EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Help! Harley-Davidson Evo Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:12 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,679 Likes on 1,094 Posts
Default RE: Help! Harley-Davidson Evo Engine Problem

There are 2 screws that hold a plastic bracket for the stator of the alternator. The hole drilled for those screws DO go all the way through and if either are missing, that will let a lot of oil migrate from the engine to the primary.
All the race and bearing arrangement is BEHIND the main seal and has NOTHING to do with holding oil anywhere!
And the bearing you photo sent is the one you want (pre-set load) if you do decide to go that deeo into the engine. Remember the cases have to come apart to replace the bearing set and you really need the special driver set to do it without destroyin the case.
Been trying to post back to this thread for some time with no luck, hope I can get this through.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/6678/3AA650C2389C4B6A9DB91BBC63D24B7A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-01-2008, 04:19 PM
jaro
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks t150vej
every conception is useful...

&nbsp\\;
2 screws hole, about which you write, they be drilled through at me through case (I checked this, putting there thin wire).
The wall of case is very thin.
I screwed on silikon screw, but this did not help [sm=smiley6.gif]
&nbsp\\;
...It was done by this more and more stupider slowly...
I wait, until cousin brings me the set of gaskets. She lives in USA. In&nbsp\\;Europe and in Poland parts&nbsp\\;of Harley cost a lot of (duty, taxes, etc.)... I will take apart then whole engine.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Sorry, I do not understand sentence:
Best deal is the pre-loaded bearing from Timken for about 30 bucks. Has all the right matched parts including correct pre-load spacer.
...30 bucks??? [sm=smiley23.gif]&nbsp\\;What it marks from technical side???

Old 08-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Campingout
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaro

You won't find an OEM part number for the race, I don't think. It is part of the case half. It is cast in the case when the case is built. The race is not a separate OEM part.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
Campingout,
I found figure from repair manual CLYMER.
Part number 5&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;and 7 is this, about which you write "race"??? (click on Thumbnail Image)

[IMG]local://upfiles/68003/A6E42DFF92164FB6BBEE742E20338559.jpg[/IMG]
No. That appears to be the bearing races. Sorry about the confusion, i'll call it a sleeve instead. I am speaking of the steel sleeve that items 1 through 7 are installed into. It is the steel sleeve that is cast into the left case half, through which the sprocket shaft goes from the crankcase into the primary. It is not a normally removable part, as it is cast in place. Those years had faulty cases causing leaking between the sleeve and the aluminum in the case. The picture shows it, but not as a removable part. The picture shows it in place in the left case half.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Campingout
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By "30 Bucks" he means that the price of the bearing set is 30 American dollars, or $30. Bucks = dollars.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:32 AM
jaro
6th Gear

Thanks, Campingout

I understand all now!
If oil leaks there where you write, then case is "for junk". I have to buy
new?

By "30 Bucks" he means that the price of the bearing set is 30
American dollars, or $30. Bucks = dollars.
Right. But at us in slang: money = baksy

Old 08-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

jaro,
If the case is leaking at the race, you can have one of your local machine shops replace the race there and bore you existing case oversize to fit. I know how resourceful people are in your part of the world. The repair is not uncommon here in the US, and I'm sure someone can do it for you there. This would be what someone previously referenced to by sending the case to a company here for the repair. I used to see a small shop do the same thing back 25 years ago with shovlehead cases, so it is not anything new.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:17 PM
tobyhd1
Tourer

I`m curious as to how you will start the bike to check for leaks with the primary chain removed?Toby

Old 09-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Charlie Jackson
Stage I
Default oil tank pressurizing

as of late, in the past 4 weeks my 80" evo will spit out the oil dipstick whenever the engine is cold. it will also puke out a lot of oil too. whats going on with it?!

Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Jackson
as of late, in the past 4 weeks my 80" evo will spit out the oil dipstick whenever the engine is cold. it will also puke out a lot of oil too. whats going on with it?!
Man you would get much better results starting a new thread than bringing up a 4 year old one.

Is it puking oil from the dip stick or from the breathers.