EVO All Evo Model Discussion

84 FXRT Bad Clutch Drag Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Ol' Biker
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 84 FXRT Bad Clutch Drag Problem

HELP! (Sorry if something like this has been previously posted but I couldn't find it in a search.) I notice my 84 FXRT clutch drags and is most noticeable when the engine and clutch is cold. Now that the temps are dropping into the 50's here in WI, the drag doesn't go away like it did when the weather was warmer and I suppose the clutch got hotter. Anyway, I've adjusted the clutch and cable. The clutch engages with the lever about 3/4+ way out and it doesn't slip. Virtually no lever freeplay either. I've found I need to blip the throttle coming up to a stop with the clutch lever pulled in to get the clutch to fully "disengage". Last night high 50's and I let the bike warm up about 5-10 minutes. When I jumped on and pulled the clutch to shift into first, the bike lurched and stalled the engine..., felt like I put it in gear without disengaging the clutch. I'm hesitant to turn the clutch adjuster screw in further fearing too much preload and damage to the push rod, etc, but maybe that's what it will take to release the clutch plates further? About 55,000 miles on the bike and I'm assuming the clutch may be original. FYI I'm still running the clutch dry, breather engine oil only. I haven't owned the bike that long so I'll rely on the feedback from those of you that have had more ownership & repair experience here. Thanks in advance! JR.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:08 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,679 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Lots of stuff to check, but - run-out of the pressure plate, oil on the discs or plates worn into the basket "dogs" are the most common reasons. Being temp related, I'd guess gummy discs....

Old 10-08-2009, 06:00 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Pull the clutch fibers and sand them down clean the stl plates with brake clean Give that a shot !

Old 10-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Ol' Biker
Novice
Smile 84 FXRT Bad Clutch Drag Probem FIXED!

Originally Posted by t150vej
Lots of stuff to check, but - run-out of the pressure plate, oil on the discs or plates worn into the basket "dogs" are the most common reasons. Being temp related, I'd guess gummy discs....
To t150vej & sqdealgeorge: Thank you both for your replies to my post "84 FXRT Bad Clutch Drag Problem". Excellent feedback, you’re both right! Saturday AM I installed a new set of Drag Spec kevlar & steel plates. (Early clutch, 5 friction 4 steel.) I figured it was probably the original clutch (looks like it), and probably gummed up (it was). To me it made more sense to just install new plates than maybe waste time cleaning up the (very) old. Besides, all the new stuff online was about $125, which didn’t strike me as overly expensive. There’s some bearing & pins wear but nothing that struck me as too excessive so back together it went, Problem solved! No more sticking or drag at any time and now the trans shifts like butta’. Provided the clutch & cable is adjusted properly, I’d recommend this fix to anyone I’ve seen on this forum complaining of banging into 1st, creeping at idle, hard to get into neutral, etc. (Just my $.02 worth.) My old sled goes down the road WAY better now! (Now if the weather would only warm up a little again…) Thanks again, from Da Ol’ Biker!

Last edited by Ol' Biker; 10-12-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Ol' Biker
Novice
Smile 84 FXRT Bad Clutch Drag Probem FIXED!

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
Pull the clutch fibers and sand them down clean the stl plates with brake clean Give that a shot !
To t150vej & sqdealgeorge: Thank you both for your replies to my post "84 FXRT Bad Clutch Drag Problem". Excellent feedback, you’re both right! Saturday AM I installed a new set of Drag Spec kevlar & steel plates. (Early clutch, 5 friction 4 steel.) I figured it was probably the original clutch (looks like it), and probably gummed up (it was). To me it made more sense to just install new plates than maybe waste time cleaning up the (very) old. Besides, all the new stuff online was about $125, which didn’t strike me as overly expensive. There’s some bearing & pins wear but nothing that struck me as too excessive so back together it went, Problem solved! No more sticking or drag at any time and now the trans shifts like butta’. Provided the clutch & cable is adjusted properly, I’d recommend this fix to anyone I’ve seen on this forum complaining of banging into 1st, creeping at idle, hard to get into neutral, etc. (Just my $.02 worth.) My old sled goes down the road WAY better now! (Now if the weather would only warm up a little again…) Thanks again, from Da Ol’ Biker!