Is this the right bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 06:39 AM
SJT
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Is this the right bike?

Greetings,

So I have been missing a motorcycle since I sold my 2001 Sportster 1200 4-5 years ago. It wasn't until recently that I was in a position to get another. I found the '86 FXWD (Not a Dyna) in the images below at the local Harley shop for $6495 and was apprehensive as to the reliability of aforementioned bike. I am looking for something to ride regular and not looking to have problems. The bike appears to be well kept and starts easy with the kick-start.

The shop agreed to repair the following:

Rocker gasket showing
Base leaks
Primary flash transfer leak
Fuel crossover routed incorrectly
Dipstick coming apart
Front Brake light inoperable
High beam indicator inoperable
Both tires Michelin

All the above was completed with the exception of the base gasket. They told me it would be an additional $900 to have that work performed but it wasn't pertinent because the seepage was minimal. My question is should I continue with the deal being that the dealership is going back on their word? Also would this be the bike for me if I want to ride 100-500 miles every weekend? What issues should I expect with the bike if I do consummate the deal and for a mechanically inclined above novice wrencher would these problems keep me off the road for any extended period (excluding time waiting for the correct parts)?

Thanks,

John

Old 05-17-2019, 06:50 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Odd...and Desireable Motorcycle right there..Last Year 4-speed, second year EVO... Flatside Tanks...
That one looks fairly stock, tho I do Not recall Black FXWG Forks, nor Cast Front Wheel... Geeze... may be last Kick starter also... Softail had it, but, I do Not believe after '86
Is it a Commuter????
Sure if you wish to make a 6-7 K bike into a 2K bike...Is it a "gotta have " Putter" ???? Absolutely..
Early EVO Dyna's are Commuters... so are Sportsters if yer in a Bigger Hurry...
Getting to the Point that early Twinkies are the "Cheapest Date" so... Consider your Options, vs your Needs.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:56 AM
SJT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Racepres
Sure if you wish to make a 6-7 K bike into a 2K bike...Is it a "gotta have " Putter" ???? Absolutely...
Not sure I am understanding your advice.

the bike already has 28k miles. I work construction and drive a truck to work on job sites through the week. I am also a college student for 1 more year before graduating with my double Bachelors in civil engineering soil sciences and structural. So I would more than likely commute to class on the bike as motorcycles have privileged parking characteristics and locations.

I am looking to put some 200-400 mile weekends on the bike and potentially ride to the beach (600 miles each way) or to see my mom in Texas (1400 miles each way). Is it a daily driver? No, but I would like to get on and ride when I am free to do so.

Getting to the Point that early Twinkies are the "Cheapest Date"
I'm truly sorry, but your metaphors are completely over my head.

Last edited by SJT; 05-17-2019 at 07:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SJT:
Rocco Basi (05-17-2019), tar_snake (05-23-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:20 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 928 Posts

I personally would pass. If your set on an evo, there are newer models with more factory improvements/refinements (1995 and later) for the same money. Keep shopping and the right on will come along. Yd

The following 3 users liked this post by Yankee Dog:
86glider (05-17-2019), SJT (05-17-2019), tar_snake (05-23-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:32 AM
SJT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
I personally would pass. If your set on an evo, there are newer models with more factory improvements/refinements (1995 and later) for the same money. Keep shopping and the right on will come along. Yd
Not particularly set on an EVO, but I am open to any well maintained reliable engine. I am however set on a non-sportster. I am a 220lbs 6' man and I have a couple lady friends that like to hangout. I foresee doubling frequently on the weekends. I was originally on the hunt for a RoadKing, but the hunt led me here. In reality I like the Soft-tails and Road Kings the best.

I believe I will continue to shop.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:36 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Right back to a Early model Twinky!!! Most Motorcycle [like you desire] for the $$$
I like Early EVO's ... but, I like Shovelheads also... If I want to Travel...especially 2-Up... I have been leaning more heavily toward Newer Equipment...

Old 05-17-2019, 07:42 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

It' not a FXWD it's a FXWG-Wide glide.. As Recepres said last year kicker 4 spd.. Looks to be a good specimen. RPM's will be a little hi cruisin 70 but with the EVO motor it won't be an issue.. I believe the gears/sprocket/pulley's are 24/37-32/70 which = 3.37:@1:1... Looks like the PO did a lot of work on it.. I would ask for compression results.. Definite motor work there.. Price is a little hi but not out of the ball park.. I would do it... Good luck...

The following users liked this post:
SJT (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:52 AM
SJT
Cruiser

Right back to a Early model Twinky!!! Most Motorcycle [like you desire] for the $$$
I like Early EVO's ... but, I like Shovelheads also... If I want to Travel...especially 2-Up... I have been leaning more heavily toward Newer Equipment...
What are you referencing as a twinky? My apologies as the lingo is foreign.

also if a lady is 300+ lbs would that be considered 3-up? Asking for a friend.

Last edited by SJT; 05-17-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SJT
Oh ****...apologies... Harley Twin Cam..

One last thing.... When we were still in the Business... the Twin Cam Dyna was the hot Setup for quite some time after their introduction...and are still in demand, while getting less expensive...

Darn it.... just read where you ain't no Light weight... can you say Road King???

Last edited by Racepres; 05-17-2019 at 07:59 AM.
SJT (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by SJT

also if a lady is 300+ lbs would that be considered 3-up? Asking for a friend.
A 'twinky' is the later 'twincam' engine, introduced in 1998, with two camshafts. All earlier big twins, plus the latest M8 bikes, introduced in 2017, use only a single cam, including that Evo we are talking about here.

SJT (05-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Is this the right bike?