EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1997 Heritage Classic Circuit Breakers .... Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:12 AM
fmbeach
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Heritage Classic Circuit Breakers .... Help.

Having a problem with mylamp circuit. Circuit breaker or fuse is over heating and shutting off all lights for about 25 seconds, cooling off and then coming back on. Went with higher wattage spots which is when the problem started to appear. Went through the manual last night and it calls out and shows on the schematica 30amp main circuit breaker and (3-4) 15amp breaker for ingnition, lamp andauxillary circuits. Have a couple of questions for the wrenches before I tear into this problem:

1. Whereare the15 amp breakers located? Manual was not specific about location expect for the rear fender mounting for the main 30 amp breaker.

2. If it were the main breaker blowing would the bike continue to run or would it shut down?

3. I really want to keep the higher wattage spots. I think if I can identify the breaker that is blowing and bump it up to either 20amp or 40amptheproblem will be resolved. I don't think an additional 10 amp's of circuit protection would be enough to melt or burn anything. Bike is running now with the increase wattage for maybe 30-40 minutes before the breaker overloads or heats up. Opinions?

I intend to first replacethe lamp circuit breaker withnew one just in case that breaker is weak . Then try a 20amp if the problem continues. Last resort would be to get rid of the higher wattage spots.

Would appreciate any wisdom before I get started off in the wrong direction.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:23 AM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1997 Heritage Classic Circuit Breakers .... Help.

there are 2-3 under your dash...15 amp.Not sure about going up with amperage for lamps though.Main breaker would shut bike down I would think.The 2 under the dash are for ignition and lights..at least on my '92 heritage...pf course mine has no fuses.If yours does,then the fuse would blow.the breaker just cuts off juice momentarily and will keep shutting off until problem is fixed.....thinking about it,i would not go higher than a 20 for the spots if you change it all...they are cheap enough that if it doesnt work,you can go back.You can see where the wires lead to when you pull the dash off.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 AM
fmbeach
Tourer

Dert,

Thanks for the quick reply. Easy enough to get into the dash. Will have a look at lunchtime today.

Anyone know for sure if the main would shut down the bike?

Glenn

Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 PM
fmbeach
Tourer

Pulled the dash panel over lunch. No circuit breakers or fuses that I could see. Thinking they might be near the battery under the seat.

Checkedthe original owners manual, HD Maint/Repair manual and an aftermarket Chilton type manual. Only the HD references 15amp breakers for the ingintion and lamp circuits.So, I'm still asking for your knowledge:

1. Whereare the15 amp breakers located?

2. If it were the main breaker blowing would the bike continue to
runor would it shut down?

Glenn

Old 10-05-2007, 12:50 PM
fmbeach
Tourer

Bump

Old 10-06-2007, 08:07 AM
fmbeach
Tourer

Anyone?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 AM
dert
Road Master

No breakers under the dash...mmmm.Only other area I know of then maybe under the seat...Most breakers I have seen are under the dash,usually to the right of the dash lights....yes,if the main breaker goes,the engine will die.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:26 PM
kiwidave2
Cruiser

correct.

Main breaker cancels out the lot

Sorry, can't help re location. In the early years of the Evo they were mounted on the rear fender under the seat.... not sure if that still applied by '97.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:13 PM
skullandcircle
Road Captain

I think they are between the gas tanks, i know they are on my 94 heritage. it is a real pain to get to by yourself.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:05 AM
fmbeach
Tourer

Many thanks to all. Once I got into it yesterday it wasn't a big deal.

Circuit breakers for Lamps, Auxillary, Ignition and Dash are located under the seat on the 1997 Heritage Classic. There is a breaker box mounted on top of the rear fender. Main 30 Amp breaker in on the lower outside of the rear fender splash guard. All circuits are protected with Type 1, 15 amp, 12 V breaker. Neither the HD or Chalmers manuals show the location of the breakers. Both however call out the HD part number forthe breakers and show the breaker circuit on their main schematic.

I ended up bumping up the lighting breaker from 15 to 20Amp. Took the bike for a test ride last night and had no problems with the lighting circuit cutting out. According to my Electrical Engineer here at the shop an additional 5 Amps of protection should not present a problem with the wiring harness as it is rated for at least 30 Amps.

So far so good. Replacement breakers are available at AutoZone or Napa at less than 1/2 of the Harley Dealership price.