Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice FXR Kamil!

Old 08-25-2008, 03:17 PM
flstf93
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't recall who said it, but, "the twin cam, Harley Davidson's first disposable engine!". Not only that, stock for stock, my 93 evo will walk right away from any twin cam 88 stock for stock

Old 08-25-2008, 03:26 PM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kamil
Evo is ugly, it dosn`t have wide tire (skinny 130 in the rear), it is only 80 CID, under 70 HP, it`s needs more maitenance

I don`t know how it is in the USA (easier to get parts than here) but Evos are old (Last Evo was produced in 2000 - 8 years agoo). Most of people who rides don`t want to work on bikes but they want ride. TC is almost trouble free. On my Super Glide (had 2001 FXD) I was just replacing oils. On my curent ride 1993 FXR I still need to do something. Nothing serious - intake manifold gasket, stator was burned , now it started to leaking oil from primary (need new gasket). The starter also need inspections. And both bikes FXD and FXR has about the same mileage 38k miles.
Evo's need more maintenance? Twin cams are almost trouble free? What planet is this guy from??? Cant compare an 8 year old bike to a 16 year old bike.....

Attached Thumbnails Dying Breed?-bothbikes.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Kamil
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigtone
Evo's need more maintenance? Twin cams are almost trouble free? What planet is this guy from??? Cant compare an 8 year old bike to a 16 year old bike.....
Well,I think I can compare those two bikes... Just because one is older does not make comparision impossible.

Yes, Evolution compared to new TC needs more maitenance. Just as you notice because Evo are older (I realize that most of my problems with FXR are du to its age). Last few months I was working on `07 Wide Glide. EFI, automatic chain tensioner, electronic ignition makes those bikes more "user friendly".

Bigger part of riders prefer to ride instead adjusting primary chain or cleaning carburator. Some of them just don`t know how to adjust carburator, others just don`t want to get their hands dirty. There are even people wich can`t understand how to operate choke (EFI will probably never foul plugs). Why do you think MoCo came with new engines, 6 speed gearboxes, 200mm rear tires (btw I know that it just for "show") and all this stuff? New clients were expecting changes in this direction. they want "show bikes", "choppers" straight from dealership (together with bad biker image ).

And yes, Twin Cam is very reliable engine. In my opinion better than Evo. My ideal Harley would be FXR frame with TC engine and new style brakes calipers.

P.S. Planet Earth, year 2008

Old 08-25-2008, 08:21 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley's production figures are so much higher than they were back in the days of the Evo. Just a guess, but I would think that, at this point, there have been more TC's built than there were Evo's.
There are so many people buying HD's these days because it's "the thing to do". They aren't mechanically inclined and have no interest or aptitude in maintaining their bikes. Most likely put on less than a few thousand miles a year. They want something they can turn the key and go, and will have it towed to the dealer when it doesn't go. No disrespect to them. It's a luxury recreational item.
What's scarier still is how many dealer service departments are abandoning the older bikes. Someone posted on here a while back that their dealer wouldn't work on Evo's. Likely they don't have mechanics that know their way around them.

I love my '08 Road Glide. It's an incredibly competent machine, beautiful, and fun to ride. But I also love my '99 FXR2 and will probably still own that well after the RoadGlide has been traded in on something else.

BTW...isn't there a post somewhere on this board that's titled "What's an FXR?"

Old 08-25-2008, 08:22 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

What I like about the evo is that I can do the maintenance instead of paying someone $85.00 per hr to do it.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The hot running is apparently inherent to the Twin Cam. I thought that maybe when they lightened the excessively heavy rods for the 96" iteration that the problem might be lessened; instead the 96 runs hotter than ever. An engine that runs at near overheating temps for its lifetime cannot be as reliable as one that does not, i.e. the Evo.
Then there's the change from the bullet-proof tapered Timken main bearings to the caged roller bearing for the '03 model year. Performance engine builders immediately began seeing this bearing self-destruct, and as stock or nearly stock engines begin going over 100,000 miles, they are starting to fail, too, not from abuse, just from the fact that that type of bearing is not adequate for high-mileage power-side use.
Then there's the "parent material" cam bearings in the 96; a cute way of saying there's no bearing or bushing at all. The end of the camshaft just spins in a hole machined in the case, and you'd better hope there's always plenty of oil there.
Not that the Evo doesn't have its faults. The change to the caged inner cam bearing caused many failures in Evos, but HD failed to learn a lesson and carried over the same type bearing to the Twin Cam with the same failures. At least the Evo had a reliable gear-driven cam, as opposed to the mickey mouse chain driven TC, which has been an endless source of problems, from the bearings to the adjusters to the chain.
My own experience with my 135K Evo? Had to replace the alternator at 50K, the base gaskets at 65K, had two lifters fail (replaced with Crane), replaced the cam bearing with the proven Torrington when the first lifter failed, had to put a repair kit in the starter solenoid, had the shifter return spring fail at around 80K. Went to an EV13 cam when the second lifter failed. Still running the original electronic ignition, clutch and drive belt. My bike does not burn any noticeable amount of oil and gets 47-51 mpg. And I'll take my 5 speed transmission over the new 6 speed any day. The new tranny seems to be built heavy, but it's designed in such a way that the expense of a gear failure is such that you might as well get a whole new tranny. Disposable.
So both engines have their problems, but the Evo was designed well, and it runs nice and cool. Its problems stem from HD being cheap with bearings and lifters, and some years have some bad engine cases. But the Twin Cam was poorly designed from the start, as evidenced from the fact that no one has been able to retro-engineer the hot-running out of it. I doubt that you'll ever see the same number of high-mileage TC's as Evos. I've got to give the reliability nod to the Evo, without a doubt.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Read my sig. That said, I have a PM from dswansbiker that disagrees with me, and he's right. The Evo was the first throwaway motor. Quoting part - "The first throw away HD motor was the 1991 Evo. ..., ... the first year the factory deleted the cast-in steel bearing liners. That combined with the crap castings in the early Nineties made them a true throw away motor."

You can still buy a brand new HD Evo. It's based on the 1999 model. The castings are superb, but it doesn't have the cast-in steel race. I don't know if it has Timken or caged main bearings. I have one in the 1987 Sloptail I'm rebuilding.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 PM
4x4Given
Tourer
Cool

I bought a brand new EVO (1999 spec'ed crate motor, with a 1 year, unlimited mileage warranty). It was in a well cared for, just serviced (front to back) 1995 Electra Glide Classic Ultra chassis, that only had 42,800 miles on it. 130 back tire? No, I have a 140 (I know that ain't jeans poppin fat, but it ain't a 130 either). 80"? Yep. Slow? Nope. But shoot, my wife's XL1200L will outrun most TC 88 and 96's. (hint, it ain't about speed or accceleration, it's a Harley)

Reliable? Well, that's going to be more of an issue of how you take care of it and how you ride it, because the design is just a good as any TC.

Hard to find parts? Are you kidding? They are everywhere, AND... if you like the newer "look", most of the later model stuff fits just fine (or at the most requires only the smallest and simplest mod). Personally, I love the look fo the FLHX Street Glide. But I have a 1995 FLHTCU Ultra. No problem. Virtually every thing from an FLHX will fit on an old 'Glide like mine. So, before long, I will have an EVO Street Glide, and I'll bet that only the attentive, trained eye will catch on. Oh, and I'll save a good $7,000 - $8,000 too!

Me? I'm sticking with EVO's because they just plain make sense, cost less and have more heart and soul. (YMMV)

Old 08-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

That bagger of yours makes me wish I woulda saved myself some cash and bought an older evo bagger instead! Sweet ride!

Quick Reply: Dying Breed?