EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo Top End Rebuild Questions....

Old 04-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Rocketman69
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok...

Thanks to everyone for the advice. John from MIA Cycles called me and gave me some good advice, and I decided that while I had the heads off to get them shaved, I'd have them rebuild the heads.....money I didn't want to spend, but the local indy is taking care of me on the machine work. New valves, seats, seals, guides, port & flow, resurfacing...should be a nice little improvement. I noticed the exhaust valves had play in the guides, so I might as well do it all at once.

Found out that the original owner must have put in an SE-H3 cam at some point, with adjustable pushrods, but from what I can tell, the ECM was never remapped correctly for the Stage 2 kit. Hell, the thing still had stock pipes on it when I bought it. The exhaust valves where almost pure white, and there is a ton of carbon built up on the tops of the pistons. Cylinders look pretty good for the most part, with very minor scuffing from the piston skirts. Pretty much what I expected to see.

Should have the heads back by Monday (fingers crossed) and my replacement-replacement rocker boxes should be here by Wednesday. I'm going to try getting the cam side of the engine put back together tonight.

Looks like I'm going to have to get with Jaime at FuelMoto for a better calibration.

Last edited by Rocketman69; 04-02-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:37 PM
steve williams
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cam bearing must be tough, the guy I bought my 96 classic, beat it to pieces, rattling is a understatement. Put a new cam in, tried green lock tight, 700 dollars less than 1000 miles screaming again. Now i am looking for new cases or another motor to build. Any suggestions

Old 03-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,339 Posts

More details, doode. What was beat to pieces? What did you green locktite and why? What was 700 bucks? What is screaming now?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:13 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
More details, doode. What was beat to pieces? What did you green locktite and why? What was 700 bucks? What is screaming now?
Im guessing zero end play off the cam! prolly spun the torrington in it's mounting hole.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 693 Likes on 357 Posts

Every time I head out on mine, I ALWAYS think the top end is too noisey. Sometimes it drives me crazy and I"ll ask my indy about it. He'll listen to it and tell me he hears nothing out of the ordinary. I asked about cam bearing and, he told me it would start to "howel" if the bearing was on the way out. I once thought I was having top end ratteling but it turned out that the front pipe heat shield clamp was lose and ratteling around. I chased that one for a while. lol Gas caps rattle around too!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 PM
bparsel
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mines been a sewing machine for as long as I can remember.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wish like hell I could run into you guys on the road somewhere. It would sure make me feel better to hear another one as loud as mine...

Old 03-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is a jackhammer at some rpm's. Drives me nuts. Louder than my old Shovel by a long shot. (And when the cam bearing started to go, you could definately hear it. Pretty nasty whine!)

Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 PM
dz1087
Cruiser

I thought mine was really loud too. Maybe we should start to post up video and see who has the loudest tick huh?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 PM
CKS
Cruiser

I didn't notice it to much till I put a WhimpShield on & thought HolyCrap what is that friggin noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo Top End Rebuild Questions....