EVO All Evo Model Discussion

base gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:20 PM
the_ogre25
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default base gaskets

I am going to try to replace the base gaskets on my bike again here soon and had a few questions. I already have the oil fix from Hayden, that will be reinstalled. What gaskets would you recommend, Cometic or James,and why?
Also would you put any kind of sealer, hylomar or the like on them before install, or leave them dry?
I am also going to either get my jugs lapped till flat or buy the plate and do it myself. Am iI missing anything or should that do it? I know now the reason they are leaking is in-proper warm up also so I should not have this problem in the future.
One more question, can the lifter blocks be lapped or is there a trick to getting these to seal?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have my way to seal these Too long to type call me at 608-847-4240

Old 08-19-2009, 05:40 PM
the_ogre25
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

going to work soon, I will try to call you on my next day off, Monday.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:00 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

Give me an area code so I can ID you

Old 08-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't buy to many things from a stealer ship but the stock Harley gasket's seem to hold up the best(with no sealant's)

Old 08-20-2009, 01:35 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would try Cometic. I got the James gaskets nine or ten years ago, and they only lasted a few thousand miles longer than stock. I think Cometic are state of the art today.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I'm sure George has some good advice. We need an EVO FAQ or expanded sticky section for things like this, charging systems, The Dreaded Click, etc.

Anyway, when I did mine about 15 years ago, I asked my friend who owned the HD dealership and he said the kind to use was the metal ones with the silicone on them. I forget the brand, but they're still on there and still working fine, knock on wood.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I kind of gotta problem with this.

For some unknown reason, the Cometic base gaskets supplied with my new 85" cylinders and pistons would not line up properly with the Hayden jets (Too sloppy a fit). During assembly, I discovered that the Genuine James gaskets fit like a glove. Used the JG base gaskets with the Hayden jets and the supplied Cometic .030 head gaskets. Not a problem since and yes, the cylinder bases and cases were checked to be true before assembly.

Those gaskets were shipped back to Cometic for inspection along with a JG for comparison and I'm still waiting for an answer. BTW, for those interested Cometic also had a bad run of Umbrella valves. You will not know that you have a problem until your engine is assembled and does not vent through the heads correctly. A recall was issued, but some may still be out there.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:13 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,679 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
We need an EVO FAQ or expanded sticky section for things like this, charging systems, The Dreaded Click, etc.
Amen to that... but I reckon the only way you can have a sticky is to wallow with a sugar-coated twinkie... (Yeah Terry, hint-hint)

I've used and recommended James (metal) gaskets for years, but I'm backing off from them. Had a rocker lower leak on install (10 miles) and meticulously inspected on my re-do to find no reason for it from my work. I've also noticed an absence of coating on parts of the surfaces between the silicone lines. I also learned the man who owned the company (James) died somewhat recently and I suspect the new owners are doing the walmart deal by buying materials from the lowest bidder with no regards to quality.

OEM HD went to metal bases for about 2 - 3 months and switched back to paper in a hurry. I've had good luck with their rubber-coated metal rocker lower gaskets, so far, but bought a case of paper 2-piece recently.

Had a base seeping (James) after 15,000 miles. The new one I got had the same irregular coating, so I trashed it and used paper. I checked my compression before tear-down on the rear cylinder base leak, left the piston in the cylinder for the R & R, and checked it again immediately before starting - went up 7 Lbs. I went from a James head gasket (.040) to an S&S (.045) which was all I could get that day. Unless you use the "profile" type (which will surely leak), the metal base gaskets are .020 while the print-o-seal type is .013 (uncrushed) and honestly, I've never had a paper base leak - yet.

I refuse to pay the bucks for Cometic. So, everybody do what you works for you... I'm sticking with paper (or Mylar where applicable)

PS
Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
BTW, for those interested Cometic also had a bad run of Umbrella valves. You will not know that you have a problem until your engine is assembled and does not vent through the heads correctly. A recall was issued, but some may still be out there.
Last engine I did "on the road" I had a James T/E set and OEM rocker lowers with me. One of those James umbrellas was so distorted, it wouldn't even touch the spacer. I put one of the old ones back on and crossed my fingers. So far so good, but looks like they ALL have problems....

Last edited by t150vej; 08-20-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:03 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

Can you say " silicone " Fu#k the metal base gaskets etc etc I use Versachem mega gray gasket maker 9000 miles and no leaks ! Maybe it looks alittle tacky well so do I The metal gaskets are OK I've seen the paper HD blow right out !!

Quick Reply: base gaskets