EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Rear brake light dimming

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 05:07 PM
Michael Edward
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake light dimming

My son recently bought a 1990 Electra glide. The previous owner took off the front fairing so there are a lot of unused wires in the headlight bezel. I fixed the turn signals but I cannot figure out the rear brake light. The tail light works but when I push the front or rear brake levers the lights dim. I tried a new bulb with no luck. I attempted to jump the two wires at the rear brake light but the paper clip immediately got hot and turned red. I have a wiring diagram but I’m not sure where to start. I should also add that the previous owner added 16” bars so there are splices in the wiring from the handle bars. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:28 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Seperate the front [at the handlebar] from the rear... and see which one it is... I'm betting front because most amateurs pinch wires ***** nilly.
But... Gotta know.

The following users liked this post:
Michael Edward (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 06:42 PM
Michael Edward
2nd Gear

I’m definitely gonna tear it all down. It has to be a broke wire or bad ground.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:56 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Edward
or bad ground.
That's the place to begin.
Ck the resistance on the ground at the tail light to the Neg - side of the battery.
More than 1 ohm resistance reading ?? Start chasing that wire and it's connections.

WP

Michael Edward (12-30-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 11:15 PM
yellowstone kelly
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Edward
I fixed the turn signals but I cannot figure out the rear brake light. The tail light works but when I push the front or rear brake levers the lights dim. I tried a new bulb with no luck. I attempted to jump the two wires at the rear brake light but the paper clip immediately got hot and turned red.
It sounds like you don't have a volt meter to use for some basic troubleshooting....

I advise you to get a multimeter or at least a volt meter so you can see what's going on when electrical problems are happening.

The two wires going to the brake light are two different circuits (the tail light and the brake light) so you shouldn't short them together.

Not sure what exactly you mean by "when I push the front or rear brake levers the lights dim", but if you're saying the running lights dim, then something is shorted in the brake light circuit that's causing a drop in voltage to the running lights.

I would check for shorted wires under the seat or under the rear fender going to the brake light, where the insulation of the wires there have been worn off or cut.

Michael Edward (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 06:37 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

The lights dimming indicates a short because the power is getting use somewhere else but it's a high resistance short so it's not blowing a fuse.
Temporarily jumping the 2 wires won't hurt anything. The reason the paper clip is getting hot is because it's back feeding to the short and is acting like a heating element completing the circuit.
You'll have no choice but to trace the wires back, start at the last place YOU touched, because it didn't do it before YOU screwed with it.

Last edited by RANGER73; 12-30-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:53 AM
Michael Edward
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by RANGER73
The lights dimming indicates a short because the power is getting use somewhere else but it's a high resistance short so it's not blowing a fuse.
Temporarily jumping the 2 wires won't hurt anything. The reason the paper clip is getting hot is because it's back feeding to the short and is acting like a heating element completing the circuit.
You'll have no choice but to trace the wires back, start at the last place YOU touched, because it didn't do it before YOU screwed with it.
Thanks. That makes sense. My son just picked the bike up so WE didn’t screw with anything. Just trying to unscrew what the guy before us did. I’m going to start with cleaning all the grounds. There’s ALOT of wires spliced, soldered and taped. I may just have to get a new harness. Either way we have time before riding season gets here since we live in NY.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:24 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Was this a batwing bike from the factory? I've got the same bike, and have spent a lot of time inside inside the rat's nest of wiring inside the fairing. Deleting the fairing and re-wiring all that would be an enormous job.

Are you sure this isn't an FLHS? Before there was a Road King, there was an Electra Glide Sport, which was the un-faired version.

You can run the VIN through this decoder

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm

to find out what you're working with.

My gut tells me that if this was an FLHS from the factory, you've got a chance at sorting out the wiring as it stands. If it turns out this was an FLHTC from birth, then you're looking at an enormous amount of unknown re-work from some prior owner, and you may be better off stripping out all the wiring and starting fresh with a new harness.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:51 AM
Michael Edward
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 0maha
Was this a batwing bike from the factory? I've got the same bike, and have spent a lot of time inside inside the rat's nest of wiring inside the fairing. Deleting the fairing and re-wiring all that would be an enormous job.

Are you sure this isn't an FLHS? Before there was a Road King, there was an Electra Glide Sport, which was the un-faired version.

My gut tells me that if this was an FLHS from the factory, you've got a chance at sorting out the wiring as it stands. If it turns out this was an FLHTC from birth, then you're looking at an enormous amount of unknown re-work from some prior owner, and you may be better off stripping out all the wiring and starting fresh with a new harness.
Thanks. I’ll do that when I get home.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:22 AM
Michael Edward
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 0maha

Looks like it was an Electra glide

Quick Reply: Rear brake light dimming