EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Here I go (shopping) again

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 12:17 PM
rainsong
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Here I go (shopping) again

My '97 FB was totaled a month ago when an oblivious driver plowed through two lanes of traffic without looking and straight into my crash bar. Luckily we're alive and relatively ok.

Anyway, I'm about to start figuring out what to buy next. I had really made that FB my own and slowly turned it into a bagger -- added a removable fairing/hard bags/trunk. Loved the feel and sound of the Evo engine and mostly loved my riding position in it. I've considered a RK or SG, but every time I ride one I can't seem to get comfortable with the "on top of the bike" feel. They also feel a little top heavy to me. Maybe it's just what I'm used to, or my height (6' 0") or my screwed-up spine.

What I didn't love about my FB was how I always felt like I had to "force" it into corners. And I sometimes wished it had more power (especially when 2-up).

I'm planning to rent/test several bikes for a while before I land on the right one. Curious about a few things I thought some might have knowledge on:

* Is there a difference in the front end or in how smooth a bike will corner between a Fatboy and other Softails (particularly a Heritage)? Seems like the specs are the same, but I don't know all the variations through the years.

* I've only ridden newer touring bikes. Can I assume the Evo touring models will probably have the same "on top" feel vs the "in the bike" feel of Softails as the TC/M8 models?

* Will I hate myself if I end up with a Twin Cam because I decide the extra power and smoother handling is more important than the "soul" of an Evo engine?

(Sorry for the long-winded post)

Old 06-18-2019, 12:29 PM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 515 Posts

First off, glad to hear ur OK .My 86 flt has a lowered seat and stock suspension,never felt on top of it. There's plenty of evo's out there cheap.Either soft or swing arm bikes,will fit the bill.I think the twinkies had gotten heavier over the years too.Good luck on the hunt.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by rainsong
* Is there a difference in the front end or in how smooth a bike will corner between a Fatboy and other Softails (particularly a Heritage)? Seems like the specs are the same, but I don't know all the variations through the years.

* I've only ridden newer touring bikes. Can I assume the Evo touring models will probably have the same "on top" feel vs the "in the bike" feel of Softails as the TC/M8 models?

* Will I hate myself if I end up with a Twin Cam because I decide the extra power and smoother handling is more important than the "soul" of an Evo engine?

(Sorry for the long-winded post)
While I've never ridden a Fatboy both of my softails (FLSTC and FXSTC) corner just fine but I think that is a result of the 16" bars I put on them.

FWIW I hear a good 89" build will outrun most twinkies...

Old 06-18-2019, 01:48 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,804 Likes on 3,311 Posts

The FB and Low Rider and Heritage are the only 3 that give you the true "in" not on feeling when it comes to Evo's. I have been on later model RK's and EG's and yes your more on than in.. If you like the "IN" ride of the FB but not the handling, there's a lot you can do to firm up the suspension... As for the power? Well you can really make it a "SCREAMER" if you have the cash... I love my 98 Fat boy. It does everything I want and tours very well.. Firm and Powerful..... Just the way she likes it..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 06-18-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:30 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Master
Received 710 Likes on 379 Posts

I had a ‘92 Heritage softail with a stock seat, I still remember the odd feeling of riding “on” my new RK in ‘97. A Mustang solo saddle moved me down and back a bit from the stock seat, but when I hopped on a friends Twinkie Heritage a few years ago, I felt a bit too “in” the bike then I was comfortable with.
You get used to the difference quickly... I think the RK handles better in the twists, but that’s after 100k in that mustang saddle! I bet guys on their Softails believe theirs handle better.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:46 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
I had a ‘92 Heritage softail with a stock seat, I still remember the odd feeling of riding “on” my new RK in ‘97. A Mustang solo saddle moved me down and back a bit from the stock seat, but when I hopped on a friends Twinkie Heritage a few years ago, I felt a bit too “in” the bike then I was comfortable with.
You get used to the difference quickly... I think the RK handles better in the twists, but that’s after 100k in that mustang saddle! I bet guys on their Softails believe theirs handle better.

Best answer yet.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:59 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
If anybody does they are being disingenuous.
The softails have less of a lean angle than the bagger frame bikes so there is no way a softail can handle better in the corners.
Mine handles great for me but then again I have to take the corners a bit slower than someone on a RK or Dyna.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:49 PM
rainsong
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Appreciate all the replies.

If you like the "IN" ride of the FB but not the handling, there's a lot you can do to firm up the suspension... As for the power? Well you can really make it a "SCREAMER" if you have the cash...
This was actually my first long trip after installing RaceTech springs in the front of the FB. I did like what it did for handling corners, although still not as smooth as my brother's FB Lo. I also had put a EV-13 cam in and it had a Stage 1, which always felt like "almost" enough power.

I still remember the odd feeling of riding “on” my new RK in ‘97. A Mustang solo saddle moved me down and back a bit from the stock seat...
Yeah, that's one of the issues with renting bikes. Not only are they all '19 models (so different engine & different frame), they're stock. I've never ridden a RK with an aftermarket seat or taller handlebars or any of the mods that might make it fit me much better than a stock RK.

You get used to the difference quickly... I think the RK handles better in the twists, but that’s after 100k in that mustang saddle!
And this, too. I will say my FB instantly felt like the right "fit" to me when I bought it, but who knows what I'd get used to after a while on a different bike. I did think the '19 RK I rented last week handled corners really well.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:36 AM
jyx
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

hav a look at the FXR:s they handle and with a lower seat you sit just right in it

Old 06-20-2019, 03:01 AM
Ta2rtist
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i own both a softy and an flhtc, i have had a fb, and i ride a twinkie softy occasionally as my good friend has me diagnose and fix his often, i will say with a seat and handlebar change my flhtc feels amazing on the road, with the regal touring seat, when my wife is on, it feels like im on the bike, with my solo setup i feel in the bike, the power is good as i have the 96 kit in both of my bikes, the softy feels way more IN the bike but i do have to tap the front brake in cornering to get it to dive in the turns. good luck

Quick Reply: Here I go (shopping) again