EVO All Evo Model Discussion

crankcase venting

Old 01-20-2008, 08:26 AM
shartflhs
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: crankcase venting

I have a 91 FLHS with a 96" motor. Constantly had problems with the crankcase venting and blowing a mist all over the side cover and passenger's leg. Discovered S&S has a new breather valve using reed valves. It vents whenever crankcase pressure is high. It does not have a gear and does not rely on timing, it is constantly working. Installed it last week and noticed a tremendous difference right away. First it is quieter because of one less gear in the case. Havent had a chance to ride it because of the ice cold weather but i held a paper towel over the vent line and ran it for about 45 minutes total at various rpms and saw no oil at all coming out of the vent. Bike is easier to start also because less pressure during rotation. Will give an update when I can get a chance to ride it.

Steve

Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 AM
94Dan69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: shartflhs

I have a 91 FLHS with a 96" motor. Constantly had problems with the crankcase venting and blowing a mist all over the side cover and passenger's leg. Discovered S&S has a new breather valve using reed valves. It vents whenever crankcase pressure is high. It does not have a gear and does not rely on timing, it is constantly working. Installed it last week and noticed a tremendous difference right away. First it is quieter because of one less gear in the case. Havent had a chance to ride it because of the ice cold weather but i held a paper towel over the vent line and ran it for about 45 minutes total at various rpms and saw no oil at all coming out of the vent. Bike is easier to start also because less pressure during rotation. Will give an update when I can get a chance to ride it.

Steve
Steve, I too was turned onto S&S new reed style breather assembly, When I tore my 94 EVO down to do some upgrades last week I wasshocked by the amount of carbon that was built up on my pistons. I installed a Forcewinder aircleaner last year and used a breather support bracket that vented the crankcase into the opening of the carb. I noticed from that point on my motor used a little bit of oil, not much 1/2 qt. 3000 mi. Also I knew I was a little rich on main jet. I'm curious as to whether with this new S&S assembly I will be able to keep the breather set up I have, as I was going to change it to breath outside. Dont want that carbon again it was bad!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 PM
shartflhs
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

94Dan69, The reed valve breather just replaces the breather valve in your cam cover and no other changes are required. I still have the breather tube routed to the air cleaner. I too noticed a lot of carbon on my pistons. I suspect that it may be from the oil that was being pumped into the air cleaner, i didn't change the jet settings from the past and it always ran clean before. All indications from initial testing is that there is no oil or very little coming out of the breather tube now. Oh expect the breather valve to run around $80-$90.

Steve

Old 01-22-2008, 05:51 AM
94Dan69
Cruiser

$89.95 at my local H-D shop, Bought on and put it in, just wondering now if since the motor can breath when it needs to rather than when that little gear driven breather lets it if there will be less oil making it's way thru the carb???

Old 02-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Classic Beast
Tourer

Ran a 110" S&S motor it came in the bike I bought had both the head breather and crankcase breather vented to the groundalways marked it's spot and had a fine oil mist which coated the back of the bike. Ran the head breather hoses up under the tank and put a T in the line with the hose coming down from the T this helped a lot but still mist coming from the crankcase hose. Put some of those small plastic baffles inside the hoses from the heads and again a small improvement, next I put in the Reed valve which really helped no more oil mist coming from the head breathers but still from the crankcase then I noticed the crankcase breather didn't have the check valve as it was supposed to. Finally I realized with the head venting I wasn't supposed to use the crankcase breather so I put a plug in the case now I put the breather hose from the heads into the backing plate of the carb there is not a trace of oil anywhere totally cured the problem went on a long hard ride this summer rushing back to make the plane for work had to hold it at 100 or better for 8 hours no mist nothing. This motor has always used oil 1 qt to 1000 miles now it uses nothing and the bike is totally clean.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:52 AM
ratsun
Stage III
Default Hayden crankcase vent

I had a oil leak from behind the primary, not much but enough for me to notice. Installed Hayden crankcase vent one way valve and oil leak is cured.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:29 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by ratsun
I had a oil leak from behind the primary, not much but enough for me to notice. Installed Hayden crankcase vent one way valve and oil leak is cured.
Seeing as how this thread is almost 10 years old I'm willing to be they got the problem solved one way or another.