EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New to me FLTCU

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 08:16 AM
jonnycando
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
Default New to me FLTCU

So as it says I have acquired a 1989 FLTCU Tour Glide Ultra Classic....it seems to have most if not all the bells and whistles. My first project will be to either put baffles in the presently hollow Cobra mufflers, or I will see if a pair of softail mufflers which I happen to have may be made to fit some way.....but I digress...my present question is the factory stereo head unit. It works, but lets us say it doesn't do bluetooth or SIrius/XM or any other of the fancy new party tricks. What I'd like to know is if the present unit is a typical DIN sized unit, or if the opening is close enough to DIN that the escutcheon supplied with most aftermarket units will look nice once it is in place. As for wiring, none of plug and play units on offer these days seem to go back to 1989...but if none of those devices actually plug and play I reckon a wiring diagram will be useful and a weatherpack kit will make it as nice as it can be! I have both and will use them if needs be. At present I just figure any number of marine stereos would possibly work. But if I know the opening is DIN or not, I know what I have to do to make a good fit. I am going to head into West Virginia first of the week to get this bike and bring it home and work will commence!

Last edited by jonnycando; 03-02-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,789 Likes on 18,560 Posts

You might start your search here ?

http://www.biketronics.com/

The following users liked this post:
jonnycando (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:40 AM
jonnycando
Tourer

I have looked there, and may get stuff from them...but they don't seem to address my bike or bikes of similar vintage. I really don't care about the wiring...that's childs play....but the opening has to be right for whatever is available these days and that's what I need to confirm.

Well wait...they do have some stuff specific I'll see what you get...most any bits will be helpful in the long run but I could get by just knowing if the hole is the size I need it to be.

Last edited by jonnycando; 03-02-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Uncle Larry (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:47 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnycando
I have looked there, and may get stuff from them...but they don't seem to address my bike or bikes of similar vintage. I really don't care about the wiring...that's childs play....but the opening has to be right for whatever is available these days and that's what I need to confirm.

Well wait...they do have some stuff specific I'll see what you get...most any bits will be helpful in the long run but I could get by just knowing if the hole is the size I need it to be.
They don't put everything on the websites, computer techs do. A call to them will get you the info you need a lot easier. good luck !

jonnycando (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:55 AM
jonnycando
Tourer

Well, it does seem like I can get a complete system but boy do I have to drop some coin! Welp, can't do everything cheap I guess....and I may put this project farther down the to do list....now about them baffles........

Old 03-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

The inlets on your mufflers are a "flanged type" ( if stock head pipes are used ) and not the "slip on" type ... Keep this in mind !

jonnycando (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 09:02 AM
jonnycando
Tourer

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
The inlets on your mufflers are a "flanged type" ( if stock head pipes are used ) and not the "slip on" type ... Keep this in mind !
That's good info!

Old 03-02-2019, 11:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
But a later set of pipes will fit, as a direct replacement, allowing you to use later style mufflers, of all sorts. You can also saw off the small flare on the ends of the stock pipes and use later mufflers. I have an '08 system on my 1990.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:53 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
But a later set of pipes will fit, as a direct replacement, allowing you to use later style mufflers, of all sorts. You can also saw off the small flare on the ends of the stock pipes and use later mufflers. I have an '08 system on my 1990.
Yep ... Yes you can, I've done that later system on a buddy's and it worked/fit perfectly

Old 03-02-2019, 11:53 AM
jonnycando
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
That's even better news!

Quick Reply: New to me FLTCU