EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Another swingarm question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 AM
steinbc
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another swingarm question

Last fall started with wanting to get my 99 fatboy repainted this winter. Well, you all know harley projects tend to spin violently out of control. My repainting project turned into new fenders, stretched tank, thunderheader pipe, ness big sucker, and forward controls. In addition a woods w-6, drag bars, new seat, and possibly a crane ignition will be on before spring. Now I am thinking about doing a wider tire kit on it. I don't want to go too big due to the potential trans issues and the effects on handling. I have been reading the forums and found that you can fit a larger tire in the stock swingarm. How big will fit easily (rim size/wheel size)? I was thinking 160 - 180 possibly 200 MAX (i read that a 200 would be tight in another forum). I know that the spacers are going to have to be modified but do you need to go to a narrower pulley? What about the front pulley?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:15 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You have to "reverse engineer" this. First measure inside the narrowest part of the rear fender, if there is a wire loom on one side you need to subtract a like amount from the other side in order to keep the tire centered. Once you've determined the maximum width you can put under the bike then you select the wheel. Next you figure what you need for axle spacer to put the wheel centered, then you will need a narrower rear pulley or chain. Once you've figured that out you will need to figure what spacers you may or may not need for the pulley/sprocket and brake rotor. Unless you go too wide the front pulley should work with most narrow belt conversions. Hope this helps

Old 01-18-2009, 04:46 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by steinbc
Last fall started with wanting to get my 99 fatboy repainted this winter. Well, you all know harley projects tend to spin violently out of control.
Yup - been there! Sympathies from across the Atlantic, and best of luck with the present project. If your weather is anything like ours, there is plenty of time yet until the riding season gets here....

Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM
kickstart pan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Yup - been there! Sympathies from across the Atlantic, and best of luck with the present project. If your weather is anything like ours, there is plenty of time yet until the riding season gets here....
you should be able to go to 150 and a chain with out any trouble.
You can prob go to a 150 even with a 1" pulley
Stay with the stock rim and it makes the tire tread look wider from the back anyway

More than that and see all of the above, it gets exspensive and when your done you wonder why you wasted all that for a wide tire.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:33 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree, I've seen so many guys spend a bunch of cash putting on a wider tire that will be mostly covered up by the fender. The only wide tire conversion I'd recommend doing is the p/m kit, they are pricey but really look and will totally change the look of you bike. I think the whole wide tire craze is coming to an end.