EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo Top End Rebuild Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Rocketman69
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Evo Top End Rebuild Questions....

Ok...so here's the deal. I know everyone talks about the "Evo Rattle" and that it's normal and you just have to deal with it....well, my '97 Road King has rattled TERRIBLY since I picked it up last year, and even though it only has 23,000 miles on it, and seems well taken care of....I can't help but think there is something in the valvetrain that needs serious attention.

Sooo....since I recently bought a new cam cover and rocker boxes (that's another story and picture thread to come), I figured it would be a good chance to replace the lifters and pushrods. I got a sweet deal on some Andrews chrome-moly adjustables, and today was able to talk my stealer into selling me the Harley "B" lifters and an EV27 cam (might as well while I'm in there, right?) at a ridiculously cheap price....and believe me, I never pay more than I would have to on eBay.

So, now I have the cam, lifters, pushrods, new Timken bearing, oil seal, and associated gaskets. What else should I need to pick up? Do I need to replace the breather gear? Bushings? Valve seals?

I also seem to end up with a lot of oil in my air cleaner. Would it be advisable to hone the jugs and re-ring the pistons while I'm in there, or would it be a wast of time/money?

Any help from those who know what they're doing would be appreciated. I'm a good wrench, just don't have alot of Evo experience. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,341 Posts

If it was me, I would put the new stuff on and ride on. I wouldn't worry about a breather gear or valve seals unless you have a problem with them, which it doesn't sound like.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:08 PM
AnyRoad
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that cam is much like the one I just had put it my bike (SE3) and is quite happy with .030" taken off the heads. But I can't say I know this as truth. Maybe, someone can chime in with the proper recommendation. Or, just talk to your mechanic at the "stealership." Good luck!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:52 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,672 Likes on 1,091 Posts

No, Evo valve rattle isn't normal. You can expect some valve train "noise" when upgrading a cam, but not a rattle unless you get really radical on the modifications. Mine rattled since 12,000 miles and it took me years and lots of wasted dollars to figure out the problem for taking advice from too many people. Have to get to work and be back Friday, but send me a PM and I'll clue you in.

Always a good idea to freshen-up the top end if you have time and an extra 75.00 ... while you're into it.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:33 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Changing out the inner cam bearing to the Torrington type is recommended.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure that rocker arm end play is within specs. Check the screen to make sure that the top end is getting enough oil as this will cause a rattle. Another thing to think about is the valve seals. When you put a cam in with more lift you push the valve open farther. If there is some varnish built up on the stems it will score the valve seals causing them to leak over time. As previously stated cutting the heads .030"-.060" will wake up the motor even more with the cam you selected. If you have the heads cut you could have the valves and seals freshened up at the same time, foregoing the previously potential problem. Hope this helps.

Last edited by miacycles; 03-26-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:45 AM
abearcarver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have fun with the cam bearing removal

Taking my old bearing out was a son of a bitch .. even with a puller ..
I didnt know there was a lip/stopper on the inside edge of the hole. I ended up breaking the bearing all to hell and chipping it out with a sharp chisel .. The bearing is all cast not tin and man its in there.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:44 AM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

You've got everything you need. With your mileage, I'd leave the cylinders alone. If your new PRs are truly adjustables, you can just cut out the OEM ones and save you some time. Blind hole puller helps in getting out the old cam bearing. Mark your timing before you take nose cone apart and it will save you some time.

dave

Old 03-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Rocketman69
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just cut the old pushrods, but I'm already replacing the rocker boxes anyway.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Since you are replacing the rocker boxes, you will be installing new umbrella valves and that will possibly eliminate or reduce the oil in the air cleaner. There are other "fixes" for the oil problem. Ask around at your local indy shop(s).

Quick Reply: Evo Top End Rebuild Questions....