EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Busted drive belt...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Harley's fish call them sprockets. I prefer to call it a cog belt pulley. Calling it a sprocket can be confusing.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-23-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:18 PM
RhynoRocK
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

Update;

So the dealer came and picked 'er up yesterday afternoon. They called today telling me things were going great, both pulleys were perfectly fine, but I need a new primary chain as a couple links had come loose when they pulled the whole primary setup out of the case.

Lookin like about $600 so far for the whole job, including the $82 primary chain, and it'll be done early next week. They had to order the chain, so it'll take a couple days to show up. Dunno if that's the final dollar amount I'm paying, probably at least another hours labor once they receive the chain & get it installed and everything bolted back together and filled up.

The following users liked this post:
Architect (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 05:00 AM
ShadowforNow
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Guy I wore that **** out with a bone stock 74" shovelhead, wear rate doubled when I went 88" so I did a belt conversion. A good oring chain is crowding $200 and trans sprockets are shot before the chain goes so the primaries coming off at least every other season. Been dicking with this stuff since the 70's professionally.
There's no sprockets out there made of high tech metals that will out last 1 or 2 or 3 chains?

Old 05-12-2019, 06:07 AM
Scootertrash60
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
It's involved enough to replace any marginal or questionable parts while it is apart. Replace inexpensive items while in it as well just because it sucks to have to get in there again.

I would go with an OEM belt from the dealer. The original lasted this long.
This is the proper advice.

ETA: Nevermind, shoulda read the whole thread before posting........

Last edited by Scootertrash60; 05-12-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:20 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
If it has teeth, it's a sprocket. Why wouldn't you want to use the proper description or the description that the factory uses for the part?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...l#post18090246

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...l#post18090129

Who cares? Pulley, Sprocket.....Everyone knows what he's talking about.
Go for a god damn ride, get out of the house and away from the computer for a few minutes.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:16 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Who cares? Pulley, Sprocket.....Everyone knows what he's talking about.
Go for a god damn ride, get out of the house and away from the computer for a few minutes.
Is this a rhetorical question? Obviously I cared enough to comment. Believe me, I do my share of riding. Got out of the house just yesterday, and went here.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:34 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,793 Likes on 3,304 Posts

Originally Posted by RhynoRocK
Update;

So the dealer came and picked 'er up yesterday afternoon. They called today telling me things were going great, both pulleys were perfectly fine, but I need a new primary chain as a couple links had come loose when they pulled the whole primary setup out of the case.

Lookin like about $600 so far for the whole job, including the $82 primary chain, and it'll be done early next week. They had to order the chain, so it'll take a couple days to show up. Dunno if that's the final dollar amount I'm paying, probably at least another hours labor once they receive the chain & get it installed and everything bolted back together and filled up.
it shouldn't be any extra labor at all, all that's got to come off to get to the belt....

The following users liked this post:
Greezey Rider (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Replacing a belt on a bagger or an FXR doesn't require that you remove the swing arm.....But you'd better know what you're doing if you do the job that way.
The "book" says you need to remove it but most good mechanics found a way around that years ago.
The only other thing I will say about it is....Don't kink or even flex the new belt too much or you will be right back in there replacing it again because it's guaranteed to break if you do.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I've never replaced the belt on a touring model, so not sure if this video will help.
How To Remove & Replace Final Belt Drive on Harley-Davidson-Motorcycle Biker Podcast
remove primary components
loosen wheel
remove belt guard
remove lower shock bolt
slide off/on belt

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 05-12-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:26 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

People have been calling the sprockets on belt drive bikes pulleys for over 30 years, it may be incorrect, but it is common at this point.

How about the timing cover on a evo/shovelhead, a nosecone...on the side of an engine?

Right side transmission bearing support a trap door?

Kind of late to get picky about calling it a pulley, don`t ya think?

OP: don`t use any used parts, there is too much involved if they turn out to be less than you expect them to be.

Also when you change the shift shaft oil seal, inspect the splines on the shaft and the lever, very common problem area.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-12-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Busted drive belt...