EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo Torque Arm

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Default Evo Torque Arm

Despite having owned Harleys since the 1970s I only yesterday discovered the Carlini Torque Arm,designed to stiffen the righthand side of the engine/transmission on tuned Evo motors. Soundslike the sort of thing I should have!

I have searched this website andthe internetand found Carlini's website. Link:

http://www.carlinidesign.com/harley-parts-accessories/torque-arm/mortorcycle_online_CarliniTorqueArm.pdf

Are there any other torque arms out there? Has anyone any experiences of these things they would like to share?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Old 12-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Fishrdr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evo Torque Arm

There's another remedy out there fromwww.alloyart.com,it connects the bottom of the transmission to the engine to accomplish the same result. Although I don't have it on my bike, I have read favorable reviews about it. It seems like it would be a easier install and I think it costs a little more than the one your looking at.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:24 AM
96 Glide
Advanced

I have one call'ed race brace and it has looks as well as fuction and it came with the bike when I got it .

Old 12-09-2007, 11:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member

We learn something new each day! Never heard ofAlloy Artbefore, so many thanks for telling me about them. Looks like the TXRdoes a different job to thetorque arm. And their Tri-link front stabilizer looks like another good idea.

In fact fitting one of each looks like a good idea.... [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 12-09-2007, 12:28 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The torque arm doesn't have anything to do with the Evo. It was needed on the first few years of the Dyna frame because it was so flexy that it would twist under the torque of even a stock engine and crack the primary case. Their solution was to solidly bolt the engine case to the transmission case. While this obviously doesn't strengthen the frame, it did seem to prevent the excessive flexing.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:33 PM
grbrown
Club Member

ORIGINAL: 96 Glide

I have one call'ed race brace and it has looks as well as fuction and it came with the bike when I got it .
Thanks for that - I am learning fast! I now know that Screaming Eagle made a 'race brace', which is almost identical to Carlini's 'torque arm'. In fact I wonder if Carlini made them both!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:18 AM
js124
Tourer

Carlini made the harley one also . There is a need for it if you have a large motor . The alloy art is a total different peice that proforms a different funtion . If you start to have inner primary problems (broken) a torque arm will help .

Old 12-10-2007, 03:49 PM
grbrown
Club Member

ORIGINAL: js124

Carlini made the harley one also . There is a need for it if you have a large motor . The alloy art is a total different peice that proforms a different funtion . If you start to have inner primary problems (broken) a torque arm will help .
Thanks js124. I reckon we are on the same wavelength, what with carb advice and all! I have found a couple of SE race braces for sale, yet to make my move.

I am trying to avoid any primary problems, also improve handling, which is where the Alloy Art stuff may help further. But I will take this part of my 'project' one step at a time.

My winter project is 'handling'. The Fournales airshocks went on the rear end last week, the Hyperpro progressive fork springs are waiting to go in, new tyres are ordered- this thing will be chasing sport bikes by the time I finish!

Old 12-10-2007, 04:58 PM
TIPN8R
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

The torque arm doesn't have anything to do with the Evo. It was needed on the first few years of the Dyna frame because it was so flexy that it would twist under the torque of even a stock engine and crack the primary case. Their solution was to solidly bolt the engine case to the transmission case. While this obviously doesn't strengthen the frame, it did seem to prevent the excessive flexing.
Right on!

I have the Carlini on my scoot, although I have never had an issue with flexin, it was handed to me as a gift and I figured it was addin some rigidity to the whole set-up. Just gonna pop it off this winter to have it powdercoated black

Old 12-13-2007, 05:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Gentlemen,

Just five days ago I discovered an accessory I didn't know existed. In that short time I have learned all about it and decided I would like one! I can even report that I have just bought a Screaming Eagle Race Brace for my Electra Glide Sport, at a bargain price. It just has to travel across the 'pond' to the UK and for me to fit it. [8D]

I have also learned about the two Alloy Art stabilizers and will investigate them in easier time.

What a great thing this Forum is! Many thanks to you all for your help. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Quick Reply: Evo Torque Arm