EVO All Evo Model Discussion

'96 FLSTF Owners Manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:20 AM
devilock76
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 FLSTF Owners Manual

Any idea where I might track one down, digital would be fine vs killing more trees. I have a service manual en route but no owners manual.

Incidentally curious what the MOCO's recommendations are for full grade and oil weight for a 96 FLSTF. Just got her and last night put a tank of '93 in her and it was a markable difference (for the better) than whatever crud the dealer filled her up with. So it made me wonder about such HD Recommendations and the owners manual.

On another side note I have a split tank, looks to be a 5 gallon. Last night filling it up she took 4.7 gallons and at no point had I switched to reserve before this fillup. Now one I was conservative to not overfill, I am wondering if my petcock is mislabeled and I have been running it on reserve.

Ken

Old 09-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I don't know where the reserve hits on your tank, but you could have been close to it. Also, the "main" is a tube that sticks up from the petcock, and "reserve" is drawn from the bottom of the petcock. If there is a leak at the base of the "main" tube, you will in effect be on reserve regardless of where you have the petcock. The petcock was not mislabled. On an original HD petcock, down is main.

Oil choice is somewhat of a religious thing. Do a search or look in the Oil forum. I use H.D. original (dino) 20W50, which is what the manual says to use. I wouldn't get all excited about finding the owner's manual. I have one for both of my bikes, having bought both bikes new, and I never look at them. The Genuine H.D. shop manual will have all the info in it that you need.

I always put premium in my bikes.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 PM
devilock76
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That must be my answer. Seriously the way mine looks, for some reason it looked like UP was main. With my other carb'd bikes main was down, it has just been a while. I can start laughing at myself now, right? Maybe I was thinking because mine were metric and this is an HD it would be different?!?

Yeah I don't want to get into the oil debate. I am just curious about the "factory" recommendation.

Ken