EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ultima 127 problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:03 PM
TheGoat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. They didn't want anything. He just sent them out.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 PM
choptop
Cruiser
Default 127

Originally Posted by TheGoat
No. They didn't want anything. He just sent them out.
Great, might expedite getting it back.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The last I knew Ultima was using Harley lifters. I know the "B" Evo lifters are supposed to be better than the ones that the earlier Evos had, but frankly, there are a lot better lifters available.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:12 AM
TheGoat
Tourer

Ultima is using Johnson High Lift Lifters. They told me that Johnson had upgraded there lifters last fall. That is when I got my new set. I have 2000 miles on them and they are also quiet compared to the old ones..

Old 06-01-2009, 05:27 PM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Goat:

Do you have a Jireh part number? Also did the stock Ultima adjustable pushrods close up enough to easily remove them? I know some adjustable pushrod are the EZ removal type and some are not.

thanks

joe

Old 06-01-2009, 06:26 PM
TheGoat
Tourer

I don't have a part number. Call Matt @ Midwest Motors (Ultima) and he will give you the part number. The pushrods are adjustable but not time savers. You need to take the rocker boxes off.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:25 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you guys send me your E-Mails I can send you a digital parts book for the engines.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:54 AM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miacycles
Ultima engines are having no more or less growing pains than S % S, Merch, TP, or any other engine manufacture. We've installed them all, and have had problems in the begining. Ultima will make a lot of things good, even after the warranty is over, try that with Harley. When you take in to consideration that most people aren't buying 100+ inch motors to drive back and forth to church on Sundays, I think it is pretty standup of them to do so. They also listen to their dealers and try to fix problems as fast as they can. All in all they give you a real value for your dollar, which I think is a good thing in todays economy.
Please don't take this wrong or that I'm being an A$$ but when I read these posts, which I read all over the forums, isn't something wrong here. I mean people are paying all this money on engines be it S&S,Ultima,Revtech,TP,Merch and I read where this and that go wrong under 5,10 and especially 20 thousand miles and we are happy we get some free parts?

If all these motors are based off of "OLD" design updated. Why the issues. "Growing pains" ? What is growing pains got to do with quality? I also understand the BIG MOTOR issue and longevity but engines going only 10,000 miles and parts failing. I also understand we read the PROBLEMS on here. But how many others that don't communicate on here buy these motors and quietly belly up to the bar and pay?

I feel most of the companies do their R&D at the end user expense. Then throw us a bone and say here ya go. Where is the learning from the past mistakes of others? If I'm not mistaken this isn't NEW..... I just don't get it

So say here is a family man on a budget, upgrades to say a 100,107 or 113. Its a crap shoot that the engine will last?

jim

Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 PM
IronButt62
Cruiser

Mulch.

When my 87 evo with 140K on it needed a rebuild, I was looking at $3K for a rebuild back to stock or maybe stroked to 89 OR $2700 plus installation for a Factory reman OR $3500 less whatever I could sell my old engine for (ended up getting a grand for it) for an Ultima 113.

Ultima's have been around for several years and from what I understand, they have had some growing pains. I figured that at this point, my odds of getting a good engine are pretty good.

It was worth it to me to take the risk on the Ultima and so far, aside from a pesky intake leak which is now fixed, I am really happy with it (a little over 3K miles at this point) I enjoyed doing the work myself and know enough about evo's to be dangerous. If a lifter or rocker fails and they will send me what I need, I don't mind fixing it.

Decision was a no brainer for "a family man on a budget" which is exactly what I am.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:42 PM
choptop
Cruiser

Matt tells my shop that the parts are on the way. Mulch63, ina world were warranties have become a joke, I quess we feel lucky to have a company give us something. 6 months/6 thousand miles isn't much of a warranty but I bought a big engine that a lot of people will abuse, I didn't , it broke, I got something, good on them, hope it sticks this time.

Quick Reply: Ultima 127 problem