EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Trouble Code #56 Help PLease

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Jazz56
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Code #56 Help PLease

98 Road King Fuel injected. When I started my bike today the engine light came back on for about 8 seconds. So I got out the manual and read how to retrieve trouble codes using the engine lamp diagnostic feature. I got a code #56. Manual says a code 56 will set if Crankshaft Position Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor are not timed properly, or if the Crankshaft Position Sensor signal is weak or absent. Any one ever have this and know the fix? By the way the bike seems to be running fine. Thanks for any help. Shane

Old 09-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Trouble Code #56 Help PLease

You will probably need your ECM updated....

The newest update (-97B) corrects the "False" code 56....

I just showed a tech yesterday why it is important to verify and validate current ECM calibrations on STOCK motors.... and it is a free update (No Charge calibration), the shop might charge you labor...

If you have a Stage I or II flash in the ECM, you might need to update it, but that will be on you for payment.

No matter what, you need to get the SYSTEM INFO sheet and a RECALIBRATION REPORT from the dealer that does the work (Should you choose that route)....

Old 09-09-2007, 08:09 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

1)consider looking at section 9 under "sensors" in your HD manual part #99483-98 between section 9-82 and 9-87
2)look under the chrome timer cone cover(throttle side bottom) ..on the bottom near black frame...right under the V2 logo any melted stuff "biege" coming out of the wire hole..any biege goop on the frame?..looks like melted biege plastic..if "yes" this would be the cam shaft position sensor melting...and it may be the cause of your trouble..

Old 09-09-2007, 08:14 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

for more information do a search with the tab on the top under "rkc 98.non-oil leak below timer cover"
as i had to change mine out a while back..

Old 09-09-2007, 08:16 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

When the engine light comes on for 8 seconds and goes off, it means you have a stored historic code, not a current problem. Code 56's are common. They sometimes happen when you try to start your bike and it kicks back. The code will clear after 50 starts......Basically, unless the engine light is staying on, ride the bike and don't worry about it.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Jazz56
Cruiser

im, I just went and looked and didn't see any melted stuff coming out of the hole where the wire's come out.

xxxflhrci, Am I correct in assuming that as long as the bike is starting and running fine that the code would be false and not a problem?

Old 09-09-2007, 09:31 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jazz56

xxxflhrci, Am I correct in assuming that as long as the bike is starting and running fine that the code would be false and not a problem?
Yes. As long as the light goes off after 8 seconds, don't worry about it.

My 2000 has the same FI system and similar sensors as your bike. I get a Code 56 every now and then. I don't even check the codes when I get one of the 8 second flashers.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:13 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

-by chance does the bike have a power commander?
-power commanders are very sensitive to crank/cam position sensor..and if things are not 100% it will cause difficult starting..like a backfire or large burp before it catches on the second try..
-it looks as if you have different from original slip-on mufflers from the picture so you probably have some fuel management device.
-if you had a ruff start isolated to "one" time..it could be a false code 56..the only way to erase and see if it returns in the future is to disconnect the battery for a minute..and then reconnect

Old 09-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Jazz56
Cruiser

It does have a power commander and python slip on's. I do get an occasional pop on start up.

I'll either reset it or let it reset itself after 50 starts.

Not sure if i want to have the ECM updated though as Shovelhead Bob suggested. Sometimes when you start messin with those computer things they screw things up.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 PM
LeadDoggy
Cruiser

I get the same code on my 98 Classic. Nothing to worry bout.......

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

When the engine light comes on for 8 seconds and goes off, it means you have a stored historic code, not a current problem. Code 56's are common. They sometimes happen when you try to start your bike and it kicks back. The code will clear after 50 starts......Basically, unless the engine light is staying on, ride the bike and don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Trouble Code #56 Help PLease