EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Adapting a Head-Breather Style Big Sucker To My Bottom Breather

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:45 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
How did the fit work out? Was expecting a review a couple of days ago. Still working on a solution?
Everything came out fine. This is all final installed and Locktited in.

The insert actually came off pretty easy with a heat gun. But if you look close, the heat yellowed it a bit. Must have some kind of coating. After I got it off and with everything still hotter than hell, the idea popped into my head to just rotate the insert and stick it back on while the glue was still sticky. Seems like it worked.

As for the backplate wanting to drift, just doesn't seem like an issue to me. Where is it going to go? At most, it can move like 1/16" either side to side or down. Probably wouldn't notice if it did, and even if it moves, what's the harm? I figure as long as the ear bolts are tight and it's not bouncing around, it's good.

Or maybe I'm redoing this in six months. Time will tell.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:18 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Glad it all stayed togethere.
With the external breather hose’s in you’ll get no mess even if it did move. And if it did by what you said. Even if it was more. Any air sucked in woold not really hurt.performance

Old 01-24-2019, 10:44 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Actually it does. I thought about this for a while and remembered that when I installed the S&S external breather kit part#17-0455, the securing through bolt does have a raised section that does fit firmly into the backing plate that presets the position of the backing plate to the cylinder head... then the socket cap secures it to the through bolt..
The big difference between the S&S and the CV is that the S&S is securely bolted to the intake manifold and really doesn't need the backplate to hold it in place.

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Glad it all stayed togethere.
With the external breather hose’s in you’ll get no mess even if it did move. And if it did by what you said. Even if it was more. Any air sucked in woold not really hurt.performance
I was noodling on whether or not to install the supplied o-rings between the washers and the ears. On the one hand, a positive seal between the washers and the ears would prevent any possibility of air leaking in through the breather holes in the backplate. On the other hand, the available space between the ears and the washers is probably microscopic, and that joint is most likely fairly well sealed even without the o-rings. And if a tiny amount of air manages to find its way through that path, can't see how that would hurt anything. In the end, my natural laziness won out and I left the o-rings in the box.

The (case) breather on this was routed down under the frame by the prior owner, and my oil pump check valve must be in good shape. I've never had any sumping.

Here's the vid I put up a couple of days ago once I figured all this out:

Old 01-24-2019, 11:59 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

O rings behind the backing plate would not be needed for a bottom breather. The S&S is pretty solidly mounted to the motor, thus my comments on letting the backing plate ride where it wants to. Trying to force it somewhere else would only put a lot of stress on things. If your carb floats, that is probably less important, but, from experience, an undue strain on the carb, putting it somewhere it doesn't really want to be, will lead to rubber seal problems. Or "more rubber seal problems," as the case may be.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:20 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
O rings behind the backing plate would not be needed for a bottom breather.
My thinking was there will be could be some negative pressure on the other side of that ear port during the intake stroke, which could theoretically pull air through the unsealed ears. That's all picking fly **** out of the pepper, I think. Even if it does suck some air through that path, it doesn't matter.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:21 PM
BB.No8
Tourer

Received 193 Likes on 120 Posts

Bravo Zulu on the video Omaha, Nice of you to share your knowledge and experiance with others.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

That makes a ton of sense Doc
Better to keep the carb from being brutalized beyond stress from the manifold. Tho that is a pretty cozy
spot for it
sometimes I wonder why they even bother making backing plates out of metal. Or even the air boxes

Old 01-24-2019, 12:30 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Picking fly **** out of the pepper LOL
LOBE IT!

The following users liked this post:
0maha (01-24-2019)