EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Winter Project : ElectraGlide Swingarm, Top End and Bags

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
63 degrees this afternoon and I couldn't help myself. Took her out for an initial shakedown run.

She runs well. Jets appear to be at least in the ballpark. Kept the RPMs down for now. Gave her maybe 10 miles.

Bad news: got a fierce leak on the rear rocker. Hopefully a simple fix. Should be able to dig into that later tonight and then give her a harder run on Saturday. I'm very interested to get after it with this motor and see what I've got.

Didn't go fast enough or corner hard enough to form an opinion on the swingarm stuff. Seems fine, but really too early to tell. Overall vibes from the motor seem way down compared to the stock mounts, so that's nice.

Anyway, that's what's up with that.
Without trying to find the post what mounts did you go with?

Old 03-16-2019, 10:03 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Good news/bad news.

Good news is i got her out this morning and really got after it for the first time. Second gear, 2k RPM, crack open the throttle....BAM! She hits hard and zips up to 4k RPM almost instantly. Feels like this motor work may have had some effect.

Bad news us my ferocious oil leak on the rear didn't fix itself. Pulled back into the garage, and drip, drip, drip.

Pulled the rear rocker cover, and got lucky. There's your problem right there:

Looks like I screwed the pooch during assembly, and the lower gasket between the rocker box and the middle filler piece slid out of position. When tightened down, the metal cut it right off.

I actually feel lucky that the problem was so obvious. I had visions of trying to track down a mysterious, hidden leak.

Got a question: Since it's so snug under the backbone, getting that stuff in position is a fiddle. I'm of a mind to give the gaskets a thin film of silicone gasket sealant to hold them in place during assembly. Is there a reason not to do that?

Ps: THC, I'm running glide pro mounts.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:34 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,793 Likes on 3,304 Posts

Not necessary to use silicone and I wouldn't. Just make sure you have a flashlight and you check all the way around and before you actually put them in let them sit out for a while so they straighten out and they're nice and level. not bent out of shape, it'll help with the assembly process...

Old 03-16-2019, 11:01 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

I think I'll try it with some dabs of wheel bearing grease.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:04 AM
RDHIGH
Tourer
Received 136 Likes on 102 Posts

I had the same issue on my rear cyl when i had to replace rocker gaskets. In this case- silicone is not a good choice as everything has to be squeeky clean for it to adhere properly. I used permetex's version of hylomar sealant in a very thin skin coat to hold my rocker gaskets in place. 3 years later- no problem. Your ride looks like its going to be a blast to ride this year!!! Better than a new bike!

Old 03-16-2019, 12:29 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RDHIGH
Better than a new bike!
You got that right!

I ran out to my nearby HD dealer to see if they had the gasket. (They didn't.) Every time I go there, i look around at the bikes and just don't feel it. Not sure what it is, but there is something these old bikes have that the new ones don't.

Found the gasket at a local indy shop, got everything back together. I think I may be in business here.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:46 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,793 Likes on 3,304 Posts

It does sound nice... You put the W6 cam in there, didn't you?

Old 03-16-2019, 04:53 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

It's the W6H.

Just got back from running around with it some more. Everything seems to be settling in nicely. I changed so many different things this winter, it's hard to say what any one of them did. The main thing I wanted on the motor was plenty of easy power, and I think I have it. Comes up to speed effortlessly, cruises easy. Very nice. It's still no where near being a fast bike, but it does seem like it is finally able to get out of its own way.

Ran down to my father in law's shed and took the bobber out for a spin. First start in over four months.

Video editing makes it look easy. What you don't see is the 15 minutes of frustration before this point.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
It's the W6H.

Just got back from running around with it some more. Everything seems to be settling in nicely. I changed so many different things this winter, it's hard to say what any one of them did. The main thing I wanted on the motor was plenty of easy power, and I think I have it. Comes up to speed effortlessly, cruises easy. Very nice. It's still no where near being a fast bike, but it does seem like it is finally able to get out of its own way.

Ran down to my father in law's shed and took the bobber out for a spin. First start in over four months.

Video editing makes it look easy. What you don't see is the 15 minutes of frustration before this point.
That sounds sweet ... Love the Magneto too :>)

Old 03-17-2019, 03:15 AM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

From your video it looks like you have a ton of room, more than my frame has, to work on those rocker boxes. I can't see why you'd need grease, just some caution.

If I remember correct I used Cometic silicone gaskets. When I fixed my minor problem of rear box seepage I came up with another with the umbrella valves. The factory HD greens did not seat. I spoke with James Gaskets and from what I remember some of the casting bosses sit a bit high in some years. You can machine them down but I was concerned about chrome flake. I just used the James umbrellas and they worked fine.

I'm with you, I like the older bikes. The dealership stroll I take once in a while doesn't inspire me to 'upgrade'.

Quick Reply: Winter Project : ElectraGlide Swingarm, Top End and Bags