Front cylinder not firing

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 01:36 AM
Puzzell
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front cylinder not firing

Hi all
This has possibly been post 100 times over but nothing I have seen elsewhere is of any value. To start with I have a 94 FLSTF and upgraded to Crane Hi 4 module about 30K back and it has started intermittently dropping the front cylinder. Time for plugs and leads so it got them, still the same, tested single fire coil good resistance both sides, so thought it must be module so it just got a new Mid-USA module, still the same. To double check the coil I transferred the firing wire and lead to the bottom coil (rear cylinder) which I had spark from and nothing but now I have spark on the top coil (Front cylinder) but with the rear firing wire from module to it. I have just stopped for a couple of beers coz this is doing my head in, I hope I have not just bought a dud new module or am I wrong with the diagnosis of the coil. I got about 4 ohms on both coils.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:33 AM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

If I follow you correctly, I would say that you have a bad coil.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:49 AM
RDHIGH
Tourer
Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Yeah- i got the same problem on my 92 with a hi4(crane). Specs say they want a coil 2-4 ohms- and coils 4 ohms and more can be used- but is not optimal. At this point- like the previous poster stated- id suspect a bad coil. I know it sucks to just replace parts- but sometimes its gotta be done. Maybe you can borrow a good known coil from a buddy to try first?

Old 01-26-2019, 02:10 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

.Look at this way-coils start going bad at day one.
A fresh one will not hurt you

Old 01-26-2019, 04:08 PM
Puzzell
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by daven9113
If I follow you correctly, I would say that you have a bad coil.
Thanks Dave I think that a new coil is the next logical step but I am also now suspect of voltage drop with the 12v supply to it, just a theory.
This should have said "thanks all", not often the ol' girl chucks a fault I can't fix but this is a bit different. Will report back when it's firing on 2 again.

Last edited by Puzzell; 01-26-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:12 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Someone else was having this issue on here two months ago. Can’t remember who tho

Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 AM
yellowstone kelly
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Someone else was having this issue on here two months ago. Can’t remember who tho
Pretty sure you're thinking of this thread from late October.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...-cylinder.html

Forum member Ihgdale had the same problem and replaced lots of parts, including plugs, plug wires, coil, and the cam sensor with the brown goo, but the thread ended Nov. 5th with no resolution.

Maybe he'll pop back in and let us know if he ever got it fixed.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:50 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzzell
Hi all
This has possibly been post 100 times over but nothing I have seen elsewhere is of any value. To start with I have a 94 FLSTF and upgraded to Crane Hi 4 module about 30K back and it has started intermittently dropping the front cylinder. Time for plugs and leads so it got them, still the same, tested single fire coil good resistance both sides, so thought it must be module so it just got a new Mid-USA module, still the same. To double check the coil I transferred the firing wire and lead to the bottom coil (rear cylinder) which I had spark from and nothing but now I have spark on the top coil (Front cylinder) but with the rear firing wire from module to it. I have just stopped for a couple of beers coz this is doing my head in, I hope I have not just bought a dud new module or am I wrong with the diagnosis of the coil. I got about 4 ohms on both coils.
If you're gonna replace the module stop with the cheap Chinese junk and go with either a Dynatek 2000i or a Daytona Twin Tec ignition module.
If you replace the coil get a good one not the cheapest you can find...JMO

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 06:09 PM
bentparts
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

I've been running a Crane HI4 with Cranes single fire coil pack for almost 20 years and 50K with no issues. I would suggest you match the parts, if you can still get a Crane coil I would go that route.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:51 AM
Puzzell
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If you're gonna replace the module stop with the cheap Chinese junk and go with either a Dynatek 2000i or a Daytona Twin Tec ignition module.
If you replace the coil get a good one not the cheapest you can find...JMO
The new mid-USA module was cactus out of the box, fitted a remote Dynatek 2000 as per your suggestion Tex, back riding again. I like the idea of taking the module out of the nosecone away from the heat as well.
Also a good quick test for the module is to use a test light to test each control wire to the coil, the light should flash when running or cranking, mine did on the rear pot but just stayed on solid on the front.

Last edited by Puzzell; 02-08-2019 at 05:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Front cylinder not firing