EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Fairing Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 04:58 AM
petenpole
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairing Swap

I have a 93 Electra Glide with 20K miles and it is a sweet machine.

I am curious if I can swap the bat wing fairing for a frame mounted fairing? And if the answer is yes are the frame mounted fairings readily available used?

Last part of the questions is what complications are involved in this type of change?

Thank you for any insight

Old 11-27-2008, 05:29 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,670 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I've not done it, but you'd have no trouble in the swap. And I'm not sure if the wiring terminal blocks would exactly match up. I know they're different in the older models. Keep an eye on ebay and craigslist.org. I saw several RoadGlide fairings on ebay a while back, but can't seem to find them now.

Beautiful thing is, if you do swap it out and want to sell your batwing, you'd probably get more for yours than you'd spend on the fixed fairing

Old 11-27-2008, 06:08 AM
petenpole
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the information.

Is there any down sides to going to a fixed frame mounted fairing aside from not being original?

Old 11-27-2008, 06:56 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

I've ridden fixed fairing for 20 years. At first it'll startle you when you are backing up / parking or making a sharp turn because "things" are turning, but all you're accustomed to see move, is now stationary. All that distraction is temporary and I suppose the time it would take getting over it would be different for each individual.

When I bought mine used ('87) (without riding it first), I told the dealer to order all that it would take to convert from an FLT to an FLH. He said he would, but do myself a favor and ride it at least 50 miles first. I agreed and called him back after 10 miles and told him to forget it! Mine has super large compartments which are great when traveling, I'm not sure about the later ones - haven't really looked at them because they're usually going down the road rather than being parked at a bar or dealership "looking cool."

Otherwise, as far as handling, you'd never notice any difference. No adverse effect from cross wind beyond what you get with a fork mount. They are a bit more aerodynamic and the few people I've spoken with, who do ride them besides myself, indicate they generally get a little better mileage than other people/different bikes they ride with under similar conditions. (speed, temperature, cruising)

One really good thing - if you're having a bad day and wobble taking off or stopping at a light, no one will ever notice because the headlights never move.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:20 AM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I converted my 90 Ultra to a frame mounted FLT fairing a few years ago. I was going to go with a roadglide fairing, but because of paint issues (long story) I ended up finding an nos FLT fairing in the color of my bike on ebay, so I went with that. You can use all the factory brackets, gauge mounts, etc, but you will have to do a bunch of wiring mods in the front end. Your gauges and stereo can be reused. Advantages, better handling on the interstate in crosswinds. Cuts thru the wind straight as an arrow. Nice size compartments in the fairing. You can hear the stereo better, as the speakers are higher and pointed at you. More room for your arms to stretch out, something I didnt have with the FLHT fairing. Only disadvantage is windshields are a little tougher to find, and more money, but you can buy lexan and make your own. Maybe I'm weird, but I like the look of this fairing better, maybe because it seems like everyone rides an FLHT now, and the 2 headlights stand out a little.

Attached Thumbnails Fairing Swap-bothbikes.jpg  
Old 11-27-2008, 08:27 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by bigtone
I converted my 90 Ultra to a frame mounted FLT fairing a few years ago. I was going to go with a roadglide fairing, but because of paint issues (long story) I ended up finding an nos FLT fairing in the color of my bike on ebay, so I went with that. You can use all the factory brackets, gauge mounts, etc, but you will have to do a bunch of wiring mods in the front end. Your gauges and stereo can be reused. Advantages, better handling on the interstate in crosswinds. Cuts thru the wind straight as an arrow. Nice size compartments in the fairing. You can hear the stereo better, as the speakers are higher and pointed at you. More room for your arms to stretch out, something I didnt have with the FLHT fairing. Only disadvantage is windshields are a little tougher to find, and more money, but you can buy lexan and make your own. Maybe I'm weird, but I like the look of this fairing better, maybe because it seems like everyone rides an FLHT now, and the 2 headlights stand out a little.
That's interesting an FLT worked worked out good for you. From what I've looked, the RoadGlide is a 2-piece arrangement(?) whereas yours and mine are a one piece unit. Looks great from the photo I see, if you can sometime, put up one of the front.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:11 PM
bigtone
Cruiser

Correct, the roadglide is a 2 piece, and actually is rather flimsy. The compartments are smaller too. The tour glide fairing is one piece, but it is very strong. There actually is alot of room for storage in the fairing. here is a pic of the front.

it seems the website will not let me load a pic....

Last edited by bigtone; 11-27-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 11-27-2008, 04:15 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Though I've not beaten on a RoadGlide fairing, I know mine is quite strong. No, I didn't drop it, but forgot to set the kickstand once in the garage and it held up the bike against a tool box at a 45 angle - no damage even to the paint. Can't believe I'm admitting to that in public...

One thing I forgot, my factory casette/radio died and I've tried 4 different CD/FM players and cannot play a CD when in motion. May just be my bike, but it seems the mounts transmit a very fine vibration that is difficult to feel by hand. It's just enough the queer any CD player I've tried to the point I gave up on disc music. Now use a USB chip transmitter in the cigarette lighter - works great. Now they have CD/FM players with a USB receptacle built-in. That'll be my next neccessory

Old 11-27-2008, 06:28 PM
IA DPE
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know how the swap works. I'm thinking of going w/ a touring rig, as mama says the Low Rider doesn't "fit" her anymore on longer rides. I like the fixed fairing, but also like the rear speakers/ volume control in the Tour Pak.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Hanoverfiste
Advanced

ok, bringing this thread back from the dead... I have a 93 electraglide, and I would like to update the inner fairing to a 97, I realize I will need all new gauges. Is this a straight forward swap? or am I biting off more than I can chew? any input would be greatly appreciated..

Quick Reply: Fairing Swap