EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Busted drive belt...

Old 04-19-2019, 10:19 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
I just came here to post that! Thanks man.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:32 AM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior
Received 935 Likes on 500 Posts

Yea, and the swingarm. And as long as the pulleys aren't grooved from belt wear I'd reuse them.

Also, nothing wrong with a nice cheap used belt on eBay as long as the pics are clear enough to show all the teeth. I've gotten many miles out of used belts before.
I'm a cheap *****. I've caught my share of flac on this site for passing along some advise on the cheap fixes. With how deep in you need to go to do this fix and the the general headache it is, I'd definitely spring for a new belt. Would hate to have to get it towed and go back threw the whole process in 2-3 years when in all reality with a brand new belt you probably will never have to replace it again. The two belts that have let go on me have done so at 60,000 and 90,000 give or take. Chances are good that's at least 8-10 years of riding. But a 23 year old belts a pretty good run, dry rot probably had a hand in this. The belt is in my opinion the dumbest thing Harley has had going. Its a pretty easy replacement on a sporty, why does it have to be such a big project to replace on a full size bike.

If your fairly mechanically inclined its a doable job. I think the only special tool you need is the lockup block for the primary chain. Its a cheap tool but it makes all the difference. I've heard of guys getting it done with a hockey puck but that hasn't worked for me. Its not a super hard job to take on, it just takes a while.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Sprocket for a chain, pulley for a belt.
If it has teeth, it's a sprocket. Why wouldn't you want to use the proper description or the description that the factory uses for the part?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...l#post18090246

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...l#post18090129

Old 04-19-2019, 12:00 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

another choice would be chain drive. You will not need to remove the swing arm and you can dial in your gearing as easy as a rear sprocket. its cheaper, stronger messier (is that a word) and can be fixed on the side of the road. i just paid vulcan works around 325$ shipped for my evo....waaaay cheaper on labor if the swing arm stays put.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
If it has teeth, it's a sprocket. Why wouldn't you want to use the proper description or the description that the factory uses for the part?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...l#post18090246

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...l#post18090129

this from the company that calls a kick stand a "jiffy stand"

The following 2 users liked this post by Mattbastard:
0maha (04-19-2019), TwiZted Biker (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 01:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,810 Likes on 17,447 Posts

Originally Posted by brad75raiders
another choice would be chain drive. You will not need to remove the swing arm and you can dial in your gearing as easy as a rear sprocket. its cheaper, stronger messier (is that a word) and can be fixed on the side of the road. i just paid vulcan works around 325$ shipped for my evo....waaaay cheaper on labor if the swing arm stays put.
Having run chains several decades they are a pain in the ***, you’ll go through a chain & sprockets every 15k on a later Harley and a decent chain is pushing close to $200 now. Add in the new vibrations you’ll get along with the mess it’s a no win for the average rider

The following users liked this post:
Greezey Rider (05-12-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 01:36 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

this from the company that calls a kick stand a "jiffy stand"
Or like the choke an enrichener?
Didn't the first Harley's have a center stand?
And when the side stand was invented, wasn't the rider able to deploy the new stand "quickly" or in a jiffy?
Still, this doesn't change what the rear device that a drive belt with teeth wraps around. It's called a sprocket.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,777 Posts

Go here to see part prices..
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm

About $600 for pulleys and belt. Another $100 for oil and gaskets.

Lot to come off but no big deal. You can take a harden scribe to see if it will scratch the rear chrome plated drive pulleys. Bet it is thru chrome.

If you plan on keeping bike forever, probably ought to replace both pulleys.

I sure would not worry about upgrade . Harley's stuff it probably better then aftermarket.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:06 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Having run chains several decades they are a pain in the ***, you’ll go through a chain & sprockets every 15k on a later Harley and a decent chain is pushing close to $200 now. Add in the new vibrations you’ll get along with the mess it’s a no win for the average rider
He said he has a high po motor. The bikes I have 113 /127 don't play well with belts. I don't have any vibration but I run really good oring chains. He is looking at a 600-800 bill vs 350
bill

Old 04-19-2019, 02:33 PM
RhynoRocK
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, the dealer called back and said $1100 at most, and that's projecting if the tech has to beat **** apart to get the job done, including the front and rear pulleys and belt. I hope that's the limit with this. Wish I could figure out how in the hell it happened in the first place. I didn't manage to recover the old belt to see what was what. 23 years seems to be asking an awful lot out of something that takes as much punishment as a drive belt does.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (04-19-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Busted drive belt...