crankcase venting

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:56 PM
zenon9
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankcase venting

zenon9 here,

Has anyone use a vent vavle off the crankcase breather hose.

I only have a cover over my hose.

I am looking at Hayden's product - Kank Vent Plus Valve Breather

and clone K&N Filter

Does anyone have experience with situationof venting in the crankcase?

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:20 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: crankcase venting

I tried the GENUINE KrankVent System,
http://www.et-performance.com/kv.html#Pre93%20EVO

It affected it but did not eliminate the problem I was having with oil dripping out of the air cleaner. I then ran a hose back under the bags to the rear fender pointing to the ground and the oil from the crankcase would drip out behind the bike.

I then decided it might be better to catch the oil, so I removed the Krankvent and installed the Oil Mist collector,
http://www.motorcycles-stuff.com/pag...MistColl.shtml

The Oil Mist Collector does catch everything but either fills up too fast (or just has a leak). It's a foamy tan discharge and the collector just doesn't hold enough for my bike and it will start leaking - the only place I could find to mount it was on the down tubes, so the drips of foamy oil blow back on the engine.

I want to add the krank vent and try that but need to find a different fitting, if I had to do over I would have purchase the universal ( race) model that just fits inside a hose. I bought the one designed for pre-93 evos but was unable to fit it in so I had to modify it to stick in between two hose ends.

I plan on having new lifters put in this winter and want to have them check it out to see if there is a problem, I did not have any blowby problems until the top end was modified last winter. My next idea would be to install the krankvent ( just a pvc valve), bend some custom oil lines and run it back to the rear fender and install a big mudflap so I could run a small hose down the mudflap about an inch from the ground. It would be well hidden and the few drops of foamy oil would not be too noticeable.

I did not notice any difference in power, but did seem to hear more bottom end noise with the crankcase venting system

this was on a 1990 FLHTCU ( 10-1 pistons,ev-27, head work with bigger valves etc.)

Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I use a little air filter thingie mounted under the bike on my FLHT. On the Sportster, I just run the hose down along the frame and leave it open.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a filter and mounted it so it sits in between the rear chain. Kind of an auto oiler, makes a bit of a mess on the frame and rear rim, but so does spray on chain lube. A trip to the car wash cleans things up fine.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM
fr21555
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I experimented with a bunch of solutions to the problem on my 92 FXDB. I ended up with running a hose from the a/c down to a Krank Vent. I ran the hose along the right side of the frame, below the nose cone, towards the front of bike.The end ofthe Krank Venthas a piece of hose that points down to the ground near the front part of the frame. I get some brown foam coming out after a long run, which ends up on the floor, but a rag sits there to catch it.

I didn't notice any improvement in performance vs. a standard ventfilter but at least I don't get spray all over the motor after a hard ride. I have SE heads and hi-comp pistons and I figure if this is as bad as it now gets, I can live with it. I don't get any more oil building up in the air cleaner anymore.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:53 PM
zenon9
Intermediate

zenon9 here

Installed the Hayden Krankcase Vent Plus today.

I will let you knowif it works.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:53 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,397 Likes on 21,386 Posts

Heard it don't do much at all. I do have the automatic chain tensioner though, seems to work ok. Keep us posted.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:30 PM
x2lee
Banned

I did my venting of a K&N forcewinder myself for under 10 bucks, it works great.I did one more mod to it the other day, I cut the 3/8 chrome lav pipe off 1" past the frame and slash cut one end of a 3/8s gas line with the coil facing downward on the tailpiece for looks and to divert the oil down and away from my tire.
Heres the link... https://www.hdforums.com/m_2495121/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: zenon9

zenon9 here,

Has anyone use a vent vavle off the crankcase breather hose.

I only have a cover over my hose.

I am looking at Hayden's product - Kank Vent Plus Valve Breather

and clone K&N Filter

Does anyone have experience with situationof venting in the crankcase?

Thanks.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:08 AM
zenon9
Intermediate

Hi Guys,

Installed the Krank vent system on the scooter. It does sound a little different - I am not sure about additional power.

I installed it becauseof the one way valve to keep debris from entering the bottom end.

That's It.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:56 PM
twobanger
Advanced

I had a 1980 shovel that puked oil from the breather. I put the breather up as high as I could and then installed a ' T ' in the line before the breather.
I then piped the 'T' back into the oil tank. Instead of dumping the oil it just drained back to the tank. Much better than getting oil all over everything under the seat.

Quick Reply: crankcase venting