EVO All Evo Model Discussion

97 FLCHRI. Front brake upgrade. Power(speed) increase advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 07:21 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
For front brakes, I'm totally pleased with the Wilwood GP310's I put on my Electra Glide. I also switched to Russell brake lines.

Plenty of grip and great feel. They are a direct bolt-on, so you don't need an adapter bracket, and they work with stock rotors.
I did the same (although I did also use the Wilwood rotors) and have experienced similar satisfaction.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:53 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 608 Likes on 309 Posts

I was in your shoes with my 96' Road King with M&M EFI. Went with a high flow air cleaner and filter, power commander V and a EV-13 cam. Very happy with the results. Much more punch and low end torque.

Not sure what miles you have on yours but upgrading your cam bearing (Ina cam bearing is a known weakness) to a Torrington bearing. At 40,000 your lifters will probably be ready to be replaced as well.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,836 Likes on 17,455 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
For front brakes, I'm totally pleased with the Wilwood GP310's I put on my Electra Glide. I also switched to Russell brake lines.

Plenty of grip and great feel. They are a direct bolt-on, so you don't need an adapter bracket, and they work with stock rotors.

There are other aftermarket calipers out there as well. Performance Machine comes to mind. I don't have any experience with those, so no opinion.

As for performance, your description (running out of oomph at 80) pretty much describes the way my '90 ran until this spring. I went with Scott at Hillside, and he got me into a Woods W6H cam, Wiseco 10:1 pistons, and porting and valves done by Scott. All that is on a carb'd bike, and I'm rarely at 6,000 ft, so I'm not clear how applicable it is to your situation. I can say that the results on my top-end rebuild have been exactly what I wanted. The bike has that easy, relaxed power at 80 that it didn't have before. Passing on two lanes is way less of an adventure than when stock. Best advice I can give is to call Scott and talk it over with him.

IIRC, your bike has the MM fuel injection, so tuning options are limited. Don't be surprised if people come along and start talking about a carb conversion. (Mike, that's your cue...)
I'll second the Wilwood's , run dual 310's on my hotrod shovel they seriously get the job done, almost too much braking power up front