EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Peace and Quiet with an Evo!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:26 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts

I too looked for quite a while before I found exactly what I wanted; a 98 RKC. Took me 6 months but I got one that had a whopping 2,500 miles on it. Gotta love these guys that buy a bike new then let it sit in the garage til you can head on over there and pick it up 10 years later.

I did quite a bit of research and asked questions at a local independent shop and he told me that the EVO motor was easier to work on and pretty much bulletproof. I don't buy and sell so the Road King will be here with me until I can't ride anymore (my dying day). Still got my other bike, an ironhead sportster so you can tell I like to hold on to them.

The guys in the Touring section seem to be mostly the type that buy a new bike every 2 years and have their oil changes done at the dealership. They then complain about how they got ripped off. I just don't understand why anybody trades their bike in every couple of years. The information there is sometimes helpful so long as it is generic or related to riding gear.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:28 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglide95th
I like it here myself. I hang out here and in the "Florida Crew" section. IMO our evos are more user friendly for maintaining and tinkering on. Always helpful people here when you stump your toe.

Thanks fellow evo lovers,

Mike
Do you need a plaster on that?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:34 PM
upright
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, my story is remarkably like Carl's. I bought my '98 Road King Classic from a family friend with 3K miles on it. He bought it new and didn't ride nearly as much as he thought he would. We worked out a deal and I flew from KC to Greensboro, SC and rode it back home. I put 950 miles on it in two days!

I love my Evo!

Attached Thumbnails Peace and Quiet with an Evo!-craig-and-road-king.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
FLSTCHD (09-07-2019)
Old 08-18-2009, 02:46 PM
98 FLHX
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
I too looked for quite a while before I found exactly what I wanted; a 98 RKC. Took me 6 months but I got one that had a whopping 2,500 miles on it. Gotta love these guys that buy a bike new then let it sit in the garage til you can head on over there and pick it up 10 years later.

I did quite a bit of research and asked questions at a local independent shop and he told me that the EVO motor was easier to work on and pretty much bulletproof. I don't buy and sell so the Road King will be here with me until I can't ride anymore (my dying day). Still got my other bike, an ironhead sportster so you can tell I like to hold on to them.

The guys in the Touring section seem to be mostly the type that buy a new bike every 2 years and have their oil changes done at the dealership. They then complain about how they got ripped off. I just don't understand why anybody trades their bike in every couple of years. The information there is sometimes helpful so long as it is generic or related to riding gear.
Sounds familiar.....looked for mine for almost 2 years....took my '93 home with 5190 miles...bone stock.
Eventually found my pristine FXR about 3 miles from my house, bought it from the original owner......and was thrilled with it, as it was my "blank canvas" I had been looking for.
Sure, I could have bought numerous bikes, but I knew I would eventually find the diamond in the rough.....
Now, a couple of years later, some of the guys who I occaisionally ride with have no idea what I ride, as they usually call it a Dyna.....
and they can't understand how my "little 80" EVO" has no problem whatsoever with their Twin Cams....
Just makes me chuckle.....

Enjoy the ride, boys......

Old 08-18-2009, 11:01 PM
tbear640
Intermediate

Kinda reminds me of what the old winger crowd used to be like, WAIT A MINUTE THEY ARE STILL LIKE THAT. (I bought that acc and it cost me this muuuch, check me out.
ITS ALL ABOUT RIDING AND NOTHING ELSE, but I've also found these forums to have a ton of usefull info, you know I guess that I have to take the good with the bad.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:23 PM
2nd Mike
Tourer

I like my EVO.
I just put 3000 miles on it over the last 8 days and it performed flawlessly.

I've considered a new one many of times but mine has been paid for for a long time!

I just like to ride..........and tinker.

I'd ride a mo-ped if that was all I had!!!!

Last week I rode with a bunch of family members from the north-west that all had newer HD's.

At night,after the ride,everyone hovered around my old RK commenting about how good it looked and ran!

I guess I have a classic!!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

I love my ol '96, She purrs like a kitten, has never left me stranded and will go anywhere a new one will. Best of all ITS PAID FOR!! Im gonna keep her till hell freezes if I can. Then i'll but new.

The following users liked this post:
Wookalar (03-23-2022)
Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,672 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Anyone caught bitchin on this thread will be sentenced to 30 days on the "Touring Section" only.
Second offense and you'll be sentenced to posting a question concerning primary fluid in the Touring Section and not be allowed to "unsubcribe" for 30 days and third offense ... it's too horrible to mention in public

The following 2 users liked this post by t150vej:
Navy Mustang (04-15-2020), V8deuce (04-11-2021)
Old 08-19-2009, 07:28 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I hear ya! I check in here pretty regularly, but rarely go anywhere other than the EVO forum anymore. I dont knock the new bikes, nor the riders, but its a different crowd and I'm much more comfortable with you guys.. There's too much "fasion show" discussion elsewhere... Guess I'm just getting older... Its funny how I've met guys many years ago who had the same feelings towards the EVO guys and tended to keep to themselves in the Shovel crowds..

Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by t150vej
Anyone caught bitchin on this thread will be sentenced to 30 days on the "Touring Section" only.
Second offense and you'll be sentenced to posting a question concerning primary fluid in the Touring Section and not be allowed to "unsubcribe" for 30 days and third offense ... it's too horrible to mention in public
Hard - but fair....

Quick Reply: Peace and Quiet with an Evo!