EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What are these extra clutch parts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 09:07 PM
lmz5150
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What are these extra clutch parts?

Slowly putting my 1990 flhtcu together.
working on the primary. After getting the inner cover lined up and bolted down, I go to install the clutch assembly and related parts. I noticed some issues.
Pics are the way things were assembled when I took thr bike apart. First, what the heck are these extra washers for? They arent in my parts book. The thick washer goes in first. Then the clutch nut. It also has a washer, but it's thin, and is stamped "out" then there is one of those near impossible to remove spring-type snap ring. Then the adjuster nut stuff, with it's snap ring.
next up...if the adjuster nut plate isn't on the clutch basket, the basket will walk back and forth on the shaft, and the primary chain rubs the inner cover. If the adjuster is turned against the pushrod, the basket doesn't move back and forth, but the clutch pull feels off, much different than before.
then there's the basket wobble, but I dont think i can do much about that. I'm prettt sure this basket is fairly new, it has a date stamp of 2015 cast into the aluminum.
I haven't added to, or taken away, from this assembly. It's exactly as I took it apart.
also, the spring lock ring had to be removed to get the clutch nut out. Is something missing, cause the washer on the clutch nut doesn't do a thing, it just flops around

The washer on the clutch nut doesnt seem to do anything, the way it's assembled. It just slides around on the nut

Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I'll chime in and say just put it back the way it was, if all was working. Don't know why it was apart cuz you didn't say. Also you should have left the adjust screw tight and just remove the snap ring, readjust after if needed. The washer stamped out is a thrust washer.

Last edited by glidein wide; 02-10-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Nothing goes under the clutch hub retaining nut, no washer.

Install the nut and torque according to your service manual.

The clutch release plate is held in the hub by a snap ring.

The threaded adjuster is threaded into the release plate, this is what adjusts the free play in the clutch release system, then the lock nut is torqued down to hold that adjustment.

The threaded adjuster rod in this pic looks like the wrong part to me, I think you have an earlier model adjuster rod (89 and earlier), the `90-`93 clutch assembly uses a longer threaded adjuster rod, and a shorter clutch pushrod, if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by Mfnheff
if the adjuster nut plate isn't on the clutch basket, the basket will walk back and forth on the shaft, and the primary chain rubs the inner cover. If the adjuster is turned against the pushrod, the basket doesn't move back and forth, but the clutch pull feels off, much different than before.
Let`s get straight on nomenclature first, the outer part of the clutch assembly is called the outer shell, the inner part is the clutch hub...

The nut retains the clutch hub, when it is installed and torqued there should be only a little wobble and end play.
Which part are you able to move back and forth, the outer shell, or the inner hub, or both?

That washer that is marked "out" is a part of the clutch hub assembly, held in the clutch by a spiral lock, that other washer may go underneath that (marked "out") washer (I`ve never had an inner hub come apart like that, but it does happen).

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 02-10-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:26 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

It's hard to say, since you've got some non-non-stock stuff going on here.

I'd start with figuring out why the nut (alone) isn't holding the clutch tight. That's not right.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:27 AM
lmz5150
Tourer

The adjuster is correct, I had already looked in to that, and the parts books shows 37357-84, which is the short adjuster. I'll just leave all that other stuff out, and assemble it the way the parts diagram shows, and see what moves, and how much.

When the nut is torqued, with those extra washers inside the clutch hub, the shell has too much end play. The entire shell will move back and forth on the trans shaft. The primary chain will actually rub on the inner primary, behind the shell. I can pull the shell out, and then the chain won't rub.
If the adjuster screw lock plate is installed, and the screw adjusted, the shell is pulled away from the inner primary, and the chain won't rub the case.
I'm just trying to figure out if that is correct. I wouldn't be surprised if not, I've found some other cobbled-up "fixes" in this process

Last edited by lmz5150; 02-10-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:03 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfnheff
The adjuster is correct, I had already looked in to that, and the parts books shows 37357-84, which is the short adjuster. I'll just leave all that other stuff out, and assemble it the way the parts diagram shows, and see what moves, and how much.

When the nut is torqued, with those extra washers inside the clutch hub, the shell has too much end play. The entire shell will move back and forth on the trans shaft. The primary chain will actually rub on the inner primary, behind the shell. I can pull the shell out, and then the chain won't rub.
If the adjuster screw lock plate is installed, and the screw adjusted, the shell is pulled away from the inner primary, and the chain won't rub the case.
I'm just trying to figure out if that is correct. I wouldn't be surprised if not, I've found some other cobbled-up "fixes" in this process
Let us know what happens when you assemble according to the parts diagrams.

The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 11:25 AM
lmz5150
Tourer

Ten4...I'm gonna head to the shop and see if I can figure it out. Maybe that thick washer is the one a previous owner meant to use for the can thrust washer haha...cause there wasn't one. .083" cam end play. Then there was the shovelhead rear axle, without a spacer...just a big washer, so the rear wheel walked across the axle. Ugh
the struggle is real

Old 02-10-2019, 01:07 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

I don`t think there are any non stock parts in the picture, the two washers are clutch hub parts that normally are never removed.

Sometimes they do come loose, the only solution is to re install the washers back into the hub and secure them with the spirolox lock.

The washer with the larger inside diameter goes in first, then the washer marked "out".

Check that the hub is not damaged at the area where the spirolox goes, that could be why the parts came out.

These washers must be in place or you will wreck the clutch, and possibly more...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 02-10-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:17 PM
m1369x
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 381 Posts

Factory Service Manual & Factory Parts Catalog together are your best friends

Old 02-10-2019, 01:43 PM
lmz5150
Tourer

Originally Posted by m1369x
Factory Service Manual & Factory Parts Catalog together are your best friends
neither the manual i have, or the parts book show those washers.
but, it would,make sense that those parts are supposed to be in the hub, the washer marked "out" almost slides off the clutch nut. I'm with the bike now, so I'll see what i can work out

Quick Reply: What are these extra clutch parts?