EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need to replace crusty front wheel and upgrade brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:33 AM
rsscoggins
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need to replace crusty front wheel and upgrade brakes

I picked up this 1990 FXSTC (Softail Custom) from the original owner with 11K miles. I need to replace the tires as the both are about 17 years old!

The front wheel has some rust and I would like to just replace it. I know the bearings went from tapered to sealed and the size went from 3/4" to 1" to 25 mm.

If I find a set of wheels/tires from a later model, can the bearings be adapted to accommodate my axle? I really would like to put a breakout front wheel on it.

What about the brake rotor? What about the speedo drive?

Finally, I realize why I hated my old man's Harley's in the 80/90's - the single piston brakes suck. What are the most economical ways to provide more stopping power? it already has braided lines. I would like to upgrade to a 4 piston caliper on the front at least.

Last edited by rsscoggins; 06-12-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

That's a sweet looking bike, right there. Well done!

I've never done a late-model wheel swap like you're proposing, but there are any number of threads from guys who did it. Nothing that can't be solved, but you've already pointed out some of the issues that will have to get sorted.

Personally, I'd rather stay with the tapered bearings. Much better, IMHO.

Wilwood GP310 caliper bolts on. Much better than the (really quite useless) stock unit. There are other 4-piston options, Performance Machine also sells a bolt on 6-piston unit that you might consider if you stick with the single disk.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Nice looking Softail!

Pull the old tires, polish up the stock rims, slap on new rubber. Ride it!

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:56 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 903 Posts

rsscoggins. Is that a recent picture? Or. One that was taken when it was new? Super clean bike. I am a simple man. I would replace the tires and fluids and ride it like i stole it. But. I also know what it is like when you buy a new to me motorsikle. Nice. Have fun. Be safe.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:11 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I have a set of thunder stall wheels for evo bikes.
I had them powder coated because the chrome was pealing off.
They are a grey color which looked better on the wall than it did on the wheels to me.
If you're interested let me know and I'll post a picture.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:01 AM
rsscoggins
Road Captain

Originally Posted by OLD 96
rsscoggins. Is that a recent picture? Or. One that was taken when it was new? Super clean bike. I am a simple man. I would replace the tires and fluids and ride it like i stole it. But. I also know what it is like when you buy a new to me motorsikle. Nice. Have fun. Be safe.
That is the pic of when I brought it home a few days ago. The guy was the original owner and it has 11118 miles. for a 29 year old bike, it is in awesome condition. The pics the guy had on his ad/listing were grainy and I almost didn't go look. Man I am glad I did. He was asking $4500 and I got it for $3500. He basically made me buy it by accepting my first offer of $3500 - I immediately thought that I should have offered less or "he knows something is going to break"!

We had to jump start it to get it to run but it does run. At a minimum it needs fluids changed, a battery and the brakes gone through - it doesn't stop well even thought the levers are firm. probably going to pull the carb and go through that as well just to make sure there are no surprises.

A few chrome pieces as worse for wear but they can be replaced over time - trans cover has a couple of spots, primary is pitting with a few bubbles. Front wheel has some rust because water collect in the groove on the lip.

I have been looking at Evo Softails for a while - and was trying to stay under $4K ideally but everything I looked at needed at TON of work to even be road worthy. This one will be road worthy will a little effort and then I can start doing some changes. This isn't my only bike - I have a newer Road King and the wife has an Electra Glide. This will be my run around town bike and something for my son to ride with us when he is home.

I would like to do an open primary...maybe a springer seat. And since I am 6'4", I need to address the ergonomics - extended controls and 16" apes will probably be the first thing to be honest.

Last edited by rsscoggins; 06-13-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 AM
rsscoggins
Road Captain

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I have a set of thunder stall wheels for evo bikes.
I had them powder coated because the chrome was pealing off.
They are a grey color which looked better on the wall than it did on the wheels to me.
If you're interested let me know and I'll post a picture.
Shoot me a pic - I would like to stay chrome on this older bike but lets see what they look like.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:29 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts