 957 Likes on 457 Posts

Yes, positive of it. I laid out one of my rags and as I took on tube out I'd lay it on the rag, then took the old o-rings out and put them on the respective ends near the tube, so I could see I got everything out.

Thing is, all 4 tubes were like this - so tight that the clips wouldn't go back on. I ordered springs too with the clips, the old ones are rusty and rough looking and maybe they're not compressing right anymore or something.

It'll take a couple days for both packages to get to me, so not sure if it'll help or hinder the frustration, lol.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:26 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Okay...went out this morning to start working early...damn the cold, damn the torpedoes, damn no new retainer clips or springs yet.

Got the intake puchrod tube off and the upper o-ring out and it was nicked on two sides 180 degrees apart from each other. Must have been my gorilla handling. No biggie, I had plenty extra and replaced it and got the retaining clip back on it, backed the bike out in case it was going to leak again so I don't get more oil on my parking spot, fired the bike up and let it warm up.

After about 5 minutes it was looking good then I look once more - oil leaking! I ****, moan, bitch, cuss, throw rocks at the dog and turn the bike off, go inside to get some coffee and get more wound up and to let the bike cool off.

Go back out after about 30 or 40 minutes and it's plenty cool enough to work on. Get down low at the side and fire it up to see where it's leaking and this time it's the damned exahust tube at the top (rear jug like the intake was)!

Go and get the tools I need, a new o-ring and get to taking everything off to see just WTF.

I couldn't see a damn thing wrong with this o-ring. Nothing. But for ***** sake I put a new one in, buttoned it all back up and fired up the bike to let it get hot again (I figured the hotter the oil, the thinner to let it leak again if it was going to).

**EXCELSIOR!!** No damn leaks! Put tools away, go inside get my stuff I get when I ride, get geared up, hop on bike and ride 3 miles to the bank parking lot to get off and let it idle while I hop off to look it over. Still not leaking! I've got this big, stupid ****-eating grin on my face, hop back on and head out to road test it and of course the new cam and carb for real. Bike fires on the first lick, every time! Even cold and with the enrichener up! Man I'm lovin' it!

My baby is working like it's supposed to!! I love the hell out of this cam! I've got some power now compared to the stock cam (it was an N grind, by the way). I have to get used to the throttle on this carb and the cam, it wants to leap out from under me if I give it any amount of gas from a stop. Has a nice bit of passing power - up through 75 at least. I couldn't test any higher speeds as I was on roads the cops like to watch on weekends and didn't want to get too far from the house onto the interstate til I was sure of the bike not leaking and working correctly.

This cam does a lot better at passing. It still has just the very tiniest, barely noticable surge at any speed now in the proper gear for their speeds, but it's not bad enough to even think about. It also looks like I'm going to keep my mpg's compared to stock...this I was really hoping for a lot. It's also actually slightly quieter than the stock cam out the exhaust pipes, if that can be possible. Still doesn't have that Harley lope that I'm so used to (and I mean compared at any idle speed with the stock cam). It sounds good, but it sure is different. Had another grey hair who's 72 (16 years older than me) and been riding Harley's for 40+ years hear me pull up and stop at a little convenience store/gas station and ask me what cam I put in the bike - he heard the difference too. He has a '99 Super Glide Sport 88".

Overall, in this 50 miles I just did, I'm very happy with the difference the cam and carb have made compared to stock. I'm happy, real happy. Life's good as far as I'm concerned.

I sure do appreciate all you guys putting up with my bitching, my problems and my pain and for helping me so much. It truly and honestly is greatly appreciated very much. You're good people.

Last edited by tar_snake; 11-18-2018 at 02:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 03:15 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

I am truly very happy for you.. been through many trials and tribulations myself so I know how it feels.. what Jets you running? Good for you brother.. Ride smart, Ride safe....

tar_snake (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 04:04 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Congrats man!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's truly a great feeling when an annoying problem gets fixed!!!!!!

tar_snake (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 04:33 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Happy New Year tar snake !!!
Now I’m jelous. But happy at the same
time

tar_snake (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:49 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

I went with the next smaller from the .0295 (I think that's the jet size that they put in it standard when new). So whatever the next smaller size is .0269(?) (I *thought* I wrote it down but I'll be damned if I can find it now, *sigh*, *mutter*). The .0295 was running just a brunette c-hair rich. I know it's not running too lean because 1) when I pulled in and parked, there wasn't hardly any of the crinkling or crankling one hears from the exhaust as it instantly starts to cool off...actually there was barely any at all compared to when I had the CV on it. and 2) it isn't smoking anymore at idle like it was with the standard in it even after piddling with the air-mix trying to get it to stop smoking. It runs like a top now.

I'll tell ya, it was a hellacious relief, because as I've said, I *need* this bike to be able to do anything, so having it running again took a behemoth-sized load off my shoulders. Now I *know* I can make it to the doctor or get my groceries or get a refill of my meds etc. I may even put it to a better test and go see a buddy who can't ride for a while (or maybe not even ever again) because he just recently had a stroke and his eyesight is all screwed up. He has a '76 FLH shovelhead and I might try to get it from him to have myself a backup so I don't have to stress so much like I just did if one bike goes down for whatever reason. He's 80 miles away, so it'll be a better ride and test for the bike and I'll get to look at the FLH since my buddy doesn't work on bikes at all and I can see what shape it's in.

Oh, and I need to tell off on myself and show that *I* should be the poster boy for the term 'Stupid Should Hurt' for a while...

The last pushrod tube I was fixing, I realized I'd been trying to put the damned retainer clips on *backwards*...I was putting the *bottom* of the clip in the top of the spring cup and trying to make the top of the clip slide and fit under the lip of the top of the tube! For some reason, the last clip, without even realizing what I'd done, I put it on the correct way - putting the top of the clip up under the lip at the top of the tube and sliding the bottom down into teh groove of the spring cup. It was so much easier I actually stopped and blinked and had to think for a second or two *WTF*, and then it hit me like a ton of lead! I just shook my head and wished I could have kicked my own *** for being so f'ing stupid! If I'd had a friend there, I'd have told him to hit me hard enough to try and knock a tooth out. All this time I'd been making it hard on myself. Oh well, hopefully this will help someone out who's never done a pushrod swap before and they'll get to chuckle and put their **** on right and easy the *FIRST* time, LMOA.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:29 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Yea, I did notice myself (if you look close enough) the difference in the two ends of the retaining clip.. don't beat yourself up on that one. One end is flared a little the other is straight cut... As for the Jets, you had said it surges a little, usually a lean condition will cause that. Normally the .0295" jet is the go to for a cam upgrade in an 80"er. timing will also play a role... Go see your buddy.. I can actually see the **** eatin grin on your face right now...

tar_snake (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:30 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
I went with the next smaller from the .0295 (I think that's the jet size that they put in it standard when new). So whatever the next smaller size is .0269(?) (I *thought* I wrote it down but I'll be damned if I can find it now, *sigh*, *mutter*). The .0295 was running just a brunette c-hair rich. I know it's not running too lean because 1) when I pulled in and parked, there wasn't hardly any of the crinkling or crankling one hears from the exhaust as it instantly starts to cool off...actually there was barely any at all compared to when I had the CV on it. and 2) it isn't smoking anymore at idle like it was with the standard in it even after piddling with the air-mix trying to get it to stop smoking. It runs like a top now.

I'll tell ya, it was a hellacious relief, because as I've said, I *need* this bike to be able to do anything, so having it running again took a behemoth-sized load off my shoulders. Now I *know* I can make it to the doctor or get my groceries or get a refill of my meds etc. I may even put it to a better test and go see a buddy who can't ride for a while (or maybe not even ever again) because he just recently had a stroke and his eyesight is all screwed up. He has a '76 FLH shovelhead and I might try to get it from him to have myself a backup so I don't have to stress so much like I just did if one bike goes down for whatever reason. He's 80 miles away, so it'll be a better ride and test for the bike and I'll get to look at the FLH since my buddy doesn't work on bikes at all and I can see what shape it's in.

Oh, and I need to tell off on myself and show that *I* should be the poster boy for the term 'Stupid Should Hurt' for a while...

The last pushrod tube I was fixing, I realized I'd been trying to put the damned retainer clips on *backwards*...I was putting the *bottom* of the clip in the top of the spring cup and trying to make the top of the clip slide and fit under the lip of the top of the tube! For some reason, the last clip, without even realizing what I'd done, I put it on the correct way - putting the top of the clip up under the lip at the top of the tube and sliding the bottom down into teh groove of the spring cup. It was so much easier I actually stopped and blinked and had to think for a second or two *WTF*, and then it hit me like a ton of lead! I just shook my head and wished I could have kicked my own *** for being so f'ing stupid! If I'd had a friend there, I'd have told him to hit me hard enough to try and knock a tooth out. All this time I'd been making it hard on myself. Oh well, hopefully this will help someone out who's never done a pushrod swap before and they'll get to chuckle and put their **** on right and easy the *FIRST* time, LMOA.
The next size down from 0.0295 is 0.0280.

I can see how you would have problems trying to put the spring clip in that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tar_snake (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:02 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

That's it...the .0280 is what I have in it now. I'll see how it does on the longer haul and might swap back to the .0295 and adjust the mixture screw. I really would like to keep the mpg's I was getting with the CV, but sure don't want it running too lean. Yeah, I really uglied-up the underside of the fin a little bit next to the first tube I was trying to make the clip fit back in that first night I was doing that, some nasty scratches. Nothing deep, but they ain't pretty neither, heh. Can't see them of course unless your lying on the ground or able to look upside down at the upper tube hole in the head. Luckily I'm not in this for a show bike, lol.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:18 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
That's it...the .0280 is what I have in it now. I'll see how it does on the longer haul and might swap back to the .0295 and adjust the mixture screw. I really would like to keep the mpg's I was getting with the CV, but sure don't want it running too lean. Yeah, I really uglied-up the underside of the fin a little bit next to the first tube I was trying to make the clip fit back in that first night I was doing that, some nasty scratches. Nothing deep, but they ain't pretty neither, heh. Can't see them of course unless your lying on the ground or able to look upside down at the upper tube hole in the head. Luckily I'm not in this for a show bike, lol.
Little tip duct tape the screwdriver, really cuts down on collateral damage like that, find one of these tools makes the tube dance a lot easier. Several places used to make them like Motion Pro, K&L supply and a few others.

https://www.sputhe.com/spindles%20pu...olts%20set.htm

tar_snake (11-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Quick question...