Never Trust the Previous owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts
Default Never Trust the Previous owner

Owner beware
I love the new 98 road king but been plagued by issues , jerking , slipping on take off , clutch not releasing properly , thought i had a bottom end knock but with the stethoscope all i heard was a beautiful purring noise . while checking for the knock i find the front motor mount bouncing around pretty good so today i change it . They come out a lot easier then you guys lead me to believe in fact they pretty much fall out when the mounting bracket's not attached to the engine No bolts nothing by the amount of grime under there its been that way for a while , what a bitch of a job getting the through bolts on and then the mount then align everything up again
If ya buy used and someone else has worked on it pretend i came in a box and put it all back together or chase your tail like i did

Rant over going for a ride

Dave

Old 05-09-2015, 04:48 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But look at all that you have learned! And now you can tell the next knucklehead how to do it

Old 05-09-2015, 10:45 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dave

Rant over going for a ride

Dave
I am really laughing my azz off
You won't have to look far to find a few stories like yours or worse.
If you have the time read kp77 thread. You wanna talk about about a guy working on and pouring his heart and soul into one. He has.
I bought mine thinking I could fix the fairing shaking with some brackets--- well that DIDN"T work.
Chased this vibration off and on for 18 months. Did get it fixed but Dang.
The more I worked it the more pissed I got but at the same time was determined to fix it.
Every time I would think about dumping it I would get a suggestion on something to try.

At the end of run I am more convinced to keep it. It's apart right now in prep for a paint job.

Glad ya got some of the bugs worked out, there maybe More

have a good 1 WP

Here ya go https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...lp-needed.html

Last edited by WP50; 05-10-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:36 PM
Diesel68mc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never ever take to heart what a previous owner of anything used has to say about what their trying to SELL you. That is exactally it most will tell you anything true or untrue to get that green out of your pocket. Its sad to say but situations like this help build a deep and intimate relationship with your bike. Only people I trust when it comes to buying from are ones I really know and have seen the history of the machine. Its a good learning experience but can get pricey.
D

Old 05-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,689 Likes on 1,341 Posts

That's why I only buy motors or vehicles with motors that have never been into by anyone except the factory that put it together. Anything else and I consider it as "needing a rebuild." Been burned on that one before too. Automotive wise, I prefer a used junkyard motor with 60K (or 100K) on it rather than a "just rebuilt" motor with 5K.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 AM
N-Truder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever I work on something or repair it, I assume somebody is going to critique my work next week. I take criticism to heart....