EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Kickstarter with Dynatek ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:51 AM
jokenroll
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Kickstarter with Dynatek ignition?

Does it make any sense to install a kickstarter on 93ci Evo, 9.5 compression, which has
Dyna 2000 module?
I mean if it has to spin for a while before it starts sending a signal to the coil, I may not be able to kickstart it...

Old 02-13-2008, 01:56 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kickstarter with Dynatek ignition?

Think about it but once you put a kicker on it you're very limited as to the exhaust system you can put on it. Most of todays manufacturers only make exhaust for electric start bikes.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:54 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with the outlaw also if you must kick the Dyna s is a better system .

Old 02-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Rob85WG
Tourer

I think the dyna s is for use with point style advance. From the Dyna web site: "uses a magnetic rotor with the original spark advancer, so the factory advance curve is maintained"

I have the Dyna 2000i which has programmable advance. Sometimes it will kick, sometimes not, but it always works when I push the button. What I like is the programmable curves and LEDs to help set the timing.

I was hoping it would kick start easier with the Dyna 2000i set up for single fire but so far it's a crap shoot whether it will kick over. I think it's easier on the starter if you kick it a few times before you push the button.

If you discover the secret of kick starting a beefed up evo, please let me know. I may have a dead battery one day and need to kick it over.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:13 PM
pistole
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Robertgmirchell

If you discover the secret of kick starting a beefed up evo, please let me know. I may have a dead battery one day and need to kick it over
- great big strappin'leg muscles.

- sorry , couldn't resist !

Old 02-14-2008, 03:47 PM
jokenroll
Road Captain

Thank you for your input gentlemen!

Well, I see it would be possible to kickstart it somehow.
I do not worry much about pipes, since I'll have true duals, or, if I don't like them, 2 into 1.
Most of them, I believe, will go low enough to clear the pedal[8D]

Old 02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
kiwidave2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crane Hi-4 has 'kickstart' setting.

Problem solved. Fires on the first revolution of the flywheels, all other aspects being correct.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 PM
BULLRACO
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the biggest issues in kick starting a harley with a magnetic( oem style hall effect ) trigger is the speed of the rotor passing the trigger,if you have a high comp engine with lighter than stock flywheels (S&S) you may not be able to spin the engine over fast enough by kicking to break the flux field of the trigger , the end result is no spark is supplied as the module hasn't seen a trigger point happenning,
this is why some times it will fire sometimes she don't . You can prove this to yourself by removing the rotor and trigger plate, rotate the rotor through the trigger slowly and you will see no spark at the plugs, rotate faster and you will see spark at the plugs,I hope this helps.
Big heavy flywheels help as the enercia helps overcome the kicking speed flywheel speed being slowed by the following cylinders compression .

Old 07-23-2011, 10:55 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by jokenroll
Does it make any sense to install a kickstarter on 93ci Evo, 9.5 compression, which has
Dyna 2000 module?
I mean if it has to spin for a while before it starts sending a signal to the coil, I may not be able to kickstart it...
From the Dynatek site:
(Note that this is a 2000i system)

Can I kick start my motor with the 2000i installed?How?
Yes, but it will require reprogramming the dead revs back to zero (0). Out of the box, the 2000I has 3 dead revs like a stock Harley-Davidson System. This is also a benefit for high compression motors using an electric starter. The kick must not start on the compression stroke (sensor in the window on the cup). Stopping ‘in the window’ will execute the soft turn off. The leading AND trailing edges of the window must be seen by the 2000i to make a spark.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:53 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,841 Likes on 17,456 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
From the Dynatek site:
(Note that this is a 2000i system)

Can I kick start my motor with the 2000i installed?How?
Yes, but it will require reprogramming the dead revs back to zero (0). Out of the box, the 2000I has 3 dead revs like a stock Harley-Davidson System. This is also a benefit for high compression motors using an electric starter. The kick must not start on the compression stroke (sensor in the window on the cup). Stopping ‘in the window’ will execute the soft turn off. The leading AND trailing edges of the window must be seen by the 2000i to make a spark.
What this says or go the Dyna S and use a good stainless steel & bearing advance unit instead of the cheap *** black ones , that's my fav combo for big shovels . Also back your timing down to 30 -32 deg. bike will start easier and you'll find runs pump gas better .

Jim's Machine makes a kicker shaft that is 3/4" longer than the standard and it will clear most big pipes , that and a 1" longer stainless kick arm makes big motors more manageable . I have to use it on my shovel 93" at 11-1 comp dual plugged and no releases , starter just grunts .

Quick Reply: Kickstarter with Dynatek ignition?