EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What is so great about FXR's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:41 PM
big mahk
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is so great about FXR's?

I've heard that Eric Buell designed the FXR frame. Maybe so. I don't know but for sure the frame is a total stretched out copy of a Norton Commando, one of the finest handling street bikes ever built. Depending on what specs you use an FXR is between 40lbs and 60lbs lighter than a comparably equipped Dyna and you can feel it. The FXR also has a 32 degree rake in the front end compared to 29 degreeson a Dyna. That should make the FXR slower turning into a turn but that is not the case, probably because of the lighter weight. A good FXR that has enough ground clearance (not the Lowriders) is both nimble and rock steady in fast sweepers. I have a pumped up 2000 FXR4and I love it but I think a good Dyna is not so far behind. You have to remember this "handling" stuff is secondary to the skills and cajones of the rider. Also your pipes and pegs will be dragging long before you're really able to fully appreciate the handling of an FXR.

Harley tried to recapture some of the appeal of the FXR with the FXDX, hyping it as a sport handling Dyna. I think it had an even steeper rake on the front end and you find a lot of their owners putting on aftermarket steering stabilizers to counteract a slight twitchiness at high speed.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Ol' Biker
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wallster
I owned my '91 FXR for seven years, wish I still had her. Rubber mounted motor and agreat handlingbike,(very nimble). Iadded ross racing pistons, crane cam, screamin eagle ignition, and a bunch of other goodies.
Here's what she looked like when I sold her.

Walt
'92 flstc
Hi Walt, hope you're still monitoring the forum. I love the stance of your FXR. Maybe you could help me out with my "new for me" 84 FXR? I like the look of the wide glide front like you had, was yours OE or custom? I'm finding a lot of stock HD take off wg fronts, just not sure what will fit? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks, JR.

Last edited by Ol' Biker; 10-08-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 AM
98 FLHX
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you spend any time in the saddle of one, it's really hard to explain.
My brother had one in the 80's, and I was sold from there....
I passed up many Dyna's....just not the same.....at all.
Looked for one in great shape for two years before I found mine.
Unmolested and less than 5500 miles when I bought it.
Quick, nimble,....and when you ride with your buddies, it's easy to find your sled in a parking lot full of Softail's.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 AM
bparsel
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 10-07-2009, 09:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by big mahk
I've heard that Eric Buell designed the FXR frame. Maybe so. I don't know but for sure the frame is a total stretched out copy of a Norton Commando, one of the finest handling street bikes ever built.
I beg to differ there! Awful things and not a patch on my Rocket 3. A friend of mine was a development engineer at Norton and they spent a fortune trying to improve the handling of the things. But that is a story for another day!

Originally Posted by big mahk
Harley tried to recapture some of the appeal of the FXR with the FXDX, hyping it as a sport handling Dyna. I think it had an even steeper rake on the front end and you find a lot of their owners putting on aftermarket steering stabilizers to counteract a slight twitchiness at high speed.
This FXDXT owner fitted a True-Track handling kit. Transformed it!

I think they have longer shocks, which lifts the rear and may change rake a little.

I like the idea of an FXR with a really big inch motor.....

Last edited by grbrown; 10-07-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added para.
The following users liked this post:
aces&8s (12-16-2017)
Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

How is that FXR frame different than mine?

Old 10-07-2009, 12:36 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
How is that FXR frame different than mine?
They are similar, but not interchangeable. If nothing else the touring frame has brackets for footboards, saddlebags and all the other trappings of the dressers, different shock mounts, etc. Also Harley choose to have the fork legs behind the steering head, so the front of the frame projects further forwards.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Ugh. Awful. Worse POS The MoCo ever sold.

(Hopefully this will keep the prices down so I can build my ultimate bar hopper...)

Old 10-07-2009, 02:19 PM
bparsel
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
Ugh. Awful. Worse POS The MoCo ever sold.

(Hopefully this will keep the prices down so I can build my ultimate bar hopper...)

Agreed, those are by far the coolest barhoppers around. Of course there is a sweet '79 shovel for sale by me that has a nice price I'm considering as well!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I had a '79 shovel. My advice is RUN!! RUN AWAY!! FAST AS YOUR EVO WILL TAKE YOU!!!

Quick Reply: What is so great about FXR's?