EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Alive and well (enough)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 05:08 AM
g1625s
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alive and well (enough)

Got the copper chopper back on its wheels and running a week or so ago. Quick rundown for those interested. Dyna 2000 ignition, ev13, Johnson lifters, stock pushrods, OEM breather gear, inner cam bearing, Cobra dual head pipes. Stock carb with new slide assembly from CV performance, 48 pilot, 180 main. Turns out I had one of those more aggressive needles they put in earlier Sportsters with no accelerator pump...n67 maybe? Not sure how I wound up with it, but it was that or the emissions one the bike had, so I tossed it in. I'll find out soon enough if it's too rich. Back on the stand today to get the front wheel off for bearings and new tires, then should be ready for a test ride. Engine has a previously unmolested 45,xxx miles. This is my 4th season with the sheriff and I'm finally getting the bags color matched to the tins.... Couple shades off and driving me nuts haha!

Old 04-21-2019, 11:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Your bags look to me like they are 'birch white', the colour H-D used on all it's g/f parts when the batwings and bags were first introduced. I went to a lot of trouble to get that just right with my Evo Glide below! So don't be too critical, it should be possible to find out which 'white' your bike started out as and match it.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:21 PM
g1625s
Advanced

From what I understand, Birch White is indeed the intended color. I guess they can take a digital 'picture' of the rear fender and come pretty close to duplicating that, and since it's easier to pull the bags for paint, I'm gonna give that a shot. If it's not close enough, I'll have the whole mess painted next winter.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:42 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Mine is birch white. The PPG number is 90303 for that color if you're interested

Old 04-21-2019, 07:04 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,748 Likes on 931 Posts

Bike looks great. Looks comfortable.

Your mods are similar to mine and I have to ask how do you like the way it feels with the new mods? I think you mean the N65 needle. Yes it is skinnier needle with a longer taper and an overall shorter length. Some complain that the mileage can take a hit with that needle, but I think it's more of how you use the throttle that affects mileage more than anything.

Enjoy the bike and ride safe. YD

Old 04-21-2019, 07:17 PM
g1625s
Advanced

Thank you all for the replies, compliments and information! Yankee dog, I have not had the bike out since the cam, ignition, pipes and different needle. The three seasons I've owned it, I've just had slip on pipes, air filter and jets in the carb. It honestly ran fine for my riding style, but the inner cam bearing was keeping me up at night, so I did the typical 'while you're in there...' stuff. I know the true duals will hurt torque to some extent, but this is far from a full on big power bike and I was after the aesthetic look and the different sound, both of which I got. I am excited to get past the driveway though, hopefully this week if I can set up the front wheel bearings and get a new tire mounted 😎

Old 04-22-2019, 04:50 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,276 Posts

What are those black things on top of your saddle bags? Rubber bumpers for when they're open so they don't bang against the saddlebag gurards?

carl

Old 04-23-2019, 04:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by carlgrover
What are those black things on top of your saddle bags? Rubber bumpers for when they're open so they don't bang against the saddlebag gurards?

carl
If you're referring to g1625s' bags they are the 'pucks' to open and latch closed the lids of his Police bags, which hinge quite differently to stock civilian lids. They don't touch anything once opened.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:13 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
If you're referring to g1625s' bags they are the 'pucks' to open and latch closed the lids of his Police bags, which hinge quite differently to stock civilian lids. They don't touch anything once opened.
Yep. I believe one of the reasons the police bikes have that sort of system, is so the motorofficer can open the bags while still wearing the larger and thicker gloves?

Old 04-23-2019, 08:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hackd
Yep. I believe one of the reasons the police bikes have that sort of system, is so the motorofficer can open the bags while still wearing the larger and thicker gloves?
Possibly, but also simply open and close them while still seated on the bike. The later trigger latches like a further improvement which we can all enjoy!

Quick Reply: Alive and well (enough)